Season is GETTING close | Scent Use

Snort / Wheez, Rattlin', Grunt... How do you draw in those big boys?
TradRag
Site Admin
Season is GETTING close | Scent Use

Post by TradRag » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:05 pm

What are you all using for scents? Cover, estrus, scraps, etc. Always tried the Tinks but looking for something a bit different. Do you use a drag rag? Mock Scrap?

Is last years Doe pee need to go in the trash? What about the tarsal gland in my freezer..? Chunk it out?
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

sharkbaitffd
4X4 Bull

Re: Season is GETTING close | Scent Use

Post by sharkbaitffd » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:40 pm

Bryan,

Is it about that time!! I really can't say enough for tink's scents and lures. I love making a mock scrap if I find good buck sign in the area, such as other scrapes and rubs, and throwing their trophy buck lure in it for around pre-rut. I really think they don't like the competition. It's really nice in late october when they start to mull around and find your scrape and come a week later their looking to stomp the buck that made that scrap (you!!). Rattling has been good this time, but nothing close close. But my favorite is scent-bombs with the doe-in-rut lure in 45's from my stand (when the scent cuts from left to right or right to left) during the rut. My hunting buddy had a shot at a monster last season with the mock scraps along a low creek in our property. But hey, just my 2 cents. At least you'll be huntin'!

Brandon

P.S. If last years urine still makes you almost cry a little when you smell it....it's good!
Count it all joy, my brethren, when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
-James 1:2-4-

Arwin
4X4 Bull

Post by Arwin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:13 pm

Everything made by Outdoor Success!! :dance:
I had a great season last fall and it was my first year using it. Check out Robs web site at: http://www.outdoorsuccess.net for some great photos and videos. 8-)
I shot that mammoth doe in my avatar using his scents and deer grunt. She took over a mock scrape I made. :shock:
"If you kill it and eat it, you are a hunter. If someone else kills it and you eat it, you are a scavenger."
St. Joe River Bows- carbon/boo "Vader" longbow
Outdoor Success Calls and Scents
MBH & MLA

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:22 am

Arwin wrote:Everything made by Outdoor Success!! :dance:
I had a great season last fall and it was my first year using it. Check out Robs web site at: http://www.outdoorsuccess.net for some great photos and videos. 8-)
I shot that mammoth doe in my avatar using his scents and deer grunt. She took over a mock scrape I made. :shock:
Great! I'll check it out. Maybe I can Rob to Pro Staff me like you are.?? :mrgreen:
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

TWOFEATHERS
5X5 Bull

Post by TWOFEATHERS » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:14 am

Bryan, The tarsel glands I have from last year, I put them in a small canning jar and add buck urine that I saved from the bladder in with it, i then freeze till the next time i hunt with scent, I use it up with n a couple hunts! Works real good in mock scrapes up here in ny starting around second to last week of oct! I havent bought commerical scents in 10 years or so as I collect deer urine in the winter, I find fresh pee in the snow and scoop it into a plastic zip lock and maybe a handful for deer rasins in with it! It's all cheap and easy and works!! I do freeze the zip lock pee and turds till Useage! But with that all said, I used to use tinks all the time and had real good sucsess with it!!
I always carry a small emty bottle in my pack so when I do get a deer I can save the bladder full of pee from bucks or does and label it as such with a date! I spend more time saving the bladders than it takes to feild dress! Never had a deer yet with an emty bladder,but it could happen!!
Kajikastik R.C. 55#@28"/L.B.57#@28"/.54cal cabelas hawken kit gun And a .45 cal kentucky pederzolli -and now a new .54 cal GP flintlock kit gun/AT HOME IN THE WOODS,I FEEL FREE AND VERY MUCH ALIVE!!!!!

robert n leeper
5X5 Bull

Post by robert n leeper » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:53 am

doe pee is good, buck pee is good also. but apple juice or squished apples on the trail also draw the bucks in and the does. as a cover scent i make my own. oak leaves and walnuts and cedar branches and acorns in a large pot of boiling water make for a great
cover scent . i put some in a spray bottle and sqirt a mist and walk through it a few times then spray off my leggings and boots . then the walnut hulls i use later for
ink and dye once they darken and get mushy.
Joseph had a coat of many colors, mine are green brown tan and gray
member: Team hornaday
depthcharge559@gmail.com
powderkeg@blogger.com