Building from a parts assembly

Dedicated to the Gunsmith and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.
Captchee
Global Moderator
Re: Building from a parts assembly

Post by Captchee » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:41 am

i dont think about Numrich, good call

Blind Dog
Spike Bull

Post by Blind Dog » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:57 am

I am a late comer to this instructional. As I am a new member I sure don't want to step on any toes but if I may a couple of questions, comments. I find this to be extraordinary to have such a detailed instructional. I appreciate the way you break down what appears to be a very complicated process into a consice yet easy to understand format,thank you very much. That peice of wood is beautiful and I particularly like the color, not the usual red tones we see so often. A question. Why a swamped barrel on a plains rifle? Would not a straight, or better yet, a tapered barrel have been more appropriate?

Again thank you very much,

Blind Dog aka: John McCreary

Blind Dog
Spike Bull

Post by Blind Dog » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:58 am

I am a late comer to this instructional. As I am a new member I sure don't want to step on any toes but if I may a couple of questions, comments. I find this to be extraordinary to have such a detailed instructional. I appreciate the way you break down what appears to be a very complicated process into a consice yet easy to understand format,thank you very much. That peice of wood is beautiful and I particularly like the color, not the usual red tones we see so often. A question. Why a swamped barrel on a plains rifle? Would not a straight, or better yet, a tapered barrel have been more appropriate?

Again thank you very much,

Blind Dog aka: John McCreary

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:30 pm

A question. Why a swamped barrel on a plains rifle? Would not a straight, or better yet, a tapered barrel have been more appropriate?
Hey Blind Dog! Welcome to TradRag! Captchee built this for me and Yes that would have been more appropriate but I was looking to drop a little weight based on the nature of my hunting style, which is more spot and stalk than sitting when carrying the blackpowder. Plus, those ounces saved would be nice on a DIY backcountry elk hunt when you start shaving things down for the pack in. It was just my personal choice in that build.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

Captchee
Global Moderator

Post by Captchee » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:51 am

Im glad you liked it . Hope it helped some folks .
yes a strait or tapered barrel would have been more common .
but as to appropriate , that depends on the rifle . There are originals ½ stock rifles with swamped barrels so its not completely un heard of
the Gustuvus Erichson rifle in this thread is one such rifle
http://www.tradrag.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ens#p25025

Trkytalk
Spike Bull

Post by Trkytalk » Sun May 19, 2013 8:09 am

Captchee,
I am finally learning to navigate the TradRag website. I appreciate your expertise and advice.
Anyway, as I look for a caplock Shotgun mzl loader, is there any one type of a shotgun that you would recommend.
I find most manufactures have gotten away from traditional firearms.
Let me know your thoughts when you have time.
Thanks for your time,
Tom (aka-trkytalk)

Captchee
Global Moderator

Post by Captchee » Sun May 19, 2013 8:46 am

as I look for a caplock Shotgun mzl loader, is there any one type of a shotgun that you would recommend.
I find most manufactures have gotten away from traditional firearms.
Your welcome , I hope you find things helpful .
As to a shotgun and that would depend on what your wanting its main duties to be .
Your not going to find much in traditional lines that’s marketed anymore . Pedersoli still does offer a SXS but it has screw in chokes . The ones I have seen were real good guns but I don’t really care for the screw in chokes.
Used , your into more . IE the TC renegade with drop in barrel , CVA made doubles in both field and presentation grade . They also made single shot models as did Jukar . Then you also have imports from maruku in Japan and the even cheeper India , imports ..

The other option is Original. If one watches around its not hard to run across an original that’s in safe shooting shape . The problem however is that its still an original . As such I would recommend shooting only light loads just to be on the safe side .

Past that you have the semi and full custom market . So there not only do you have the smooth bore single shots , but also SXS and Over and Under.

So now back to what you want to do with it . . If your going to turkey or waterfowl hunt , are you going to want a choke or do you have and are willing to spend the time to work a shot load that will give the desired pattern.
If you r wanting a choke then I would go with a Pedersoli or have your barrels jug joked .
If choke isn’t an issue then I would recommend any of the CVA or TC models .
Do you want to shoot round balls for deer . If so then I would go with something that wasn’t choked .

If you have the money , I would consider the semi or custom market . A smooth bore will run you around 1000.00 AND DOUBLES 2-3000.
The other thing is you have your choice of about any type of smooth bore shot gun you like . From later Half stocks to full stock Trade guns like the North West gun , which Hudson bay sold both in flint and in cap . The design minus the ignition source remand un changed from the 1770’s tell 1909 when they discontinued the gun

Trkytalk
Spike Bull

Post by Trkytalk » Mon May 20, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks for your advice Captchee, I will try to locate a traditional gun for turkey hunting
Much Appreciated,
Tom H.
p.s. as my 11 y/o nephew recently informed me "Aim small Shoot small"!
Better latch on to this kid`s intelligence while he still knows everything..:)