What got you started in Traditional ML?

Traditional Muzzleloaders, Flintlocks, Pistols, front stuffer kits, etc.
Numunuu
What got you started in Traditional ML?

Post by Numunuu » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:38 am

Hello All,

New member here and I think it would be nice to hear some of your stories on how you became drawn to traditional muzzleloaders? My interest began recently but is similar to my turn to traditional archery, after several years of spending way too much money on the "New" compound and all of the high tech add-ons I yearned for the simpler joys of when I was a child shooting my bows, sold all of the compounds, bought a few longbows and really enjoy them.

As far as BP rifles go, I am in the Army and I really got into AR's, I bought a few and enjoyed shooting them, then I had to get the new scope, rail grips, buttstock and ended up with alot of very expensive rifles that I really didn't care for anymore, again, sold all of them, kept one single shot rifle to shoot, then on a whim bought a Lyman GPR and really enjoyed shooting it and learning about BP Rifles. I am currently looking to get a Semi or Custom Flintlock, I am using the money from selling off my AR's. So I guess I kind of came full circle and just want to appreciate a more traditional rifle that remains classic and has a soul.

Numunuu.

hanshi
5X5 Bull

Re: What got you started in Traditional ML?

Post by hanshi » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:57 am

I grew up with Davey Crockett (Fess Parker) on TV and that had an influence on my bp interest. But in truth I'm rather old fashion and have always been turned off by the newest and greatest. Even my interest in cartridge rifles centered around classic rifles and obsolescent calibers - .250/3000, .350 Rem mag, 45/70, .22 Hornet, well you get the picture. I also liked lever guns like the 99 Savage (I have two), 1894 Win, 1894 Marlin, etc, etc. What I'm getting at is that there is a charm to simpler, older ways. Some 45 years ago I got my first percussion ML followed quickly by a flintlock. As time moved on I gradually got to the point where I hunted exclusively with MLs. I seldom even do any range shooting with a brass cartridge. In fact it's been close to three years since I fired one. I have never felt handicapped in any way using MLs and I use them even during regular rifle season. The good thing is that going primitive puts the 'hunt" back into hunting - as you have experienced by going traditional archery.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Captchee
Global Moderator

Post by Captchee » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:00 pm

well as a boy we didn’t have much . My father was a salmon and steelhead biologist for the state of Idaho and we spent most of our time in the back country of Idaho .
So I went to school at a lot of small one room back country schools .
At one school when I was 9 the instructor had after hours classes on all kinds of things from mill working to carving .
One day he brought an original Isaac Haines to class . We all got to shoot it . Then for that summer he taught how to make powder , cast balls …….
That got me hooked .
I built my first rifle in his shop . Which was a converted 03A3 . Then I did a converted 30.30 from an old marlin that no one wanted .
My father was at that time helping get the state game commission to establish a muzzle loading season here in Idaho .
When I showed up with my muzzle loading 03, he wouldn’t let me use it to hunt with and so I sold it to one of my teachers and used the money to by a CVA mountain rifle kit .
From there things just got out of control .
My junior year in High school , I enlisted in the Army . Specifically Infantry .
As such there was a large gap in my building and shooting . Though I did get to see a lot of unique weapons to include a vast number of original muzzleloaders . I spent a short time helping out at the museum of the infantry and that really refueled my interest not only in the guns .
I found after coming home that I had very little interest in modern rifles. like you i got into compound bows . but within a few years was left cold . so I went back to traditional muzzleloaders and never looked back

Raghorn Bull

Post by 337 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:19 pm

Welcome Numunuu,
I was born and raised in Lancaster,PA which makes you hooked to muzzleloaders just being there.
I then moved to the Ohio country NW, PA which has a lot of French & Indian war history to add to my interest.

Renegade
Raghorn Bull

Post by Renegade » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:09 pm

My father-in-law got me hooked, I always admired his T/C hawken cougar so I went out and bought a T/C renegade and was soon addicted. I now own 4 muzzleloaders and I can't seem to remember when the last time I shot my shotgun.
" All tyranny needs to gain a foot hold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"

Thomas Jefferson

trad-hunter
4X4 Bull

Post by trad-hunter » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:25 pm

Well my first ML was a CVA Blazer I had built in shop class in High School. I enjoyed shooting it but it wasnt what I wanted. I then bought a CVA St. Louis Hawken and it was a good rifle. The fit and finish lacked some to be desired but it was an accurate shooter. I sold the hawken to a friend of mine probably the next year. I was into shooting modern rifles at that time and never really hunt with the ML's. Well after doing my time for Uncle Sam in the Army, Infantry, where I shot my fill of modern firearms I came home and wasnt interested in hunting with them anymore. I bought a CVA grey squirrel rifle 32cal. and I shot a bunch of squirrels with that rifle. It is very accurate and a lot of fun. So decided I would do nothing but black powder hunt from now on. I traded a Remington 700 in 7mm mag for a T/C Encore 209X50. I deer hunted with it for 9 straight years and killed a lot of deer with it, but it was not fun to carry or shoot, So I sold it and bought a Lyman Trade Rifle 50cal. I hunted with it last year and had a blast,literally! Now I have bought an Investarms 54cal. hawken that I am going to carry hunting this year. I love the challenge, the history, and fun of shooting ML'ers. I may go back to a centerfire one of these days, I have a gun cabinet full of them, but I doubt it!
In God We Trust
Black Widow Tackle Pro Staff Member http://blackwidowtackle.com
->>>---------------->
www.pocketpower.org/284166

buckshot
Raghorn Bull

Post by buckshot » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Growing up my father didn't deer hunt until around 1981 when I started getting interested due to friends talking about it. I hunted the first year with a shotgun and some of his friends told him about special hunts on WMA's where you could shoot either sex with a muzzleloader. So Christmas of 1984 I got my first muzzleloader, a CVA Hawken 50 caliber. I had so much fun with it but didn't hunt alot. I had hunted maybe 2-3 times a year with it until I went to Iraq with the military and saw the life style that people over there had, they were just happy to be alive. After I came home, I realized that we as Americans take alot for granted and decided I was going to slow my lifestyle down and enjoy everyday for what it was. I now hunt with a Navy Arms .45 rifle, a CVA Frontier and a beautiful Traditions Kentucky 50 cal that my wife bought me as a kit for a coming home gift after this last trip to Iraq. I have my longbows and muzzleloaders, and I put as much meat in the freezer as I did with modern weapons, without the real pressures of feeling like my life is in fast forward. It does help that I own a copy of Mountain Men with Charlton Heston and watch it monthly.

Pietro
Spike Bull

Post by Pietro » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:40 am

When I started stooting muzzleloaders, the ONLY kind available were what's now referred to as "traditional". :mrgreen:

Oh, when inlines were re-introduced, I shot/hunted a Knight alright, and then a CVA Apollo, and a T/C Firestorm, then a T/C Omega - before I sold the last of them about 6 years ago when I tried a rocklock for the first time ever.

The A&H had/has faster ignition than any of my caplocks, almost as fast as a metallic cartridge rifle - and THAT changed my mind, pronto.

hanshi
5X5 Bull

Post by hanshi » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:47 pm

Some have claimed that when I started the matchlock was still in common use. That's absurd; the flint lock was almost fully developed by then. :rolf:
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

TWOFEATHERS
5X5 Bull

Post by TWOFEATHERS » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:07 am

Well, it's been 38 years now since I first started shooting and hunting with trad muzzleloaders! What got me started? Well I grew up in a hunting and trapping family, We had an old hand me down cap lock 20ga shotgun that came from my great grandfather( not sure what brand,make or whatever! Knowing that the family wasn't very welthy , just old farmers! It always caught my eye and my intrest, and some old storys of a family member that headed west to trap in the late 1700s and just up and vanished! I was always intrested in that time frame of or history! I worked my butt off for two summers and winters,plus trapping and bought my first TC renagrade kit in .54 cal, I hunted with that gun for 5 years taking many deer shooting RB. Then I bought a .50 cal TC hawkin and hunted with that for a few years! Didn't have much info on muzzleloading back then so everything was learned by trial and error! Got into the inline for a very short time then back to the traditional cap locks! Hunted with the modern weapons also but always found that when hunting with trad muzzleloaders I had my best luck,almost like a good oman! I sold the tc hawkins and bought a cabelas .54 cal kit hawkins which my son and i boult together when he was 8! I still have this gun and have taken many of deer with this gun! I have since gotten into flintlocks due to people on here where I could go to learn from! I have now a great plains rifle in .54cal kit gun flintlock,and had also bought a pedderzolli kentucky cap lock in .45 cal which I quicklly converted to a flint lock! I love them all! Fav, movies, jermiah johnson- the mountain men- centinel the first part- and the last of the mohicans!
Kajikastik R.C. 55#@28"/L.B.57#@28"/.54cal cabelas hawken kit gun And a .45 cal kentucky pederzolli -and now a new .54 cal GP flintlock kit gun/AT HOME IN THE WOODS,I FEEL FREE AND VERY MUCH ALIVE!!!!!

robert n leeper
5X5 Bull

Post by robert n leeper » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:08 pm

to be honest, i shot a blunderbuss back in the 70s and got hooked on bp
my next bp gun was a conf navy 44 caliber cap and ball and i graduated up to
a fifty cal cva side lock like my old great grandpa used to use. shooting iron then i became more interested in my family history having kinfolk who fought and died in the rev. war, 1812 war, the spanish american war the civil war and so on. me i fought the cold war, and never fired a shot in anger, but shot a lot of modern guns. but it bored me. a big bore gun is my thing. a fifty cal. and a deer or moose or anything that big is more appealing. and i bow hunt, traditional as well. Having grown up in colonial williamsburg near the powder magazine helped a lot too ;)
Joseph had a coat of many colors, mine are green brown tan and gray
member: Team hornaday
depthcharge559@gmail.com
powderkeg@blogger.com

Outdoor Success
4X4 Bull

Post by Outdoor Success » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:04 pm

I grew up watching Fess Parker as Davey Crockett at my grandmothers and the stories of Dannial Boon. I loved the look of the long gun with wood all the way to the end of the barrel, The puff of smoke at the hammner fall, and that specific report that only a black powder gun can give! Once I handled the smooth, slender, feel of the Kentucky long gun I fell in love!!!! I still dream of the smooth boar .62 cal. flintlock that I am yet to own!! Oh I dream of owning one!!!!!! I have always been and continue to be an old fashion type person with the tools I hunt with and camp with and If I could live with (but the wife made me get rid of the red and black plad couch when we got married :cry: ) So thats what got me started!!
Owner / Operator of Outdoor Success Calls and Scents
Staff shooter for St. Joe River Bows
It's not the size of the game harvested. It's about the time spent inside Yourself, and with freinds and family in the out of doors. Oh yea and fresh backstraps!

LadyHawk
5X5 Bull

Post by LadyHawk » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:42 pm

This site got me started. I love trad bowhunting. It got soooo cold last year that I could no longer pull my bow. So, after reading many posts and asking many questions, I dove in. Took my first doe last year with my 50 cal. Plan to take many more this year!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity" John Muir

flintlock10
Spike Bull

Post by flintlock10 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:10 pm

I've always longed for the simpler life, I watch The Patriot regularly, one of my favorite movies. And I love the look and challenge of "one shot only or you go hungry". I am ex armoured corps ( Canadian, eh?) and grew up with high powered rifles like the FNC1 7.62mm rifle and the lee Enfield .303. Shooting them became a bore, so a friend convinced me to try the smoke pole and I fell head over heals with the idea. I own two Investarm Smoke poles one, a .50 cal percussion and the other is a .54 cal flintlock. I need to find black powder for my flintlock, triple 7 doesn't work well at all in this baby. I shoot regularly at the Sherwood Park fish and game club. They have an excellant black powder trail with metal targets from 10 yards to over 100 yards. I try to make all the RVs in the Edmonton- Rocky Mountain house area each summer but work seems to get in the way :( .
Cheers mates.

trg11
Spike Bull

Post by trg11 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:21 pm

i got to the point in the mid 70's that watching the clearcuts and dropping Deer from 250 yds with the Mdl.88 Win. .308 just did not seem like hunting anymore so I took the TC Hawken out one year and never use a cartridge gun again.

josephvalencia45
Spike Bull

Post by josephvalencia45 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:43 pm

Stick and string archery since 7 yrs. old B.B. guns,Sling shots, all non modern type weaponry since 8 - 9 yrs old. And LOTS and LOTS of Fireworks (in season of course). Got into modern weaponery for 20 yrs. Finally got boring so --- Yup you guessed it, back to non modern archery, bp fire arms -- The call is indeed strong in me (Still love Fireworks, Lots of 'em). Thats the main reason for BP --All That Noise , Fire and Smoke. AGotta love it !

mfwing82
4X4 Bull

Post by mfwing82 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:59 am

When I was just starting to hunt(10 or 12) my friend was only permitted to use a flintlock . I thought it was funny and he could not wait to be able to use a centerfire gun. Many moons later my neighbor would annoy me shooting his ridiculously loud flintlock . One afternoon it went on for hours so I went over to ask him to give it a break ,when I got there he had 2 guns one he had just won in a raffle . In that three min. it took me to walk over something must have happened because I shot his guns and walked away with the new T/C hawkins he won ($100) that was the first of 5 flintlocks I own . Must be something in that smoke

petew
5X5 Bull

Post by petew » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:23 am

The first Black Powder gun I shot was an Old 57 Snider my dad had. Ge got it from his grandfather with 5 shels, and I got to shoot the last one. It was cool to have to run around the smoke and see if I hit.!!
Then I was 16 ,still using Hi power modern guns, and later the hunt was lost in hunting, it became shooting.I turned to the compound bow, and then to longbows and recurves in order to get more hunt into my hunting. Next was selfbows, but all this time my brother was raving about black powder hunting, and it tweeked my interest again. Not enough to buy one, but enough to keep looking for a good deal on one.
This fall Doug passed away, and left me his guns, and in the lot was a pitted barrel caplock and a modern in line .
I tried the in line, and it was OK, but not what I realy was interested in, and the pitted kentucky type is not shootable as it is now, so yesterday I went out and picked up a Lyman Deerstalker Flintlock.
A flint is what has realy interested me all allong, so now the learning process begins.I don't know anything about what I am about to dive into, other than it is going to be a fun trip.
I wish there was a source of info on the forum, " Black Powder for Dummies", that takes a complete novice from mounting the flint, to loading ,to proper cleaning intervals and procedures. Some of us are green as grass, and finding a source on where to begin is hard or impossible.
It sure would be nice to know a bit before I need to ask things like what is the right way to put a flint in the jaws, and what does a good flint look like. The Flinter came with a dozen flints, but truthfully, they look like rocks to this new guy.
"ML Basics", would be a great sticky thread for the "want to be" ML shooters like me.

Pete
Pete ward
Share your knowledge and information
www.peteward.com

jrmflintlock
4X4 Bull

Post by jrmflintlock » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:23 pm

Like some of the folk said earlyer, I have always thought simpler is better. My first rifle was a single shot T/C Contender, one shot one kill. While in college I was a workstudy at the audio visual department and my boss was into doing rendezvous. He invited me out to go to the local rendesvous one year and I was hooked!! And to tell you the truth it was the people more than anything else that sealed the deal. I have never been around a group of people who are more welcoming and helpfull than the people who shoot and hunt traditional Muzzleloaders!! I went to the local pawn shop and bought the only BP rifle they had for $50 it was a .50 cal CVA Hawken that was in poor shape but by george it was a hawken. I quickly saved up the $$ to buy aTraditions Kentucky Rifle kit That little gun was a tack driver. The very next year at the rendezvous someone let me shoot a flinter and wow. I converted my Traditions a few months later. And then one Day I met A wonderful guy named Dennis McCandless at a local shoot and he told me I could use his shop and he would teach me how to build a Muzzleloader from scratch and in 1999 I built a .45 flinter in Tennesse Poorboy style. Once you have done that you can never go back! Its been a fun ride !! I hope it lasts for many years !!!! Now I have hunted BP exlusivly for the last 5 years! Even during the regular rifle season.

snow leopard
Spike Bull

Post by snow leopard » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:45 pm

just thought i'd drop in here with a real short story. i got started by building a CVA .50cal hawken kit in the late '70's with a friend who was a gunsmith part-time. browned the metalwork and barrel, used a butane tourch to make the stock look like fiddleback walnut, etc. it turned out really well. turned aorund and sold it. (married) been interested and have followed it since; first now getting seriously involved again. been into trad archery all my life, tho.

SteveMcD
4X4 Bull

Post by SteveMcD » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:52 pm

I would say I am very much the same. I also grew up with Fess Parker as Davey Crockett. But I think it was Jeremiah Johnson that was the icing on the cake. States were just starting up muzzleloader seasons and after watching Jeremiah Johnson peel that Hawken Rifle away from Hacthet Jack! I knew what I wanted.
Ther real deciding factor though was really my experiences as a bowhunter that brought me too muzzleloading, growing up as a two season hunter, by the late 70's early 80's I was getting pretty weary of the pumpkin army in gun season, so when the PRIMITIVE muzzleloader seasons opened up. As suspected I would enjoy the same quality time hunting as I did in the Bow Season, knowing that any Traditional Muzzleloader out hunting late in the season were serious hunters like myself that shared the same belief's and passions. Some seasons over the past 30 years I have actually forgone the regular seasons and only hunted the archery and muzzleloader seasons. Truth is.. these times are when I have killed many deer anyway.

The early Archery Season & Late Muzzleloader Seasons draw many parallels, especially the quality of the hunt.

Here are my two Smoke poles. A Thompson Center Hawken Flintlock and a Thompson Center Renegade, that I recently customized with a T/C Full Tang Peep Sight. I am almost 55 and have had these two darlings for more than half my life.

For the record... in my book "Inlines" DON'T Qualify as Muzzleloaders. Any more than a Compound Arrow Launcher is a Bow.

I often go hunting and fishing by myself. However, I am never alone. God and Dad are always with me.

Swampman
4X4 Bull

Post by Swampman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:52 pm

In the mid-1970s I bought a CVA .45 Kentucky Rifle kit at J.C. Penny's in the mall.

Encore28
Spike Bull

Post by Encore28 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:55 pm

My brother let me fire his .50 caliber T/C Hawken when I was 12 years old and 6(soon to be 7)Flintlocks later it is all history!! I think having a traditional flintlock season here in Pennsylvania also helped fuel my passion for blackpowder.
Encore28

chep
Spike Bull

Post by chep » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:13 pm

I'm just getting into it. What got me interested? Not sure exactly. Probably the option to hunt with them and also the nostalgia. I'm already into traditional archery so it must be something related.

ATB
Spike Bull

Post by ATB » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:08 pm

History, and the added hunting challenge

Young_buck
Spike Bull

Post by Young_buck » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:56 am

Growing up in Ohio, Always loved watching my dad sight in his T/C .50 before deer season. Then when i really got hooked was when i went to hunters saftey course. It was at a place called The Log Cabin, in Lodi Oh, to this day im still like a little kid in a candy store when I go in there! Absoutly wonderful traditional Black powder and traditional hunting/living store. After seeing all the traditional guns lining the walls i was hooked on black powder. After being in TX for 3 years now I still know Traditional hunting is the only way to go. Seeing all these High powered and modern rifle's at the range and in the field, makes me proud to be out there with open sights and a smoke pole!

pab1
Spike Bull

Post by pab1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:40 am

I ran a trap line growing up and watched Jeremiah Johnson every chance I got. That started my fascination with the fur trade era. It was still a long time before I got my first muzzleloader. One year on a backpack bow hunt in Colorados Eagles Nest Wilderness, my friends son showed up with a .54 T/C Black Mountain Magnum. I have always liked big bore handguns and after taking one look at that gun and the size of the hole in the barrel I knew I had to have one. Money was tight and I got a deal on what I thought must be just as good, a 20" barreled .50 cal in-line. The next year I made a 60 yard shot killing a 300 class 6X6 bull with it. I picked up another in-line shortly after that and then one day came across a used . 54 cal Renegade at a gun shop. There was just something about that gun that drew me to it. I bought it and took it on a weekend elk hunt in the Vasquez Peak Wilderness. Didn't see an elk on that trip but I couldn't stop looking at that gun. I even took pictures of it leaning against a tree at my camp. Then I found a used Lyman GPR at a black powder shop and was head over heels in love with that gun. I also picked up some real black powder at that shop and have been hooked on it ever since. I sold my in-lines and picked up many more traditional guns over the years ranging from .32-.62 caliber.

Gila Mike
Spike Bull

Post by Gila Mike » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Just like Swampman, my intro to ML was with a 45-cal Kentucky Rifle from J. C. Peney's in the mall (the mall was in Jackson, MS).

I was living in Mississippi at the time and hunting every season in the flooded timber of the Delta National Forest. This was back in the 1970s. My wife and I lived out of our freezer and I kept it full of game. When the state added a 10-day either sex "Primitive Weapons" season to the fall schedule, I bought the Kentucky Rifle and put it to good use.
[b]"New things are no good!" [/b]
. . . Steve McQueen in [i]The Hunter[/i]