Lets design & make a recurve..Snake skins !!

Dedicated to the Bowyer and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

Re: Lets design and make a recurve...

Postby Apex Predator » Tue May 26, 2009 9:13 am

Yep, everything gets real slippery when covered with bow butter!

Everyting looks great! I am confused about the back lams not being butted together though. I know you have an alignment pin coming out of your form for the riser. Maybe I missed something? It certainly wouldn't be the first time.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables.
Apex Predator
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue May 26, 2009 10:59 am

Apex Predator wrote:Yep, everything gets real slippery when covered with bow butter!

Everyting looks great! I am confused about the back lams not being butted together though. I know you have an alignment pin coming out of your form for the riser. Maybe I missed something? It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

It'll become little more clear as the build progresses, would it help to say, thats where the throat of the grip will be?

But for right now, we need to get it out of the oven and see what we got !!!! Yahhhhooooooo
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Apex Predator » Tue May 26, 2009 12:15 pm

Wow! Can you say "brain fart" on this site? :)

I'm so used to the back of my bows being against the form. I really appreciate your patience with my dumb questions. I'm loving your build-a-long!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables.
Apex Predator
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue May 26, 2009 12:43 pm

Apex Predator wrote:Wow! Can you say "brain fart" on this site? :)

I'm so used to the back of my bows being against the form. I really appreciate your patience with my dumb questions. I'm loving your build-a-long!

HEY HEY HEY !!! we'll have none of that !! There are no Dumb questions.

That's why it's good to watch someone else build a bow, I learn things all the time, helpful little things that only make you better. when so one is doing something I'm all eyes. Like a kid in a candy store looken through the glass.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Tue May 26, 2009 12:58 pm

I hope everyone had a good weekend, The un official official start of summer. Things are now starting to really progress into a bow, and We gotta a bow to go look at, lets go…..

Well, I just took the press out of the oven, it’s cooled down, and the smell of cooked epoxy filled the cave as soon as I opened it up. Let take a look to see what we have…………

Well, no signs of any lams sliding, so lets take this dude apart, let the air out of the hose,
Pull the lock down pins and off comes the top, air hose is flat, the pressure strip is removed..

And off comes the new bow, and it didn’t stick to the press it just keeps getten better

Ok guys here it is,

I’ll have to sand the glue boogers off to check out the glue lines but I’m very pleased with the results.

Here is a neat little trick I learned, because the limbs are built the same, measure one side how long you’d like to make the bow and make a cut off pattern, since the limbs sit on the bench and the riser doesn’t touch, cut out the limb width on the gage and then cut the legs and make length and nock placement.

take it to the band saw . Now cut to length, oh Make sure you got the right glass blade on, fiberglass will trash a new blade in one inch of cut.

Now comes the dreaded part, removing the saran wrap, I leave the tape on the limbs for now, once the wrap comes off, time to sand

I use the 12 inch disc sander 80 grit, it makes quick work of the glue boogers, OH I want you to notice the straps of my respirator in the picture, go spend $18.00 for one of these and use it, the dust is so fine it’s trash your lungs in no time at all, cheap insurance so you’ll be hunting for a long time.

Use a damp rag to see where and how far you’ve sanded , it’s easy to take off but hell to put back on, so go slow when ya get close.

Now this looks familiar, all the glue boogers are off and all the glue lines look like thin pencil lines, it’s a great glue up

We have a Blank, no slippage of anything, tight lines I’m excited ok, now lets make a pattern for what the bow will look like..
For this we’ll need a straight edge, a marker some string a piece of clear plexi-glass and a scribe.

First we need a base line, everything starts with a base line

Next is decide how much bow we are going to have in the limb tip, I use the string to bend the steel ruler and hold it, Since I like the Hoyt limb, I’ll make the bend close to the taper of the limb.

Lay the bend along the line, choose how long the tip pattern will be, mark those on the line and draw the curve

One side done

Flip it over, line up the marks and draw the other side, we like simple.

Here we go with that freehand thing again

Might as well mark where the string grooves will be, don’t have to be exact but close

With all the lines drawn and completed it time to transfer the pattern, just lay the plexi glass on top,

Now scribe along the lines

Next off to the sander to shape the pattern, see told ya it was simple…. I mean… complicated with all these sophisticated tools !
Just don’t go too fast the rough paper will melt the edges, looks nice

Now we have to find the exact center of the bow from end to end, and for this we use a centerfindingbowjigfinderthingamajig jig

I know this is really complicated tool but, I’m willing to sell these for $49.95, plus $15.95 shipping and handling. Do adjustments as need to make sure the exact center within a 1/16th of a inch is found
And mark both ends

Also mark the riser top and both sides for center these are reference marks

Using the straight edge mark center of the bow end to end.

Take the limb tip pattern and line it up on the center and flush with the end of the tip and mark it, couple spring clamps will be real handy

Do both ends and were ready to head to the band saw

The best part is we only have to cut the ends the glass we used is 1 ¾ inch wide glass, so the sides of the bow are to width already, I’m liken how it looks

Blend in the side where we come out with the blade, a mill bastard file works great for blending, right now is a rough shape, later we will smooth out the edges if needed

Ahhh my favorite part, filing the nocks, I use to hate this but now is the fun part once filed and smoothed lets put a string on it and see the profile for the very first time.

Oh yeah !!!! It’s a bow folks !! I love the profile

Even though the nocks are rough cut the string is tracking dead center of the limb on both limbs Yeeehhhaaaa

Lets put the handles on and the limb tips and put it back in the over for 2 hours

First the handles peel back the tape where we want to work, purty black glass !!!

Mark where we want the handle to be and do both top and bottom

I have some left over Hawaiian Pheasant Wood, that will look good
Cut these down to 5/8th thick pieces to epoxy on

Oh look I found some Bocote that’ll look good good too, we’ll throw that on too under the Pheasant wood,

Now for the limb tips, I’m simple I like wood so that’s what we’ll use, ahh the drop offs

I’ll use the riser cut offs they are already tapered, waste not want not

Mix up some epoxy and getter done !! and of course we roughed up all glued surfaces, I didn't get a picture of me doing that
Guess I was excited...........Hmmmm wonder why?

All ready for a trip back into the oven for 2 hours or so at 140 degrees and a cool down, why only 140? Well nothing get that hot on earth that’s natural, so I won’t have to worry about the glue becoming soft and the bow delaminating. a hot car will cause a strung bow to delaminate , so treat your bow the same as a baby because it is.

Now back into the oven, that’s bout it for today, now you have a idea why Custom bows cost so much, if they charged what time they have in a bow they’d be 1,000 -2,000 dollars if not more.

Tomorrow we start shaping the bow might even get to fling a few arrow out of it too

Mahalo for taggen along

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby LostHawg » Tue May 26, 2009 8:38 pm

That is just fascinating Mark. Can't wait to see it all finished up. I like your wood choices too. ;)
Hunt, Fish, Pick and Grin; Ahhh, Country Livin. ;)
LostHawg
Raghorn Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed May 27, 2009 12:50 pm

Wow, what a fun time, got the bow out of the oven, all the clamps are off so it’s now in a rough rough stage ready to see if it can become a shootin machine. (real working time 5-6 hours)

First lets take some of the blockyness out of the limb overlay

The band saw will do just fine, trimming the sides and thickness down some
See…… quick work with the band saw Ta duh….

Now that we got that roughed in, lets see about some nocks, we can use the old nock grooves, since they were just about right for a pattern. I start with a small chain saw file, then to a small rat tail file, then a large rat tail file. Just my preference you can do it how ever works best for you, remember it’s easy to come off, hard to put back on.

Roughed in

Just about there……..
In just a short time we do a trial fit.

So while I’m one this end I’ll use the table sander to blend the cut edge to the limb, it don’t matter which order things are done…………as long as they get done……..

On the belly side, mark where the string lays on the limb and this will be filed in but only half way through the glass or the limb tip will split, some bowyers like to put a thin belly over lays on their tips and sand into those and very little into the glass, it’s totally up to you…..

And the other end is done the exact same way, so I didn’t take any pictures of that end being done.

Okay ….. Now the real fun stuff, lets mark out for the shelf and window cut outs, I use 2 ¼ inches above the center line for my high point of my shelf, you can use 1 ½ to 2 ½ inches. all depends on what you want. It just fits my hand at 2.25 inches. I use a hacksaw to cut a horizontal line, all because the band saw blade can’t, so I hand cut it, hacksaw works best through the hard woods and cuts smooth too

3 inches up is the top of my window and meets the cut half way through the riser, again this is what and how I make mine, it’s all a matter of personal preference…….. Just cut slow, the blade will squeal, smoke and make a lot of noise but it will cut, to fast and the blade will wonder all over the place.
You’ll know when you reach the bottom of the shelf, it’ll just pop off…

I drew the handle free hand that I like on another bow….. Darn ! that’s 4 bows to make one…Cool !!!
So now it’s saw dust time……

And cut that way…
Trim cut here…

And here’s what I get work with, I love a forward style handle and this one looks like just what I wanted

The rest of this bow is very personal, the grip I’ll make to fit me the handle same thing, well it will become a extension of my arm….. it must flow all the way out to the tip of the broadhead.

I’ll use the machines to remove the bulk of the material; but from here on out, the fit is all files rasps scrapers and what ever else I can use

Within a couple hours I have a good fit, not quite there yet, but close, lot of saw dust was created

Ok, what’d think ? I love it ! It just now has started to get “the feel”

LETS GO FLING SOME ARREAS !!!!

First group

Not to bad, the arrows are all different weights, I wanted to see how it acts with light med and heavy arrows
I’m purty sure….. I just built a shooter for sure, I do have some handle work to do, couple areas need some schmoozing a rasp and file with handle that.

I like for my grip to fill my hand so it’s gonna follow the life line in the hand as well as fill the palm swell too. Just like this……

Ok, time to grab 3-4 of my #1 arrows… and see how it does……

OH WOW !! That is unreal, I’ll be able to dial it in with my shootablitity tuning, that’s just doing the small things to make the bow shoot exactly where I’m looking.. I’m a happy camper.

Another group of “everything under the sun” and a profile shot of the bow.

Now some final sanding and the finish……unless… let me grab the video camera….. Hold on..

It’s a shooter !!!!! Yeeehhhhaaaaaaa, now back in the cave and more lookin for something, you’ll like it
when I find it….

For now, I'll put a coat or two on the seal the wood, in a day or two your gonna love what I found in the cave, but ya gotta wait for it. and Yes Sir, I'll do a build along or a "do Along"
Final specs is 60" NTN #50@28" and I've got a name float around in my head but we'll see after it's done.

While is hangin to dry

And finally dry

Finally done, total working time was just little over 33 hours. This bow fits like a glove, the draw is smooth,shoots with purty good speed, the cast is great as you could see in the video, it tuned to a whiff as far as sound goes. I shoot this bow with no bracer on, it shoots well with no glove(just in case)
Thanks for taggen along, it's been fun and the best part? were not done yet, but like I said, ya gotta wait for a day or two till I get all the stuff together.
Now, if you'll excuse me..........I've got a new toy to play with....

Aloha Nui Loa

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby kevin12306 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:01 pm

Awesome!!! Looks great and appears to shoot great! Thanks for takin us along... :D
kevin12306
Raghorn Bull

Postby Lance Coleman » Wed May 27, 2009 3:20 pm

VERY nice wolf!! Did you use sand and seal or CA to seal it first?? or just go straight to finishes??
It's not what you do............ It's how you do it.
Lance Coleman
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed May 27, 2009 5:09 pm

Up to this point was one coat handrubbed truoil, then 2 coats of spray on urathane, there's more to this I want to do, so it's probably in all likeyhood, gonna be stripped and more stuff done.

I'm working on it, just couple more days.
Most of the bows I do, gets 4-5 coats of Thunderbird 2 part epoxy finish, it's real nice so I can dull the shine with 0000 steel wool to my liking.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby oldpaths » Wed May 27, 2009 7:36 pm

Dadgum greywolf,this is one of the best build alongs I have seen!! very inspireing for those of us that are think'n bout trying to build our first,just want to say thanks!! Oh and one question for ya,I couldnt help but notice a wild look'n bow hanging on your shop wall with the words "never ever again" I think and I was just wandering whats up with that? if you don't mind me ask'n?
Jeremiah 6:16
oldpaths
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed May 27, 2009 8:36 pm

oldpaths wrote:Dadgum greywolf,this is one of the best build alongs I have seen!! very inspireing for those of us that are think'n bout trying to build our first,just want to say thanks!! Oh and one question for ya,I couldnt help but notice a wild look'n bow hanging on your shop wall with the words "never ever again" I think and I was just wandering whats up with that? if you don't mind me ask'n?

Thank you Sir for the kind words, it's been fun....
It says "never ever forget" That bow is/was a one of a kind, I designed it for someone who I thought was a friend, that "friendship" didn't turn out well, so that bow serves as a reminder to remind me. It's been in that stage for 8 years or longer and well never probably be finished.

Sad but true, bout ever 3-4 years I think about taken it down and something happens, so it stays.
Last edited by Greywolf on Wed May 27, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby >>>---DW---> » Wed May 27, 2009 8:50 pm

Mark, you are the man! that's bad azz.
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed May 27, 2009 9:05 pm

Aloha Dave
It was a pleasure to finally shake your hand, Now that we know where to meet, we'll have to get together and fling some pointy sticks.
Dave shoots a beautiful Howatt recurve, We are going to be Oahu's terrors when I get back on my feet and able to hunt... Hogs will fear us !!! :rolf:
Last edited by Greywolf on Wed May 27, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby TradRag » Wed May 27, 2009 9:35 pm

I just PMd you my mailing address. :rolf: I'll be sure to take care of it for you.

That is one nice bow! Great looking design and wood combo's. Thank you for such a great build-a-long.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby >>>---DW---> » Wed May 27, 2009 10:08 pm

Greywolf wrote:Aloha Dave
It was a pleasure to finally shake your hand, Now that we know where to meet, we'll have to get together and fling some pointy sticks.
Dave shoots a beautiful Howatt recurve, We are going to be Oahu's terrors when I get back on my feet and able to hunt... Hogs will fear us !!! :rolf:

A pleasure to meet such a Bowhunting guru. The hogs will fear us indeed, but don't leave out the other critters running for cover. Deer, sheep, and goats are not safe. 8-)
>>>---DW--->
4X4 Bull

Postby Greywolf » Thu May 28, 2009 6:07 pm

TradRag wrote:I just PMd you my mailing address. :rolf: I'll be sure to take care of it for you.

That is one nice bow! Great looking design and wood combo's. Thank you for such a great build-a-long.

AHAHahahahahahahaha, funny thing, I opened the PM and it just **poof** disappeared and I Uhhh triedImage...Yeah that's it, tried real hard to retreive it,, but uhhh. no luck......Sorry ole buddy..........besides....

it's not quite done yet, Be looking out tomorrow and we'll get it "Dressed" if ya catch my drift !!
Taking build along pics takes a bit of extra time, but yer gonna want to see this......

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby turkey522 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:38 am

Great build-a-long.Thanks for sharing.

Terry
turkey522
Raghorn Bull

Postby Greywolf » Fri May 29, 2009 12:11 pm

I had someone PM me a question about the build along, they ask Do you really need the pressure strip? Wouldn't the tape protect the limb?

Excellent question,
yes, the tape helps protect the glass from scratches and nicks. but thats about as far as the help goes.
The pressure strip does a couple of things, #1 pushes the lams down with even pressure and protects the glass.
60 PSI of air is basically setting #60 of weight along every inch of the glass, so combine that with 180 deg heat, the glass becomes pliable to a some degree.(180 deg for 6 hours) Let me show you a picture that shows it better than I can tell you,

See the white line about 1/4 inch above my black cut off line? Thats the end of the pressure strip, everything above that the fire hose imprinted with the "waffle Pattern" of what the hose is made of... in the glass. Plus, just told me, if I want to make a longer bow, I need to get a longer pressure strip.

Thank you, and I hope that answers your question.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Greywolf » Fri May 29, 2009 9:38 pm

LAST STEP AND DONE !!

Ok, time to let the Cat….errr…. snake outa the bag, I got a real nice skins, Lets do a snake skin add along, I’m going to use Diamondback rattlesnake but you can use any snake as long as it’s long enough to cover the tip to where you decide to stop at the handle.

Lets get started, first KILL THE SNAKE !!! Live snakes are a real pain to get to stick to the bow!! :rolf:

Ok Ok Ok, skins can be bought on eBay, or couple archery dealers sell them, they are worth the price.

I have black glass so I’m not worried about the back of the bow or riser so I added a thin strip of walnut overlay on the riser area

I’ll shape the overlay and sand it to blend into the limb but I want a small lip left on the wood, this makes a clean transition from wood to skin.

Shaping is done for now…

Sand the back side of the limbs so we can apply the skins, as a matter of fact I sanded the whole bow again

Even the tip

Clean the limbs real well, again I use denatured alcohol but what ever you are comfortable with is what you use.
Now size the limbs, that’s nothing more than spreading on a medium even layer of glue over the entire limb surface and let it start to tack up, depending where you are it could be 10 minutes to 1 hour. once it starts to turn clear it’s getting close.
Oh, I just want ya to know I used Bondtite II or III not for sure I have both, to apply the skins.

After you spread the glue on one limb (only do one limb at a time ) drop the skin into water and let it soak water for couple minutes, you want it wet but not soaked, lay the skin on a towel and blot it dry, all we want to do it remove the water laying on top of the skin, not dry it.

Once dried spread a thinner layer of glue than you put on the limb, the limb glue will mate with the wet glue on the skin, remember wet to wet !!
I just noticed those pictures didn’t take, so I have no pics of drying the skin or spreading the glue,
Ok imagine this, glue on the fingertip and smearing it in circles all over the back side of the skin? Got the picture? Good. You guys are good !!!!!

Lay the skin as centered on the limb as you can lay it, don’t worry if it’s not straight, you can move it rather easy side to side or back and forth, then pat it into place with a cloth or by hand. I use a drop off to place the skin.

I found if you use a small screwdriver inside the drop off it acts like a rolled to remove the air bubbles and makes the skin lay perfectly flat on the limb.

I even helped it along with a hairdryer that I use building bows

After about a hour or so it should be almost dry and the skin hard to move, and be dry on the edges

Now, using a NEW single edge razorblade lets trim the edge, here is make or break it time, hold the blade at a slight angle to the limb and pull easy up on the skin and slide the blade along the edge of the limb, the angle makes a almost invisible line where we cut it. you might want to try a steeper angle thinner line? Do a cut 4-6 inches long and then reposition your hand and blade and do another 6 inch cut, go slow, pull gently till you get to the end.

Take a clean wet cloth and wipe the excess glue off the edge and smooth down the edge of the skin if it moved

Now switch ends of the razorblade and cut the other side same way same procedure, just take your time use small sweeping strokes with the blade if needed. Now….. we have one side on. It should look like this

If it does your doing wonderful !!!

The other side is done the exact way as we did one (about a hour later)

Ok, now that both skins are on and looking good, roll out any air bubbles you might see, or where the skin is lifting. If a stubborn air bubble develops…. then take a straight pin and just poke the skin under a scale and let the air out, yes the skin is that air tight. Now the wait, yep over night for it to “cure” on the limb.

I’m not gonna make ya wait, I did the rest of the job so lets keep on going shall we…Hummmmm?

Now that we have the skin on we need to remove the scales… thought I forgot huh? Ok first never pick a scale off of the skin with a fingernail or knife edge it will tear out and leave a white spot on the perfect skin.

Ok so how do we gettem off? Easy get the stickiest tape you can find, clear box tape or packing tape works great .it’s hard to break and is very sticky, lay a piece of tape on the skin and start rubbing it onto the scales heat that sucker up rubbing so hard of the tape

Now lift from the tail end slowly, pull straight up some the tape is a 90 deg angle to the skin, they’ll come right off………….. Well most of them anyway

Repeat as many times as it takes to get the scales off, they will come off even the real stubborn ones, just press peel and pull it’ll look like nothing has happened at all…. See It'll just be smoother than the other picture.

Once all the scales are off then we can start to finish the bow, first glue down all the edges of the skin, use CA glue and smooth a bead along all edges of the skin…
Even the ends of the skin

You can even apply a thin layer on the skin to act as a sealer if you like just keep it thin. If you never used CA glue as a finish you really need to try it, even one or two coats as a sanding sealer.

I’m going to use a new epoxy finish called Thunderbird, easy stuff from what I hear 50/50 mixture A & B and thin by 25% sounds easy enough, I’ll use my detail spray gun to spray on the coats. Best thing is you can do several coats in 3 hours

Mixem up. Lets get it on

All prepped and first two coats…..

Ohhhhhh I’m liken this stuff !!!!

The wood is glass smooth in 4 light coats

I used 0000 steel wool on the riser to remove the shine, this is some great stuff !!!!!

Ok the final pictures

I’m one totally excited happy camper, I love this bow, it just became the best recurve I’ve ever shot.
And in 40 plus years of archery..... I’ve shot plenty.

Did ya notice it? look at the picture again see it? or not see it? String silencers, this bow tuned silent I don't need them
I'll probably put them on anyway ,just because I think they look great on a bow.

Well that is all for this bow, I’m glad it turned out like it did, I set and look at it in awe and amazement, I had a idea bouncing around in the gray brain matter cavity, designed it and then produced it, Wow!

Mahalo for taking this build along on with me, it’s time to go “Fill the Sky full of Holes”. Now, hogs? Ya'all really need to get your affairs in order……I’m coming after ya.. with this bow made from really sophificated stuffs.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby kevin12306 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:14 pm

Beautiful!!! Those skins really look great...
kevin12306
Raghorn Bull

Re: Lets design & make a recurve..Snake skins !!

Postby Greywolf » Sat May 30, 2009 2:09 pm

PM Question: "is bondtite the best glue to use for putting on skins? thanks"

BondTite II & III and hide glue is all I've ever seen or hear used. Hide glue (and only guessing) is as plyable as bondtite when it's cured, plus it's more Traditional than store bought glue. (But that is my own opinion)
BondTite II,III cures in 24 hours, but does not get brittle when it's cured, so it's able to bend with the bending of the limbs and not crack.

Thanks for the great question.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Okie » Sat May 30, 2009 10:55 pm

That is one awesome bow and build along. Thanks for sharing.
John Holman
www.bearcreekselfbows.com
Founding Member- Oklahoma Selfbow Society
"Preserving the Heritage of Primitive Archery"
>>>>>>------------------------------------->
Okie
Global Moderator

Postby charlie » Sun May 31, 2009 4:25 am

Amazing! Thankyou for such a detailed buildalong, the form is the most important bit and alot of folks leave it out.
Can we see the tips again?
charlie
Spike Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:41 am

The limb tip over lays?
I don't have any just of the overlays but I can get a pic for you.

PM Question:
Where did you buy the skins?

This is only one snake, if you look at the diamond pattern on the limb you'll see the diamonds reach side to side of the limb, this was a huge rattler, and was a road kill in Texas, there is 7 inches missing behind the head(tire skid mark damage) I sent him one of my Takedown recurves till he gets his bow back in shooting shape, he sent this as a thank you.

Here's a picture of it in the just dead state.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby LostHawg » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:53 am

That little fella reminds me of Eric... So, what was the snake? 18"?..

:mrgreen: :rolf:

Mark, beautiful workmanship. Gonna have to sneak over and shoot Danny's sometime..
LostHawg
Raghorn Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:38 am

YesSir, one in the same! Hey !!!.... he is a little taller than he looks :rolf: not by much.....The T/D I sent him is just like Danny's, but it aint backards.

I think(as dangerous as that is) it was 63ish or 64 maybe.... I had plenty left over..... I know that. it was almost 7" at the widest part.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby LostHawg » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:16 pm

Eric's good folks.

You and Pete are building some nice looking bows these days. Good stuff bud.
LostHawg
Raghorn Bull

Postby Greywolf » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:17 pm

Thank you, pete was bit by the bug big time. We talk on Skype on the weekends and he's full of questions for sure. Sometimes he makes thing way to complicated, but he's on the right track most of the times.

I have a longbow build(should say had) a build along till the incident, it's still on the press with the handle rough cut, I managed to get it down from #75 down to #63 so I'll do a trap of the limbs and with final sanding, it should come in close to #55 Olschool has already spoke for it.

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby LostHawg » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:18 am

I got his "ugly" bow in the mail yesterday to test drive. Took it out and shot it and its shooting smooth and quiet. Barely a thump coming off the string when I release. Still working on the arrow issue. Its cut a bit deeper center than my Great Plains. The arrows are flying great, just hitting to the right. I'm thinking it'll be best suited for my 2018s. My little CX arrows hit more to the right than my 23/64 cedars. Both arrows are spined about the same and group the same off my Great Plains, which I'm drawing 56# on. I put "ugly" on my scale and weighed it at about 55 at my draw length.

I've enjoyed this build along a lot. I didn't realize just how much y'all put into one. Does the humidity over there cause any particular challenges you wouldn't encounter in drier climes?

I think I'm more suited for shooting them than building them. I tried to whittle a selfbow from Osage, and after working on it for several months, gave up and gave the stave to Eric. I hope he was able to make something with it. I've still got my bow horse and a pecan stave, but when I look at the stave my brain clutters up with ??????'s. I just don't have the knack for wood crafts I suppose.

You guys are da bomb!
LostHawg
Raghorn Bull

PreviousNext

Return to The Bowyers Workbench