On the subject of trade gun kits....

Traditional Muzzleloaders, Flintlocks, Pistols, front stuffer kits, etc.
Jared
Spike Bull
On the subject of trade gun kits....

Post by Jared » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:05 pm

I've been following the Pedersoli trade gun thread with interest. I've been shopping around for a trade gun kit for a year or so now, getting to know the terminology etc, looking to upgrade from my old caplock. They don't come cheap, even in kit form. But I'm a pretty handy guy, and like putting stuff together and think I can handle the fit and finish work.

Anyone have any experience with the Track of the Wolf kit? Pros and cons or comparisons with the Pedersoli?

Captchee
Global Moderator

Re: On the subject of trade gun kits....

Post by Captchee » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:18 pm

wel Tow sells an asymboly not a kit . so it will be more work then the pedersoli TG
but if your into what ToW sells . take a look at pecatoncia river , sitting fox , North star west just as a couple places

Stephen Decatur
Spike Bull

Post by Stephen Decatur » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:14 pm

The Pedersoli kit in the white seems like a good deal. The retail on a finished version is about $1050 and the kit was around $600 . I'm still working on mine and have not used it yet, so I don't know if there will be issues with the lock or not. I will let you know.

Jared
Spike Bull

Post by Jared » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:31 pm

Thanks for the couple extra leads Captchee, I'd seen Northstar west, the other two were new to me. One question, assembly vs kit? I'm guessing when you say that, you just mean, they sell you a box of parts essentially, not a complete, instructions and how to "kit"?

Stephen, where'd you find the Pedersoli for 600? 650 is the lowest I've seen.

Captchee
Global Moderator

Post by Captchee » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:32 am

Jared wrote:Thanks for the couple extra leads Captchee, I'd seen Northstar west, the other two were new to me. One question, assembly vs kit? I'm guessing when you say that, you just mean, they sell you a box of parts essentially, not a complete, instructions and how to "kit"?
Yes that’s what I mean .
The assemblies sold by ToW , NSW pecatonica , sitting fox , Jim chambers are builders assemblies . Even when you pay the inletting and drilling fee’s , you still do not have a production kit .
Basically what a production kit is , is a gun in the white . What this means is the gun has been completely built . Then taken apart and boxed up . So all you have to do is replace the parts .
But with an assembly, you have to do a lot of inletting , even though the stock is shown as pre shaped or carved , a lot more wood still needs to be removed . In most cases the breech area and tang have to be inlet . You have to also do all the drilling and taping of the lock , side plate , barrel lugs . But plate , Trigger plate , trigger guard , inlet the trigger .
They also do not come with instructions . So its best to buy a builders book that will teach you and show you what order to do things and what steps to take .

Also remember there are a lot of different models of trade guns .
Type C, type D , type G , NW trade guns , dutch guns , Spanish trade guns , fowlers .
With in all those there are different grades ranging from just the basic trade gun all the way up to a dressed up version called a chiefs gun
The North west trade guns would be the cheapest and easiest to build . Very simple and basic
Sitting fox offers a NW gun in assembly for 499.00
In the white , which is what you would get with the Pedersoli kit , for 800.00
He also sells finished NW guns at the same price I do IE 900-950

Jared
Spike Bull

Post by Jared » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:46 am

Thanks again Captchee, that clarifies some things. I don't have the money to be buying a finished gun, thats one of the reasons I'm looking at these other options. But also, I enjoy having a hand in the things I own.

The shaping and inletting I don't have a problem with, but I've heard the drilling and tapping are the tricky parts. I would be a first timer at these, does an average guy have a shot at doing a good job?

Stephen Decatur
Spike Bull

Post by Stephen Decatur » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:50 am

Jared wrote: Stephen, where'd you find the Pedersoli for 600? 650 is the lowest I've seen.
I picked mine up at Dixie Gun Works. it was 650. Sorry for generalizing.

I looked at the other kits out there and at the finished NW guns at all of the various sources being discussed and I settled on the Pedersoli kit since it seemed like the best bargain for what I was willing to spend. I also wanted something that looked more trade gun than white man's fowler, so that narrowed down the choices some more. The assembly work is complete and it only needs blueing, sanding/staining the stock and buffing the brass to be complete. That seems to be worth the extra 400 over the complete gun in my book. Another thing to consider is the kits requireing more work may make it impossible to finish before the turkey season gets here.;)

SD

Captchee
Global Moderator

Post by Captchee » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:39 pm

The shaping and inletting I don't have a problem with, but I've heard the drilling and tapping are the tricky parts. I would be a first timer at these, does an average guy have a shot at doing a good job?

yes . with out a doubt . if you have a drill press and make some simple jigs , sure no problem

Jared
Spike Bull

Post by Jared » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:36 pm

Thanks for the input guys, I'm still shopping, reading, and budgeting.

Yeah Steven, I understand, I'm not holding out for turkey season, maybe roundball and deer in the fall, best case scenario. ;)