Washington Roosevelt Elk Hunt

Share your Elk Hunting experiences.
stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull
Washington Roosevelt Elk Hunt

Post by stiknstringbow » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:30 am

Anybody want to hunt Roosevelt Elk in Washington ?
Let me explain, I am a fan of Elknut, his DVD's filled in the blanks from 20 years of calling, now I am confident enough to take others out and teach them what I know, and provide a comfortable (tent) camp, get into Elk and provide shot opportunnities.
After I have shared a camp with a few hunters, and demonstrated my ability to provide comfortable sleeping quarters, good food, and provide reasonnable opportunnity at "Any legal" elk, then I am going to begin building my own outfitter/guide business.
BUT, I AM NOT CHARGING ANY FEES at this time, merely inviting hunters to come hunt with me, and share expenses.
If you have ever dreamed of hunting Elk, but the costs associated with a guided hunt have kept you from it, I am offering to help.
I have room for 2 hunters, season is Sept. 4th-16th, "over the counter" unlimited tags, sleeping is in 12X19 Coleman tents, on queen sized air mattresses, bedding and food provided. Transportation to/from airport can be arranged.
The area is open for 3pt or better bull, or antlerless... not a "trophy hunt" but any legal elk is a "trophy" to me...
I am only asking for transportation and food compensation, no fees, and expect references including phone numbers for future clients in exchange.
I am attempting to begin a business, but not until I can establish a reputation.
So, I am asking for help, and offering to share a camp, not for "profit", but a beneficial exchange, you get a "guided" hunt without paying guide fees, I get to establish a reputation.

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Washington Roosevelt Elk Hunt

Post by Greywolf » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Wish I could see far enough into the future.... But right now I have a Corsican ram and a Red Stag at the Taxi that I'm gonna have to shovel out big bucks on bout then.

Good luck on your endeavor maybe we can work out a trade on a Hawaii Axis hunt for Rosie's ?
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

SHADE
Spike Bull

Post by SHADE » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:35 pm

I would be seriously interested in this. I am a resident of WA up in Lynden and have purchased 9 elk tags and only made it to the woods last year. (Family and work) I would love to learn more on what needs to be done to actually take an elk with my bow. Please PM me about what you would like to do. I already have the lisence but haven't chosen the tag. I am 53 years old and in fair condition. I have talked a lot and was pointed towards this post by GW.

stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Post by stiknstringbow » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:31 pm

I can only promise to put you on the Elk, actually harvesting one is the hard part !!
.I get a lot of chances, but in the "thick nasties" shots are usually close range with brush in the way, or 30-40 yards out in the open.
I sent you a PM, we will see what we can work out...

SHADE
Spike Bull

Post by SHADE » Tue May 01, 2012 4:14 pm

Thanks.

SHADE
Spike Bull

Post by SHADE » Fri May 11, 2012 3:49 pm

Have fun.

stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Post by stiknstringbow » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:48 am

I sure will, too bad you will not be able to make it.

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:33 pm

I can't make it this year but I'm planning on next yr for sure.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Post by stiknstringbow » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:41 am

Too bad, would really like "the festivities",
Labor Day Weekend Sea-fest.
Steamer Clams in a pesto cream sauce,
Fry-Bread with crab and artichoke heart dip.
Pan fried oysters,
"Poor mans Loster" (Sturgeon Chuncks poaced in Sprite, and doused in a Garlic butter.
Crunchy Razor Clamstrips, Hazelnut Crusted Soceye Steaks with a basil Cream sauce.
and whatever else someone brings to camp, (hope the river is open for Salmon), or any game, I hope to have Bear Burgers....

stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Post by stiknstringbow » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:54 am

Those that show up after opening day can expext to actually like fried Liver and onions with bacon, Heart sandwiches with horseradish and chease, onion.
Fresh backstrap with mushrooms, and (bacon wrapped)seared "hanging Tenders" (if you do not know what those are, you have not packed an elk yet, reserved for those that earned it)
Well, if you ever harvested an Elk, you know, the feasting commences, the heart/liver alone is more that 10 lbs of food,
backstrap,... well I probably could not cook it fast enough..
Still, meat is not a worry.
We will not even touch the second one, it will be in the locker..
Man, I can hardly wait,

Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Post by Oklahoma Leatherman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:22 am

Yummy! :campfire:
K.C. Kreger
SW Rep Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Custom Leathercrafter
www.swingingkdairygoatfarm.com
"Democracy is two wolves and a
lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well armed
lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Post by stiknstringbow » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Ya, we all have heard "the food was awesome !!" but will the hunting compaire ?
No matter how good the food is, sore feet and aching backs will be the price of success !!
I am not waiting for "next year" until this one is over.

marc
Spike Bull

Post by marc » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:39 pm

I wish I could but I bought an east side tag right after I moved here so I could apply for a big bull tag.
If you can read thank a teacher. If you can read in english thank a soldier.

stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Post by stiknstringbow » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:35 am

Good Luck anyhow !!
I quit hunting Manastash mostly due to having opportunnity on Branched bulls and not being able to even see a spike, unless it was a calf with a cow.
The last year I hunted there, I was drawn, spent 2 weeks attempting to get a 7X6, should have shot a cow, but you know how it is...
You see the one you want, and the others just get in the way.
Just to tease me, the whole herd would pass within 100 yards of my tent in the night, keeping me awake, then run me around all day, then again at night, I think my eyes were glowing red !!
Man !! I LOVE ELK SEASON !!

stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Post by stiknstringbow » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:41 am

I also, at the time, had not watched Elknuts DVD's, or read "The Playbook", actually filled in the blank spots from 20 years of calling.
I spent a lot of time seeing the mistakes I had made, and understanding how my calls (as good as they were) were not the right ones for the situation.
If you have not checked them out, do it, they will save you years of "trial and error".

Oklahoma Leatherman
TradRag Sponsor

Post by Oklahoma Leatherman » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:14 am

X2 on that loving Elk season! Maybe next year I can bring a few boy of mine and we can share a camp fire. Sure would be hard to go past our favorite place in the world to bow hunt elk, Southern Colorado.

Best of luck chasing those Roosevelt Elk this season!

K.C. <><
K.C. Kreger
SW Rep Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Custom Leathercrafter
www.swingingkdairygoatfarm.com
"Democracy is two wolves and a
lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well armed
lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Post by stiknstringbow » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:25 pm

I rounded up a couple new hunters, actually guys that have hunted with me in the past that found out about my endeavor and asked to participate.
:campfire:
It seems strange to me, having friends pay for my company, but sure will help out !!
Jeff is even bringing some Halibut steaks !!
We might just be too fat to get any hunting done, LOL !
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Post by stiknstringbow » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:50 am

I have not been on the internet due to some major difficulties in my health/pocketbook, but am back again. Last season resulted in only good times, no animals down and only 6 days to hunt, 3 no-shows for clients...
I had 4 coming this year, but again, they backed out due to family obligations, and other excuses, although I have received a deposit for next year, so I know they are serious.
Getting started in this industry without a reputation is pretty rough.
I again have a lot of interest in "next year" but no one for this season so am pretty discouraged.
Although my "significant other" encourages me by pointing out that not being on the internet for almost a year is a major reason I have no clients, I am still looking forward to getting out and hunting by myself.

stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Post by stiknstringbow » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:48 am

Set up camp Wednesday, packing up the family for the weekend, they come home Monday but I am gone until...
Wish me luck !!
Update coming in a couple weeks... :campfire:

Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Winter Hawk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:33 pm

Looking forward to the update! Hope you have good news for us!

-Kees-

Frosty the Bowman
5X5 Bull

Post by Frosty the Bowman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:00 am

Man oh man, I wish I had gotton my bow WAAAAYYYY earlier and had seen this thread a long time ago, I would have been all over it as I have a surplus of time this year, and nothing much to do with it.

Well maybe something can happen next year, who knows.

Keep us updated, and good luck, what a great offer you have shared with us, good luck on the business.

Frosty

stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Post by stiknstringbow » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:19 am

This season was really weird, had sun, rain, fog, thunder and lightning, a little bit of everything, but few bugles...
Matt from Wisconsin harvested a beautiful 5 point on second day of season behind one of the gates, using a longbow he made himself.
Both Gary and Chad from Washington had close up encounters with a small branched bull that they passed on because he was not clearly legal, even from 15 feet ! (although behind a root wad from blow-down) a few cows a little too far away...
Chanterelle's everywhere !
Fish in the lake were small, but a great time was had by all !
Making plans for next year, I (maybe) have 4 hunters planning on joining, but have learned that last minute things come up...
Attachments
2013 elk camp 2013-09-05 002(2) (600x336).jpg
2013 elk camp 2013-09-05 002(2) (600x336).jpg (65.44KiB)Viewed 19913 times

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:03 pm

That is a great thing your are doing. I hope and wish you great success when you get your business up and running.
I'd love to be one of the people next year. seems like you can get people closer than some of the other hunts I've been on. then again I don't know how to call either

Congrats to the guys who scored.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Post by stiknstringbow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:20 am

Cannot really claim any credit, Matt hunted by himself and after spotting a herd he slipped in close, made a few cow calls, and the bull came right to him. Gary hunted out of camp and walked trails.

The only one I called was with Chad, and he (the small bull) was so stupid, I accidently threw a coughing fit into my call sequence, but he came right at me, stopped at 40 yards behind the root-wad from a blowdown tree that Chad was standing behind, looking through a large whole, but all Chad could see was the kill zone, not the whole elk, and we had not determined whether the bull was legal. This same bull was bounced around the hill by another hunter, 4 different sightings, all called it a 3 point, but nobody could say for sure...next year he will be bigger.

All I really did was invite the hunters, set up camp, cook a few meals, and tell them where I had seen animals...

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:13 pm

All I really did was invite the hunters, set up camp, cook a few meals, and tell them where I had seen animals...

Thats more than what I've had on my two previous guided hunts.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Post by stiknstringbow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:29 pm

The "guide" part, to me, means just that, to guide...
"semi-guided" is when you point them in the right direction, with advice...
"outfitted" to me is when you provide food, shelter, and supplies ...
There seems to be a little controversy about Jim Shocky's daughter hunting near me in a blind over a pile of apples, not sure how that fits in, but it was another outfitter in our area, doing the same thing, with the same results, that prompted me to try this venture.
Seems to be more outfitters would put out more effort to make a client have a good experience, than putting out a pile of apples...
Customer service means more than just getting them an animal, and counting apples in a field while sitting in a blind... not my idea of Elk Hunting.
Funny how they only get a few...

stiknstringbow
4X4 Bull

Post by stiknstringbow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:33 pm

And just for clarification, she was not hunting near me personally , she was hunting Washington, for Roosevelts.

Bear Heart
Spike Bull

Post by Bear Heart » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:28 pm

I would really like to learn how to hunt rosies. Whatever I have been doing isn't working.