Thomson center cap and ball

Traditional Muzzleloaders, Flintlocks, Pistols, front stuffer kits, etc.
ozarkcherrybow
Raghorn Bull
Thomson center cap and ball

Post by ozarkcherrybow » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:23 pm

I am looking to trade an old mathews bow for a TC smokepole and was wandering if they are a good rifle? Not sure of the model yet, but I am wanting to know if there is anything that I should look out for. I figure that if the gun looks like it has been cleaned and well cared for, it would be a good trade.....Any input would be appreciated....Terry

forrest
Spike Bull

Re: Thomson center cap and ball

Post by forrest » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:33 am

ozarkcherrybow wrote:I am looking to trade an old mathews bow for a TC smokepole and was wandering if they are a good rifle? Not sure of the model yet, but I am wanting to know if there is anything that I should look out for. I figure that if the gun looks like it has been cleaned and well cared for, it would be a good trade.....Any input would be appreciated....Terry

How about some more info ie. model, cal. age. some of the big bores are worth more than the lighter cals.

ozarkcherrybow
Raghorn Bull

Post by ozarkcherrybow » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:54 pm

All I know so far is that it is a 50 cal, and he says it is an older one but has been hunting with it and has taken good care of it. It does have the patch holder in the stock....Have'nt been able to hook up with the fellow to take a look at it.

Pietro
Spike Bull

Post by Pietro » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:53 pm

If it's a T/C, that pretty much describes a Hawken rifle.

If the patch box is brass, with a brass nosecap on the forestock, that cinches it.

Since all T/C's carry a lifetime warranty (on the gun, not the owner) - I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'd just give the barrel a good cleaning, install a HotShot nipple and a non-wood ramrod for hunting, and take it dancing with either PRB's or MaxiHunter's over 90gr of Holy Black.