A miracle this morning (It's been shipped)

How many of you have one other than hunting?
Greywolf
Global Moderator
A miracle this morning (It's been shipped)

Post by Greywolf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:16 pm

I'd like to share with my brothers here something that happened to me just this morning, first a little history

My brother passed way 3.5 yrs ago from Leukemia. He had a few guns and love to shoot.
During one of his numerous trips to Hawaii he shot one of my recurves and wanted one, so I built him a recurve and taught him how to shoot over the phone.
On his last trip here to Hawaii, He even shot a Boar with his recurve and I made the tusks into a necklace for him. His one and only traditional hunt and the Trad Gods smiled on him big time.
We would talk on the phone constantly, about guns,bows,hunting and
I told him I was looking for a 45LC single action cowboy gun, just by chance a co worker of his needed money so he offered my brother a 45LC cowboy gun for $50.00.

He razzed me that he had bought it,you know the usual things a big brother teases the younger brother with. During my quick trips back to Indiana most of the time, seemed like there was never enough time to go to the range.
On my last trip we finally made the time to go shoot it, He had the biggest smile on his face when it roared and flames shot out a couple of feet with the cowboy loads, I said, That is how I want to remember you, with just that smile. Little did I know that would be the last time for us to do something together.

He offered the 45LC to me on the last visit and I said No, I don't want to take a chance getting that hunk of junk back to Hawaii. But after your gone it'll be a priceless heirloom.
He had instructed his best friend to get it repaired and timed because it was off slightly. That December he passed and per his wishes it was taken to a gun dealer to be sent off and repaired.
Long story short the Gun dealer went out of business and no record of where or who he had sent the gun to for repair and since it wasn't registered and no way to get it back, it was just gone !!

Ok, fast forward three and a half years later to 6 am this morning, my cell phone rings me out of a sound sleep, I hear... Mark, it's Paul in Indiana, He says to me "ole buddy I got your brothers gun back !, I have it in my possession right now,Holster and all"

3.5 years lost it's finally found ! He along with another friend of my brothers found it, in another state and it was bought at auction, Paul had the partial serial number written down, the first 5 of the 7 numbers matched as did the 2 symbols on the trigger guard.
It was my brother 45LC pistol !!!

He said it's at a gunsmiths place being repaired, it is now registered and it has be send to my FFL guy and it'll finally be home.
Other than the memories and a few pictures was all I had, now I'll soon have his pistol in my safe.

Sorry if the story seems a little scatter brained , but I'm still in awe and disbelief. All I can say is, "it's a miracle"
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

Newkirk Jerry
5X5 Bull

Re: A miracle this morning

Post by Newkirk Jerry » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:08 pm

What are the chances of finding that gun again after that? A miracle indeed. Happy that your going to have the gun again one day. Priceless.

VT Surf-N-Turf
5X5 Bull

Post by VT Surf-N-Turf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Amazing. I'm really happy for you. I lost my grandfathers falling block "Ward" .22 short that he had as a 10 year old. When he gave it to me a couple of years before he passed he said he used to put 10 rounds a day through it back in 1920. My parents aren't "gun people" so I didn't get much of a chance to shoot it. I just stashed it under my bed and would get it out on occasion and think about him. When I went off to college 30 years ago my parents found it under my bed and gave it away because they "weren't comfortable having a weapon in the house". I still fume about that one at times but mostly I've been able to let it go.
I'm really happy that you're getting that small piece of your brother's memory back. It's great how what he wanted for you is actually coming to pass.
...and if you should find a single shot .22 short made by Ward with a lever action falling block and the initials E.H. carved in the forearm... I'll pay you triple what it takes to pick it up!
Traditional Bow Hunting: So easy a caveman can do it!

Poggins
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Poggins » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:23 pm

Glad to hear that , most don't ever think about small items like that can mean so mutch until it's lost or stolen , then they start to really think about it and miss it . My family has lost several guns and other items that had been passed down or they grew up with, my grandfather and his brother were given a matched set of left and right pistols to them from a family member that rode with ether Jessy James or the wild bunch , both pistols burnt in two deferant house fires. Things like that can't be replaced . Glad to hear yours got back to you.

eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by eddie c » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:17 am

all i can say is WOW and SWEET.
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1

FullDraw
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by FullDraw » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

In my opinion, it's a God thing, Mark. One of those miracles that's impossible to explain. I'm wearing a huge smile just imagining your surprise at receiving this blessing.
N.E. Representative Oklahoma Selfbow Society (OSS)
Member - Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Member - NWTF - Eastern Oklahoma County Strutters
Life member NRA
U.S. Army - Vietnam Veteran
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, ... Proverbs 1:7a

Jesse Minish
4X4 Bull

Post by Jesse Minish » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:13 am

Awesome! :dance:

Randy M
Spike Bull

Post by Randy M » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:32 am

Outstanding story. Thanks for sharing.

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:52 pm

I just got off the phone with my brothers friend Paul and he relayed the story of the last 3 yrs. People are amazing when given the chance, He started off with the partial number and the work order for the the pistol, it went to a guy in the southern part of indiana for the repair/replacement of the cylinder pin and timing. then when it was learned the gun shop went out of business he contacted the shop owner who basically said "Go blow wind" !! So the gun was kept for payment, it was offered for sale and was bought by a guy from Ohio, it went to Ohio then to 4 other owners in a couple of years. The final owner lived in another state all together. (sorry I forget what state he said)
Ok, back up to the original gun shop gun where it was originally taken in the first place.
Paul had the repair ticket number, that's where it started, then all along the way, Paul would tell the story of it being my brothers pistol and what was suppose to happen to it and it was suppose to end up in Hawaii in my safe, State and county sheriffs, called a dealers and shops in their areas till they found one guy who had that had it in for the initial repair, His keeping of the pistol was for non payment, but since he knew it was in a foreclosed business he was suppose to send it back and make a claim for repair only.

Well, Now enter the Indiana Chief of police, he started the search for every person that the pistol was passed to, when it crossed state lines (which it did 2- 3 times) he called the Chief of that state relay the story and ask for assistance, at NO time Paul said, was there a rejection of help. It seemed like everyone made it a priority to look for the next person in line. As it turned out, it was in fact back in Indiana, the officer was able to walk up to the door with a reclamation order and take possession of the pistol. Because the numbers were incomplete they couldn't prove it was in fact that Pistol and so it became property of the original Gun shop owner because of the repair order number.

Ok, Now it has to be sold as part of the foreclosure, all things that belonged to the gun shop was packed up and shipped to Atlanta Georgia to be sold per the court ordered foreclosure. Paul went to Atlanta and explained the story to the auction administrator and he said, We don't know what the final price of the item will be but, you Sir will be the last bidder, it will be your pistol. $725.00 later it belonged to Paul.
Because paul lives in Indiana and the gun was sold in Georgia, He couldn't be a legal gun purchaser he wasn't a resident or a dealer. The chief of Police for Atlanta was at the auction also, he is in charge of the all gun related auctions. Paul told him the story and the 3 yr tracking job. He ask Paul, are you licensed to carry in Indiana? Paul said Yes, Sir I am and produced his CCL the Chief smiled and said I can Issue you a temporary License here in the state of Georgia. You can register it here and then transfer owner ship to your Indiana CCL. He turned to Paul and asked , Where is the final stop for this pistol? Paul smiled and said Hawaii and he has no Idea that I have it and he knows for a fact it's lost forever, all because of the mess the gun shop owner caused. The Chief asked when the call was going to be made? Paul said as soon as I get back to Indiana and have it in my possession.

There were a lot of people who got personally involved, all because it was "The right thing to do"
These unsung hero's will always be special in my heart for doing the right thing, when called upon to step up to the plate. Paul did say, 3 yr=ears is a long time but, I didn't think it would be this short of time, or actually how long. but, it was something I had to do, how ever long it took, .... it just had to be done.

Paul said the Gunsmith would try to get it finished as soon as he could, but, with the 4th of July coming up , he said it'd probably be the week after. I'm just waiting on a call from the Gunsmith to tell me all the registration info so I can start the paper work here on my end.

I will have 2 priceless firearms in my safe, my Fathers 22/410 Stevens over and under Dad taught me how to shoot and hunt with, Plus my brothers 45LC pistol.

I know I said this before. But it is a miracle. if it wasn't for Paul persistence it would have been lost for ever.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Re: A miracle this morning (more info added)

Post by jmichelin84 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:50 pm

Thats amazing Mark, i wish i could find a rear sight for my dads old Model 94 leveraction 30-30 rifle, and had the skills to repair the old bolt action .22 rifle my grand father gave my dad, im no gun smith just a grease monkey LOL
Living off the land with tools that you have created yourself, is life its self, quote from my Grand Father

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: A miracle this morning (It's been shipped)

Post by Greywolf » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:35 pm

Got a call from Paul in Indiana couple days ago, he said the pistol is finished and ready to be shipped to Hawaii to my FFL

just got a call that it's been packed and has or ready to be shipped. (that part was unclear)
Once it arrives in Hawaii, and is received by the FFL dealer, then he'll register it and I can send in my "Permit to Acquire" , Then after a two week waiting period, I can get my brothers pistol and register it for the last time in my name.

Wow, what a ordeal... I had completely given up on ever getting it back. I have a special box of loads to go shoot it at the range......just to make the circle complete.

I'll post some pic of it when I get it. I'm not getting to excited yet, but it's building, I can tell !!

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:39 pm

jmichelin84 wrote:Thats amazing Mark, i wish i could find a rear sight for my dads old Model 94 leveraction 30-30 rifle, and had the skills to repair the old bolt action .22 rifle my grand father gave my dad, im no gun smith just a grease monkey LOL
Google Dixie Gun Works in Tennessee they will have the rear sight, as for the .22 Got any gunsmiths on the island?

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Post by jmichelin84 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:06 pm

Greywolf wrote:
jmichelin84 wrote:Thats amazing Mark, i wish i could find a rear sight for my dads old Model 94 leveraction 30-30 rifle, and had the skills to repair the old bolt action .22 rifle my grand father gave my dad, im no gun smith just a grease monkey LOL
Google Dixie Gun Works in Tennessee they will have the rear sight, as for the .22 Got any gunsmiths on the island?
none at all, id have to send it to the states and it will be too costly LOL, oh well LOL
Living off the land with tools that you have created yourself, is life its self, quote from my Grand Father

Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Winter Hawk » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:23 pm

What a great story! The Good Lord was surely looking after you. And what a great friend your brother had in Paul; it's hard to find good people like that anymore. That is surely an inspiration to all of us on how to treat our fellow man!

jmichelin84, here is a link to Numrich Gun Parts Corp. for the model 94 Winchester. You will be looking for parts 1 and 2.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Pro ... catid=7525 There may be a problem getting those to you. The US government has stopped shipment out of the country for firearms and parts to a great extent. Some folks have no problems, others can't get parts to save their souls. Good luck!

-Kees-

jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Post by jmichelin84 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:27 pm

Winter Hawk wrote:What a great story! The Good Lord was surely looking after you. And what a great friend your brother had in Paul; it's hard to find good people like that anymore. That is surely an inspiration to all of us on how to treat our fellow man!

jmichelin84, here is a link to Numrich Gun Parts Corp. for the model 94 Winchester. You will be looking for parts 1 and 2.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Pro ... catid=7525 There may be a problem getting those to you. The US government has stopped shipment out of the country for firearms and parts to a great extent. Some folks have no problems, others can't get parts to save their souls. Good luck!

-Kees-
Thanks Grey wolf ans Winter Hawk, and yes the problem is they cant send the parts to me, and years ago dad bought a mess of .22 rear sights he had one one and had to twist the gun to hit the mark LOL

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Post by Greywolf » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:16 am

the call finally happened past Friday afternoon I've been waiting on....
Got the okay and all the info from the FFL dealer, on my brothers pistol which is now in the state.
Hawaii law requires a "Permit to acquire" for each pistol you want to acquire. you can do 6 at a time before the ATF comes knocking to see why your stock piling weapons.
Long guns, rifles and shotguns and Black powder guns can be purchased on a year long permit to acquire. As many as you like, have no clue why it takes 2 weeks for each handgun, guess those are more dangerous than a long gun.

So Paper work is in (Wow, it was a long Holiday weekend too)Now the process of waiting for two weeks to pass.
So,I'm getting excited. The 18th can't get here quick enough.
Pictures to follow as soon as I have it in my possession.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

jmichelin84
4X4 Bull

Post by jmichelin84 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:43 am

Greywolf wrote:the call finally happened past Friday afternoon I've been waiting on....
Got the okay and all the info from the FFL dealer, on my brothers pistol which is now in the state.
Hawaii law requires a "Permit to acquire" for each pistol you want to acquire. you can do 6 at a time before the ATF comes knocking to see why your stock piling weapons.
Long guns, rifles and shotguns and Black powder guns can be purchased on a year long permit to acquire. As many as you like, have no clue why it takes 2 weeks for each handgun, guess those are more dangerous than a long gun.

So Paper work is in (Wow, it was a long Holiday weekend too)Now the process of waiting for two weeks to pass.
So,I'm getting excited. The 18th can't get here quick enough.
Pictures to follow as soon as I have it in my possession.
Glad to hear Mark, i hope you post some pics when you get it :D