Conical for 1:28 Barrel, and Traditional Sights

Traditional Muzzleloaders, Flintlocks, Pistols, front stuffer kits, etc.
SpankyNeal
Spike Bull
Conical for 1:28 Barrel, and Traditional Sights

Post by SpankyNeal » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:00 pm

I've got an Austin & Halleck Mountain Rifle in .50 Cal that I want to get ready for hunting. It has a 1:28 twist barrel which i've never had any experience with before. I want to maintain a level of tradition with this gun and shoot conicals. Any ideas what might be the best ones to start with, and with which powder granulation (looking at Swiss)? Also, I really don't like that silver blade front site, and the original buckhorn rear is not all that great either. Any recommendations for really good traditional sights? Any help is most appreciated!

Regards....Ken

ringo
Spike Bull

Re: Conical for 1:28 Barrel, and Traditional Sights

Post by ringo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:46 am

Hornady Great Plains bullet 385gr has worked well for me with In-lines and with your fast twist would be simular I would think. I use 90gr of pyrdex rs. I also use a felt wad over powder too. Ringo

Outdoor Success
4X4 Bull

Post by Outdoor Success » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:09 pm

I hope the Great Plains bullet will work I've never had much luck with a fast twist and any bullet that didn't have plastic (sabot or power belt) as for powder I take the old OLD fasion route and with all of my guns up to and including my 50 cal. I use fff black powder. I just started playing with the fff pyrodex but not enough to offer an thoughts on it. But with the fff black powder I have never had an issue with miss fire.
Owner / Operator of Outdoor Success Calls and Scents
Staff shooter for St. Joe River Bows
It's not the size of the game harvested. It's about the time spent inside Yourself, and with freinds and family in the out of doors. Oh yea and fresh backstraps!

Pietro
Spike Bull

Post by Pietro » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:46 am

I really liked my A&H .50 rocklock Mountain Rifle- it was VERY accurate using Knight Red Hot 300gr sabot loads over Goex FFFg, using FFFg Goex as a priming charge also.

I know you might not like them, but the German Silver front sight and Buckhorn rear are about as "traditional" as it gets, in a long rifle.

For me, the buckhorn acts just like a peep sight.

mountainrifle
5X5 Bull

Post by mountainrifle » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:27 pm

50 cal 1:48 twist round balls or conicals?
I love the smell of Blackpowder in the mornin'