Call Problems

Share your Elk Hunting experiences.
sharkbaitffd
4X4 Bull
Call Problems

Post by sharkbaitffd » Wed May 19, 2010 5:38 pm

All,
Started playing around with the mello yellow mama I got from elknut and watching "mastering the mouth reed". My turkey calls are much smaller...I can get some sound from it but the tape is coming down the sides of my teeth...do I need to trim it so all it's touching is gum???? Thanks!

Brandon
Count it all joy, my brethren, when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
-James 1:2-4-

TradRag
Site Admin

Re: Call Problems

Post by TradRag » Wed May 19, 2010 7:23 pm

Brandon, I don't trim mine and I have some that tape that touches. You could be have the problems I had at first with too much pressure or simply not getting the call towards the front of your mouth (back of front teeth). ElkNut pent some time on the phone with me about a year ago as I was getting more of a turkey sound instead of elk. He helped with the the call placement, tongue pressure, and air flow. It still took me a few evenings but I have got it. Try moving to call forward and not 'forcing' air across the reeds.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

sharkbaitffd
4X4 Bull

Post by sharkbaitffd » Thu May 20, 2010 1:06 pm

Just got off the phone with Paul...have the same turkey sound problems. Not used to how little air you have to give it, but I'll just keep at it. The more I practice I can feel how hard it is to get a good seal against the roof of your mouth and around the teeth. Thanks for the help. But the sounds I make now are natural dog repellent...just ask my lab. :D
Count it all joy, my brethren, when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Thu May 20, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks for the help. But the sounds I make now are natural dog repellent...just ask my lab.
The family will be next. Mine always run or get away from me as I may embarrass them. :mrgreen:
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

sharkbaitffd
4X4 Bull

Post by sharkbaitffd » Thu May 20, 2010 4:49 pm

A friend of ours daughter loves the movie Polar Express...when she was over around Christmas time and I let out a bugle from the back bedroom. You could hear her in the living room ask her dad "daddy...where's the caribou". Maybe some elk someday will be as convinced as she was! :rolf:

sharkbaitffd
4X4 Bull

Post by sharkbaitffd » Fri May 21, 2010 2:53 pm

Started to make some convincing cow talk/chatter this morning and feeling as if the call is fitting better in my mouth....just keeping at it ;)

>>>---WW---->
4X4 Bull

Post by >>>---WW----> » Sat May 22, 2010 6:04 pm

If you are good at turkey sounds, you should be able to make good elk sounds as well.

Maybe the Mellow Yellow just isn't the one for you. Personally, I really like the Herd Master. Also, the Raging Bull and the Scream-N-Tormentor. They are all made by Bugling Bull and Elknut sells them all. I carry all three of them when I'm on the hunt. I was lucky enough to qualify for the world with the Raging Bull.

But in all actuallity, I call my Herd Master the Star Trek. When it comes to elk sounds it can go where no elk has dared to go. LOL! Give Paul a call. I know he'll be happy to set you up with a call that may work better for you.

Just remember, the very best call is the call that works best for you. But once you have mastered it, you should be able to get good sounds fron almost anything out there.

sharkbaitffd
4X4 Bull

Post by sharkbaitffd » Sat May 22, 2010 9:55 pm

I feel like I'm doing a lot better with the yellow...learning to control my tongue pressure/air and the like. I also had to chew it up...I mean CHEW it up...once it loosened up it started working much better. Still working on cow sounds (I'll even record myself to make sure I'm progressing) and watching the videos...as much as my wife allows :lol: