Custom bowyer quoted time...

Selfbows, Longbows, Recurves, Hybrids
sharkbaitffd
4X4 Bull
Custom bowyer quoted time...

Post by sharkbaitffd » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:11 pm

All,

I was fortunate enough to contact a custom bowyer and request a takedown recurve to be built for me. I wanted a cocobolo riser sandwiching bubinga, bubinga backing, and canebrake skins on the limbs. He quoted me december of last year that it would be complete....it's March...and I call and it's either this isn't in...or that's not in. What should I do?????? Is it normal for a bowyer to go over this long? I don't think I"m being unrealistic. Thanks for the input.

Brandon
Count it all joy, my brethren, when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
-James 1:2-4-

Greywolf
Global Moderator

Re: Custom bowyer quoted time...

Post by Greywolf » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:02 pm

He's only 2 months off, that's not a uncommon thing. Just depends on how busy he is (sounds like he is which is a good thing).

When I was looking for a body guy to do some work on my 64.5 Ford mustang, if someone said, I can do it for you in 3-4 weeks tops, I said thanks and went on lookin, the guy I went with told me, I don't know how long it will take, just depends on what I find and how bad it is. he said I'll give you a best and worst scenerio, it's be no less than $XXXX and no more than $XXXX, If is see I'm getting close to the high number I'll call you.

I said great when can I drop it off.........he had it for almost 3 months, I rented a car for thew Alpha Female for the whole time. the car has zero bondo in it.

So, I know you want your bow, he knows that too, the faster he gets done the faster he gets his final payment. but he's not going to rush it. that's just the way it is his name and quality is in that bow.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii

Night Wing
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Night Wing » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:11 pm

I have two Blacktail TDs. Norm Johnson of Blacktail Bows is the custom bowyer. On Norm's order form, it says there is a 9-12 month wait. Before I mailed the order form, I called Norm and he told me the wait for my first Blacktail would be 13 months. My first Blacktail took 13 months. It was the best shooting recurve I've ever shot and so I ordered a second Blacktail. I called Norm again and he said the wait for my second Blacktail would be 15 months. My second Blacktail took 15 months.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. SPD: 185 fps. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. SPD: 174 fps. GPP: 11.37

sharkbaitffd
4X4 Bull

Post by sharkbaitffd » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:15 pm

Mark,

As always you offer sage advice. I'm trying to be as patient as I can it's just hard when I dont hear anything from him. I will keep patient and see what's happening. Thanks again...and you've got quite the car on your hands...the "halfs" are hard to come by. :77:

Brandon
Count it all joy, my brethren, when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

sharkbaitffd
4X4 Bull

Post by sharkbaitffd » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:23 pm

Night wing

I was told 4 months and it's going on 7. Plus I have the issue with there always being "something else" that he's waiting on...or something that "didn't come in yet".

Bowman
5X5 Bull

Post by Bowman » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:52 am

A bowyer should never go over there scheduled time more than a few weeks Things do happen though so the bowyer should be in constant communication with the person that placed the order
St. Joe River Longbow 50@28 62"
Muzzy Phantoms SS
www.stjoeriverbows.com

Night Wing
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Night Wing » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:15 am

Sharkbait,

The one thing different about Norm Johnson is his payment method. When you order a bow from him, he requires a $100 deposit. Since there is a long wait for one of his bows and his bows "start" at $975; you can pay the rest of it in one lump sum as early as you want and just wait, pay it out in small sums as in 5 payments, pay it out monthly and don't send the last payment until you get the call from Norm or wait for the call from Norm and pay the the last $875 after his call to you and in all cases, he sends the bow.

Norm has an excellent reputation as a custom bowyer and he will call you when the bow is built. You can call him anytime and he'll tell you how long it might take as your name moves up on his list.

I could have gotten my second Blacktail in 14 months, but Norm called me at the 14 month mark and told me he had good news and bad news. The good news was, the bow was finished. The bad news, Norm didn't like the way it looked. The stain he used was too dark for his liking. I told him I would accept the bow no matter how dark the riser and limbs were. Norm told me it was too late since he wouldn't let a bow leave his shop if he didn't like it. He told me he had already destroyed the bow and I would have my second Blacktail in my hands in 30 days or less. If Norm would have sent me the bow he didn't like, I could have had my second Blacktail in 14 months and it would have taken one month less than what Norm originally quoted me time wise. Below is a photo of my second Blacktail's riser with the orange reddish cocobolo I really wanted.

ImageImage
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. SPD: 185 fps. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. SPD: 174 fps. GPP: 11.37

sharkbaitffd
4X4 Bull

Post by sharkbaitffd » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:35 pm

Brandon ,Sorry for the delay ,but I don`t do ultimatums.

You can expect your full deposit credited to your account in 30 days.

Tim

www.Acadianwoods.com

985-643-3229

Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:36 PM
To: awbows1@bellsouth.net
Subject: My order.

Dear Tim,

I’m writing to get in touch and see how the bow is coming along. I understand that you have hit some roadblocks in the building of it, but since I last called, in the beginning of February, you said it would be done in two weeks. It’s now almost a month later I haven’t received word on when it will be done. I know that it can be hard to come by some materials that I’ve asked for, but the quoted time of completion was December of last year. I am uneasy having to call to check in also and not having a call from you concerning how the process has been coming along. I also asked for pictures and still nothing…so I have no proof that anything is being done. I would like to have it by March 10th with a discount, or you can refund my deposit and cancel my order. Thanks for your time and I hope you understand.

Sincerely,

Brandon

Guess I just had some money open up towards a new compound....

Bawana Bowman
4X4 Bull

Post by Bawana Bowman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:36 pm

A new compound?? What a waste of money!
PBS Regular since 1988
TGMM Family of the Bow
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
>>-IBEP instructor-->