Ram Rods

Traditional Muzzleloaders, Flintlocks, Pistols, front stuffer kits, etc.
TWOFEATHERS
5X5 Bull
Ram Rods

Post by TWOFEATHERS » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:40 pm

Just wondering who all uses wooden rods for all there loading, (hunting or target)? Both my smokepoles have alum range rods, and I just bought hickery rods for them, to Get back some of the oringnal look! One came with alum rod and the other one I broke back in the day before the gun was shot in!!
Kajikastik R.C. 55#@28"/L.B.57#@28"/.54cal cabelas hawken kit gun And a .45 cal kentucky pederzolli -and now a new .54 cal GP flintlock kit gun/AT HOME IN THE WOODS,I FEEL FREE AND VERY MUCH ALIVE!!!!!

Scrounge'
Spike Bull

Re: Ram Rods

Post by Scrounge' » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:23 pm

I bought synthetic rods for cleaning and at the range.
I just didn't like my wood ramrods getting wet when I clean the guns.
I do use the wood ones when I hunt.
TVM .54 Tennessee LR 42" swamped bbl
1966 Ted Fellowes .45 Flnt, Lngrfl, 44"bbl
Mongrel Mike Lange .36 Flnt Lngrfl, 42" bbl
Custom SxS 20 guage flint.
Custom J.D. Berry Viper longbow 46#@28"

hanshi
5X5 Bull

Post by hanshi » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:23 pm

In the field I use wooden rods, which all my guns carry. At the range I mostly use a ss range rod with a muzzle guard. Occasionally I'll use my wood rods at the range and even in the shop. I usually soak them in kerosene for a few weeks before tapering and finishing.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Pietro
Spike Bull

Post by Pietro » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:07 pm

Although I like most of the issue wooden ramrods for "show", on my gun rack, for hunting I feel MUCH better with a fiberglass-impregnated wood rod, like I got from T/C - they look like wood, but I feel there's no worries about snapping/cracking/breaking during a hurried reload on game.

I can say, however, that hickory rods I've made, & soaked for 30 days in kero, have never given me a lick o' trouble, either.

robert n leeper
5X5 Bull

Post by robert n leeper » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:48 pm

ive got one plastic, one aluminum and one steel , the steel one is for pulling bullets . i want a turned hickory rod if i can find a maker with a sweet lathe.
Joseph had a coat of many colors, mine are green brown tan and gray
member: Team hornaday
depthcharge559@gmail.com
powderkeg@blogger.com

ozarkcherrybow
Raghorn Bull

Post by ozarkcherrybow » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:13 pm

Robert, you don't need a sweet lathe to make a hickory shaft (ramrod). I make my own arrow shafts with a simple hand plan and this is no different. Rip down a 3/8" dowel on a table saw at your desired length, then plan down the four corners to make an octagon shape. knock down those corners and you have a 16 sided shaft, then simply sand it out to a nice round shape. I use a block drilled to 23/64 or 11/32 to measure my shafts for proper dimension.
I just broke my hickory ramrod and was thinking of making one, just need to find a supplier for the ramrod ends.......Terry

Canerod
4X4 Bull

Post by Canerod » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:07 pm

Robert,
I have some hickory on the way and make ramrods to order. Not really part of the business, just something fun on the side. I'm trying to find a good source of horn to make some tipped fowler rods. Let me know what size you need and I'll see what I can come up with.
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
www.highcountryguideservice.com

DwarvenChef
Spike Bull

Post by DwarvenChef » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:12 am

Wood for mine on the range and hunting, building a smaller copper rod for cleaning the small stuff. I clean with a copper rod D&T'd for the jags. Great for cleaning :)
Stop drooling on the ovens... they ain't done yet!!!
http://smokepoles.blogspot.com/

ringo
Spike Bull

Post by ringo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:25 am

I new to making ramrods why soak it in kerosene? don't that just make it smell bad?

jcporter@work
5X5 Bull

Post by jcporter@work » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:59 am

If you soak the rod it is very flexible. I saw a photo one time of one almost bent double.
"Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God" - Thomas Jefferson
or as Charlie Daniels says
"Let's ride boys ... we need a thousand Paul Reveres

Pietro
Spike Bull

Post by Pietro » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:39 pm

ringo wrote:I new to making ramrods why soak it in kerosene? don't that just make it smell bad?
That, and, the RR's don't carry the kero smell for long, after they're wiped dry and slid into the thimbles.

bkododge
Spike Bull

Post by bkododge » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:08 pm

wood and brass is my favs to use, brass for the range, wood for the field, just remember to use a guide for the brass rod.