Lets design & make a recurve..Snake skins !!

Dedicated to the Bowyer and his craft. A place to talk building techninques, design, and build-alongs.

Re: Lets design & make a recurve..Snake skins !!

Postby Greywolf » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:39 pm

The bow is designed to be symmetrical so both sides are equal. so what I did was take the small tiller measurement and make that the bottom limb, sometimes it's just an 1/16 or 1/8 stronger. If I want more I'll wait till the final sanding and do the top limb more. and if I want a tiller even(3 under) I make the strong limb the top. and work it out from there. But no the design of the bow will be the shape I'm desiring to achieve.
There are numerous ways to make the glass do that you want, sanding even strokes on the back with 120 gr is one way and measuring constantly. Sanding the side on a angle is another form of moving the limb like you want.
Most of the time the lams are the same so the difference will be very slight. Unlike a self bow and making the limbs bend evenly as well as reducing weight.

It's not like a self bow as long as the form is square and squared and symmetrical or built to be top and bottom limbs. The tiller will not be an issue period. the symmetrical limb bending will become more of a issue.
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Python014 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:03 am

Wow, all I can say is thank you. I'm in the process of planning my own recurve build in my high school shop class and you have answered almost 100% of confusion and questions that I have. The pictures are so very helpful and I cant wait to get started on my own!
Python014
Spike Bull

Postby eddie c » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:10 am

Python014 wrote:Wow, all I can say is thank you. I'm in the process of planning my own recurve build in my high school shop class and you have answered almost 100% of confusion and questions that I have. The pictures are so very helpful and I cant wait to get started on my own!

post pics as you go. we like build alongs. :mrgreen:
Rule #1: PICK A SPOT!!!!! Rule#2: repeat #1
eddie c
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:51 am

Might want to start out with a more simple design like a longbow to understand the bending of the limbs. either way, it's going to be a great project.

If you have any Questions during the build, please feel free to get in touch with me through the Private message here. If you have Skype, we can even do that, sometimes words don't
sound right when you read them, but seeing is a better way of understanding. Starting out with the press being square is the hardest part. The rest is all fun.

Aloha
Greywolf
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to The Bowyers Workbench