how do I remove barrel finish

Dedicated to the Gunsmith and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.
Captchee
Global Moderator
how do I remove barrel finish

Post by Captchee » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:58 am

by Jared on Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:25 pm

I'm working on a refinish of my earlier refinish of a pistol kit. I browned the barrel and it came out nicely, but now I think I'd like to give a yarn wrap a try since I'm fancying it up a little. What do I need to do to remove browning???

Jared

Jared
Spike Bull

Private message

well there are any number of ways depending on the finish

Naval jelly works great for removing most finishes to include bluing
With a brown though , we first must understand that a brown or rust black is actually a rust that has been controlled by oil .
As such most any good rust remover will remove it .
You can also when dealing with a barrel simply sand it off .
If the barrel is octagon , use 120-180 grit paper on a sanding block .
Using a block is important to keep the edges of the flats nice and sharp with clean edges

Jared
Spike Bull

Re: how do I remove barrel finish

Post by Jared » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:28 pm

Thanks Captchee, good call on the new thread too. The gunsmithing forum could use a few new subjects anyway.
Sanding was my first idea, I'll probably give that a shot.

This poor pistol gets a lot of "guinea pig" treatments, I'm working on a NSW trade gun assembly, but my experience level is fairly low. When I'm unsure and want to practice, the pistol gets abused. :roll:

Probably going to go with a plain browning on the trade gun, but Lances barrel (and others shown) are too cool looking not to try out.

Thanks again

Jared

Captchee
Global Moderator

Post by Captchee » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:57 pm

ohh i didn’t answer that on browning , did i .
ok
popularity browning comes and go's

blue and French grey would be more common for firearms of the mid 1700's . then in the late 18th century browning comes back . to be followed by bluing coming back to popularity buy 1830 or so .
when I say popularity i don’t me most were don’t this way or that way . but basically that either was done by this time .

on many original pieces , we see a brown . but we have to wonder if if this was the original finish or if this was actually accumulated over time .
With the bluing , it’s a different blue then the chemical blues of today . Its more of the salt type of blue or a rust black

Lance Coleman
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Lance Coleman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:33 pm

Capthee,

a couple quick questions.

(1) Is there a type of brownign solution or method of rust browning that will allow things to "show through"" You know how you do some of those damscus barrels and the twists show through?? what about etching and the likes?? Can you get a type of translucency from browning?

and
(2) I gots pewter greyish furnitue I'm thinking of re using. So how would I "french grey" a barrel to compliment that??
It's not what you do............ It's how you do it.

Captchee
Global Moderator

Post by Captchee » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:12 pm

Lance Coleman wrote:Capthee,

a couple quick questions.

(1) Is there a type of brownign solution or method of rust browning that will allow things to "show through"" You know how you do some of those damscus barrels and the twists show through?? what about etching and the likes?? Can you get a type of translucency from browning?

and
(2) I gots pewter greyish furnitue I'm thinking of re using. So how would I "french grey" a barrel to compliment that??
lets start with #2 , you already know how to do that lance . do just what you did with the Lyman , but dont use the yarn . remember how when you had the colors the first time , tried to clean them off and all that was left was a light grey ... that was a French grey ,,,,, buddy .

now to #1
the reason the Damascus shows threw is because of the different types of steels , IE the rusting acts on each differently and thus allows the pattern . If you boiled the barrels the patterns would turn to grays and blacks over tans and dark browns

You cant get a translucency from browning , but you can get that from a patina like the ones
Sculpt Nouveau sells . However these are not as durable of a finish

if you look at my pistol you will see what those look like .

now salts will give a somewhat translusant blue finish . but it must be timed right or the color will quickly go past what you looking for

Lance Coleman
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Lance Coleman » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:16 am

nah not in to a blueing thing. I think I may look at the scuplt nevau line one more time. But I seriously think I'm going to do just like you said and go right back along the lines of what I did with the lyman. I think it will match the furniture well.

Captchee
Global Moderator

Post by Captchee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:57 pm

lance , we are not talking blueing as in modern gn blueing . though most certianly if you dont time it right , you will get that blue .

the blue im speaking of is a fire blue / fire bluing .
fire bluing can be rather scary and if you dont do it right you can end up with a barrel that looks like a banana
But with salt bluing , you get a relatively close period color and the barrel doesn’t need to get above about 750 deg

This is salt bluing

if one times it right , it can even be a lighter blue then that .
but you have to get it out of the salts quick and well before it reaches the color you want becouse the barrel will continue to blue as it cools

Lance Coleman
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Lance Coleman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:54 pm

dadgum......... thats a whole HEAP big pile of WORK and skill in that pistola!

Captchee
Global Moderator

Post by Captchee » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:38 pm

Lance Coleman wrote:dadgum......... thats a whole HEAP big pile of WORK and skill in that pistola!
i wish i could take credit for it . but i cant . that was done by a friend of mine , jerry huddleston.
if i recal he said he had near 2 oz of gold inlaid in it .
it is not for sale
This pistol is in a private colection. It was on display at the Owesboro Museum of fine arts in Owensboro Kentucky last fall and was published in the Museum's display publication.
It is not for sale at any price. The owner has stated " I HAVE MONEY . I WANT THE GUN"
he does have another one thats close to this , thats for sale . with the box its $35,000
yep thats what i said $35,000
and jerry will get it to . he stays very busy

if you want to see some phanomional work , here is a link to his web site

http://www.jwh-flintlocks.net/