SnapHaunce build

Dedicated to the Gunsmith and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

SnapHaunce build

Postby Captchee » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:20 am

so its been a while since I posted a build . just have not had time to document one .

What we are building is an early SnapHaunce .
I will be building the lock from castings obtained from Blackly & Sons .The stock from a plank cut from a slab of Black walnut here in my shop .
since the rest of the parts are either non existent or only available through somewhat unreliable sources , ill also be building those IE butt plates , heal and toe plates , side plate , thimbles, trigger and trigger guard.....
Barrel is a large bore which requires a custom build which I have farmed out.
so should by a fun build . stay tuned. :campfire:
Captchee
Global Moderator

Re: SnapHaunce build

Postby Aeronut » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:32 pm

Sorry to hear the diagnosis Captchee. You are in my prayer list and I hope the Dr. can get it removed without any lasting problems.

I'm all in on a build-along. I'm planning on retirement this Feb. and an thinking about building a flintlock.
Charter Member--Oklahoma Selfbow Society
OSS Non-Resident Representative
Charter Member--Prairie Traditional Archers
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Made in the image of a lion shocked lamb
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Full Quiver » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:29 pm

On my prayer list as well ,Captchee.
I always enjoy your build-alongs, looking forward to the next one.
Donnie
Donnie Wilson
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Full Quiver
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Sneakon » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:14 am

Your build alongs are always great fun and amazing. :77:
I hope the expertise of modern medicine gets you back to 100% soon. May you have all the best during the process.
"The habits of a vigorous mind are formed in contending with difficulties." Abigail Adams

Sneakon
Sneakon
4X4 Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:21 pm

I'll hold you up in prayer also, Captchee. I was with a friend today who had a brain tumor removed several years ago and recovered nicely. I understand his was the size of an orange by the time they found it. It certainly is a rough row to hoe, and I wish you a speedy recovery! Please keep us informed as things progress.

~Kees~
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Postby doggoner » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:35 pm

I'll put you at the top of my prayer list and ask the good lord to guide the doctor's hand during your surgery. All the best!

doggoner
doggoner
Spike Bull

Postby Captchee » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:03 pm

thanks for the concerns folks . not much I can do but hold on for this rife I guess. just try and keep busy .

so yesterday I got the stock cut out and today I got the barrel half inlet . just gotta do alittle , sit down for 1/2 hour or so and then do alittle more. so much for quitting smoking LMAO.

also some notes . Barrel is 42 inchs and is 75 cal..
stock is black walnut.
since I have been given artistic leeway I'm hopping to do some silver , copper and bone work as well as engraving . but we will have to see how that goes . ill be starting on building the lock soon.
Attachments
20171101_102316[2609].jpeg
20171103_163419[2610].jpeg
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby Aeronut » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:57 am

I've done just a little silver and copper inlay work. Looking forward to seeing the bone work. :applaud:
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Captchee » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:15 am

this has gone on long enough with no updates . I had planned to do a tutorial . but frankly I been so slow at it that I just didn't see the use . that's not to say I have not made progress through the year . here are some photos starting with the lock
Attachments
0423181404.jpg
0506181400.jpg
0520181039.jpg
0520181301a[752].jpg
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby Captchee » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:46 am

frankly for as simple as the lock seems to be , there is also a lot going on . the pan lid has to be timed so as to open at the right time with the cock throw so at to not block spark in the pan.
also note that the tumbler does not have a sear engagement . instead it relies on a catch which blocks the cock from falling forwards once the cock has been brought back to full cock . this is held under pressure by means of a small spring that serves to push the lever our so that once the cock is pulled back it pushes out the face of the lock so that a small tab catches the tail of the cock while at the same time engaging a notch on the trigger bar . thus holding the lock at full cock . The trigger bar is also one that pushes back not up as with a flintlock . this calls for a different type of trigger . the trigger is simply a long plate with a pivot point high up on the lock mortise. as you pull back on the trigger it then apply pressure back vs up . as the trigger bar is forced back it disengages from the notch that's holding the cock back . this allows the cock to push the small tab in by means of the force applied to the tumble by the main spring . Note . if you notice the photo of the inside of the lock you will see a bar that runs from the tumbler up under the pan . this bar is what pushes the pan lid back to expose the powder to the spark . this bar simply free floats . it does not attach to the lid. IE when you bring the lock to full cock , the pan lid is then pulled back to cover the pan and the frizzen or battery is then brought down on top of the lid . as the trigger is pulled the trigger bar is forced back the cock starts to fall. while this is happening the lid bar comes in contact with the pivot on the pan lid and begins to force it back just prior to the flint striking the battery /frizzen. thus exposing the powder and allowing the spark to ignite the powder .. With all this happening the result to the lock is that you get a lot of friction . so if you don't have a very strong main spring while at the same time smooth surface's then the lock will not preform .
Next note the unique frizzen design . one must have the frizzen tempered properly . to hard and it will break. to soft and it will bend and throw the geometry off . after much trial and error I got the lock working . and finished it up
Attachments
0708181349.jpg
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby Aeronut » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:58 am

Looks good Cap. Nice to see you are still working. I ordered a flintlock kit from Kibler Longrifles a couple of weeks ago. I'm not that far into building one from scratch.

I started another R/D bow a few days ago. Making this one out of curly maple.
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Captchee » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:05 pm

now I moved on to the side plate design . I will say this has been one of the most involved side plates I have ever done. lots of piercings . I also chose to incorporate a hunting seen into the scroll work
here a photo of the layout . at the point this photo was taken I had not yet swelled the wood back to the side plate . so while the inletting seems weak , its not and should tighten back up nicely.
0715181440.jpg

I cut this from German silver and finished the engraving . the side plate was then inlet into the stock
IMG952018122195115507388.jpg

this then brings us to the shaping and final stages of sanding the stock . this is currently where im at in the project . we have debated several times about adding wire work and inlays . however the stock has some wonderful figure in it and at least at this point we have decided to let the wood speak for itself vs distracting from it with to much .

1214181342_HDR[743].jpg

1214181322a_HDR[741].jpg

1214181332_HDR[736].jpg

things left to do .
front sight needs made and engraved .
Ram rod thimbles made .
Ramrod with tip made and tapered to fit caliber .
final sanding , shaping .
barrel finish .
Trigger guard and butt plate fire blued and cased .
stock finished with oils .
Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby Aeronut » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:49 pm

Beautiful work! :77:
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
I am who the hell I am
Aeronut
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby doggoner » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:16 pm

So glad to see you are working. It has been a long time since we have heard from you. Your work is outstanding as usual. I am looking forward to the finish of this build and thank you for letting all of us observe.

doggoner
doggoner
Spike Bull

Postby WinterHawk » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:19 pm

Great to see you are in the shop and posting again! :applaud: I do hope to see more on here on your progress.

That certainly looks good. Those piercings are amazing! :77:

~WH~
~WH~
WinterHawk
4X4 Bull

Return to The Gunsmiths Workbench