What is your hobby?

How many of you have one other than hunting?
>>>---WW---->
4X4 Bull
Re: What is your hobby?

Post by >>>---WW----> » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:13 pm

I'd really like to say my main hobby is bowhunting. But actually, it isn't a hobby, it's my life!!!

Spotted Bull
4X4 Bull

Post by Spotted Bull » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:41 pm

I would like to say that I have a really cool hobby. I love to shoot BP rifles and pistols and do that when ever possible. But when I am not at work, normally I am trying to get my degree in business admin! Luckily I am almost done with that! Wanna start gun building as soon as I get a shop built!

battman1
Spike Bull

Post by battman1 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:27 am

Really like shooting 3d archery tournaments.Getting into biulding my own bp stuff like knives and bags and that sort of thing.Like working with labs and hope to get into randezvous at some point.

LostHawg
Raghorn Bull

Post by LostHawg » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:31 am

I've got a guitar and a mandolin. I ain't no good, but it passes the time. I also have 3 kids at home and they're into basketball, football, track, band, and I enjoy watching them enjoy themselves...
Hunt, Fish, Pick and Grin; Ahhh, Country Livin. ;)

Okie Jim
Spike Bull

Post by Okie Jim » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:13 pm

Fishing and rock crawling, in Moab Utah.

Lance Coleman
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Lance Coleman » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:39 am

I'm a hunter by nature and a tinkerer at heart. My kids raise rabbits, my wife raises chickens, and I have a pasture full of boar goats. And I work full time as a carpenter. SO! If I aint huntin a critter, fishin for a critter, building something for a critter... I'm usually feedin a critter, nursing a critter, doctorin a critter or tendin to a critter.
It's not what you do............ It's how you do it.

Sparta-T
4X4 Bull

Post by Sparta-T » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:48 am

Traditional bowhunting/archery is my primary hobby and the one I spend the majority of my time either thinking or participating. We finally got a belated winter thaw this week and I couldn't wait to get outside with a judo arrow to shoot leaves and clumps of dirt. Good thing I did, as it snowed again last night.............. :roll: Through websites like this, I have made friends all around the country and shared some hunting adventures along the way. My wife and I, God willing, are planning a return to Kenai, AK in August to visit some dear friends and allow me to hunt moose again with my recurve.

Another of my interests is kayaking with my wife. We have sea kayaks to paddle local lakes and are blessed with a freshwater ocean (Lake Michigan) about 30 miles to the west of our home. My Jeep Cherokee continually wears a Yakima rack and twin kayak saddles for immediate access. If my regular computer was working, I would include a photo.

I've been in grad school on a part-time basis for three years and only have three more to go. ;) My degree program is 63 hours and it takes a while to accomplish a goal like that. Thus some of my other interests such as fly fishing and Okinawan karate have shifted to the back burner for a while. I continue to train when I have a spare minute and sneak in a few weight training workouts a week to stay in shape.

Last but certainly not least is my faith, which I consider a very wise investment in the future. Both my wife and I are deeply involved in our local church and that of course takes up some time. Our two kids are both college age and living away from home as they finish their education and establish adult lives, so we are empty-nesting it the past year (and loving it).

TL

Roger Norris
4X4 Bull

Post by Roger Norris » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:11 am

Traditional archery is my #1, hobby, but hunting in general is a close second. I'm also involved in handguns, for both hunting and personal protection. I love flintlocks, but don't get out with them enough. My wife and I spend as much time on our boat as possible.

Participating with my kids is my wife and I's number one event though....the oldest is in college so he's rather low maintenance, but we have a Varsity lacrosse player and a Varsity competitive cheerleader (my daughter will be on ESPN next month) .
"Youv'e come far Pilgrim"......."Feels like far".....

Dick in Seattle
Spike Bull

Post by Dick in Seattle » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:28 pm

Actually, I don't hunt, but I love trad archery and recently began building bows. I also collect, restore and use antique sewing machines... treadles and hand cranks. I run a huge website devoted to them, and an international email list of 2000 folks. My sewing with them is quilting, which I teach, and making giant power lifting kites so that large teddy bears in full jump suits can parachute down from them.... What can I say, i never grew up.

Dick in seattle

Many Hats
4X4 Bull

Post by Many Hats » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:41 pm

Besides hunting, target archery with longbow, and recurve, muzzleloading reinactments, leatherwork, fishing, guitar playing, except I shouldn't say guitar picking is a hobby, since I've made my living at it for the last 53 years. I also make all my own possables that I can. :)

nelieg37
Raghorn Bull

Post by nelieg37 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:17 pm

One of my other hobbies is playing music and batteling other muscians in Riff fighting.... here is one... I am on the left.. this is back in the late 1950's... The battle of the Saxes (Axes.. could be with a guitarist of other soloist) Thanks for rooting for me... King Tut(Jim)
Attachments
MACK FREDERICK, MY BROTHER IN LAW, & ME,  JIM[KING TUT] IN BATTLE OF THE AXES.. CIRCA 1955
MACK FREDERICK, MY BROTHER IN LAW, & ME, JIM[KING TUT] IN BATTLE OF THE AXES.. CIRCA 1955
Last edited by nelieg37 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nelieg37
Raghorn Bull

Post by nelieg37 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:36 pm

/Users/nelliegault/Desktop/500px-Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg
Attachments
Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse
Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse
Last edited by nelieg37 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3blades
Spike Bull

Post by 3blades » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:58 am

I like to homebrew and woodwork mostly. Hiking with my boys too and building decks and such for friends.

nelieg37
Raghorn Bull

Post by nelieg37 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:23 pm

FARMING UDER THE INFLUENCE.. UNDERGROUND SUB
FARMING UDER THE INFLUENCE.. UNDERGROUND SUB
/Users/nelliegault/Desktop/Image-8.jpg/Users/nelliegault/Desktop/Image-7.jpg/Users/nelliegault/Desktop/Image-6.jpg/Users/nelliegau/Users/nelliegault/Desktop/Image-3.jpglt/Desktop/Image-5.jpg/Users/nelliegault/Desktop/Image-4.jpg/Users/nelliegault/Desktop/Image-2.jpg/Users/nelliegault/Desktop/Image-1.jpg/Users/nelliegault/Desktop/mail.jpeg

nelieg37
Raghorn Bull

Post by nelieg37 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:30 pm

DUI-FUI .. CRASING & CRUSHING GRAIN FOR MORE D[F]UI
DUI-FUI .. CRASING & CRUSHING GRAIN FOR MORE D[F]UI

nelieg37
Raghorn Bull

Post by nelieg37 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:37 pm

/Users/nelliegault/Desktop/Image-6.jpg
LEAP FROG FARMING IN A 65 MPH SPEED ZONE FUI
LEAP FROG FARMING IN A 65 MPH SPEED ZONE FUI
/Users/nelliegault/Desktop/Image-5.jpg
Attachments
HARROWING THE LAKE IS NOT PERMISSABLE, EVEN DUI WHILE FARMING
HARROWING THE LAKE IS NOT PERMISSABLE, EVEN DUI WHILE FARMING

nelieg37
Raghorn Bull

Post by nelieg37 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:47 pm

PLEASE TAKE TURNS ONE AT A TIME
PLEASE TAKE TURNS ONE AT A TIME
PUSHING IN ON GRAIN BIN NOT A GREAT WAY TO GET ACCESS FOR MORE CORN TO MAKE CORN WSKY
PUSHING IN ON GRAIN BIN NOT A GREAT WAY TO GET ACCESS FOR MORE CORN TO MAKE CORN WSKY
YOU NEED TO BURN OFF IN WINTER, NOT SCRAPE OFF
YOU NEED TO BURN OFF IN WINTER, NOT SCRAPE OFF
/Users/nelliegault/Desktop/Image-4.jpg

nelieg37
Raghorn Bull

Post by nelieg37 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:34 pm

I KNOW DIESEL IS HIGH BUT NOT THAT HIGH.. SO YOU CAN NOT USE THAT ELECTRICITY YET
I KNOW DIESEL IS HIGH BUT NOT THAT HIGH.. SO YOU CAN NOT USE THAT ELECTRICITY YET

nelieg37
Raghorn Bull

Post by nelieg37 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:41 pm

PILOTS ONLY MAY "DITCH", BUT YOU DID NOT EVEN EJECT BEFORE YOU HIT THE DITCH
PILOTS ONLY MAY "DITCH", BUT YOU DID NOT EVEN EJECT BEFORE YOU HIT THE DITCH

SADDLEBUM2009
Spike Bull

Post by SADDLEBUM2009 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:45 pm

I'll have to add self bows to my list also, but in the past my hobbies were and are:

Riding the woods on horseback
hunting/fishing
pistol shooting
leather work
dutch oven cooking
camping (of course)
and now self bow making (I'm already looking to build another since Ojam 5 - which should be complete - with finish in about a week (if I can find the funds - Yew)

John Berger
Spike Bull

Post by John Berger » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:55 pm

Horses, packing and riding, preparing to go elk hunting mostly. I keep 10-12 head of big stout quarterhorses, cowboy colors. Always have one or two young horses I am breaking to ride and bringing along. Putting up hay for horses takes up some of my summertime and I feed them everyday. I make my equipment, halters, pack harness. I have a machine shop and like to fabricate stuff out of steel. I am putting the finishing touches on a new 2burner forge this week, to go along with my homemade powerhammer. Not enough time for my side projects, may need to quit my day job.

Ironwood
Spike Bull

Post by Ironwood » Fri May 22, 2009 10:54 am

Well I guess I'd just about have to say Photography is first. Then a very close second, anything to do with muzzleloading. As a spin off from muzzleloading I got into leather working. Leather working is gaining fast! :D
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago

woodsman1031
4X4 Bull

Post by woodsman1031 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:40 pm

When I am not shooting my bow or hunting I like to make knives from saw blades. I used to build solid body guitars, but I stopped a few years ago. I am about to get started on that again :D .

Tommy
JESUS SAVES!!!!

highnoonhunter
TradRag Sponsor

Post by highnoonhunter » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:08 pm

Besides Archery, I enjoy trying my hand at:
leatherworking & Making and playing Appalachian Dulcimers.

hnh
But first, before you can blow the bugle horn, or follow the hounds, you must be content to chase the woodpecker.
~Maurice Thompson-1878~

www.highnoonhunterleatherworks.webs.com

MartinD
Spike Bull

Post by MartinD » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:42 pm

Besides archery and deer hunting with other weapons I cultivate and grow my collection of Bonsai trees.

Wary Buck
Spike Bull

Post by Wary Buck » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:14 pm

I was a serious long-distance runner back in the day, have coached it the past quarter-century or so, and am trying to get back to it now.

I also have an extensive collection of old paper shotgun shell boxes, the old wooden ammo crates (about an even 100 different of the latter) and old shotgun shells. Some really cool stuff.

I also like to write about the outdoors and running and life in general, and published a book in 2008, My Neck of the Woods.

GERRY FIEGL
Spike Bull

Post by GERRY FIEGL » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:07 pm

Hey canerod, besides building bows I too have been bitten by the cane rod building. Unfortunately I only have time for about one or two a year. It's a terrible sickness but I really enjoy it.

hairy beaver
TradRag Sponsor

Post by hairy beaver » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:15 pm

wow , where do i begin on this one ?
Being raised by a machinest / gunsmith i'm seriously into gun collecting , mostly the older side by sides , I fish with a religion, mainley jig fishing around docks and brush piles for monster crappie , i tie all my own jigs just for that purpose , ill fish for anything that swims , just love feeling something alive on the other end of my line. I'm mostly an upland bird hunter and love calling in the gobblers but enjoy a good squirrel or rabbit hunt out by myself with my dog , i can't really say that i build knives because i buy the steele but i enjoy working on adding a handle and have put togeather several nice ones , i'm an amature wood butcher having built a couple tables and shelves for my home , i have a pretty good collection of the older recurves and longbows but mostly i enjoy the release of an arrow , just to get outside and shoot is a pure joy for me ,, now if i could just hit what i'm shooting at ! HB
No matter where you go , There you are

bowhunter
Spike Bull

Post by bowhunter » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:47 pm

flyfishing , elk hunting - bowhunting ofcourse , just starting a broadhead collection any sugestions ?

Bowferd
Spike Bull

Post by Bowferd » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:26 pm

I seem to spend all of my free time on the workbench straightening, sealing, and staining sticks of all kinds. I 'm addicted to making arrows and have more than I will ever use. Just recently started selling some of the bamboo arrows on auction. There isn't enough money in it for the time involved but at least I'm getting some return on my investment. :arrow:
Ponder the past, live in the present, dream of the future.