The Antique Archery Arsenal

Created for the History of Archery. A place for collectors, enthusiast, onlookers, and answers.

The Antique Archery Arsenal

Postby Wade Phillips » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:49 am

Several guys have asked to see photographs of the archery stuff I’ve accumulated over the years. I joking call the place “The Antique Archery Arsenal” but it’s actually been more like a junk yard the past couple of years as things have become more than disorganized. we’ll start out with a few photographs, then periodically take some new ones as some of the mess gets cleaned up. Maybe this will help push me along to get some of the messes cleaned up…

I will try to arrange these photographs in order as one would walk from wall to wall and display to display

Below Back – 1871-1971 broadheads
Below Right Front – Kodiaks, 1959s on top, 1960s on bottom
Below Right Center – Kodiak Deluxe top 4, others Kodiaks 1961 to 1966

Below – 1930 Pre-Bear Grumley Bows and 1930s Bear Products Bows

Below – Some 1940s Bear Archery Grumley Bows

Below Left & Back – Some more 1940s Bear Archery Grumley bows, and other misc wooden recurves in green cases
Below Right – Temporary, inexpensive, adjustable, double sided bow racks with misc bows
Big mess in front of the temporary bow racks

Below Left – Temporary, inexpensive, adjustable, double sided bow racks with misc bows
Below Right – Mostly 1972 & newer broadheads plus some misc
Below Center - A few Super Kodiaks & T/Ds in green cases

Last edited by Wade Phillips on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: The Antique Archery Arsenal

Postby Wade Phillips » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:00 am

The next wall is part of the archery library.

The most important part of any collection is having documentation of the era to research and authenticate the items

Last edited by Wade Phillips on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:02 am

Below Near Rack - Top Kodiak Special Deluxe 1960, Kodiak Specials 1959 to 1967
Below Center Rack - Kodiak Special 1955 to 1958
Below Far Rack - Personal Shooters and Misc Bows

Last edited by Wade Phillips on Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:08 am

Still missing a few walls before we pick back up...

Bottom Green Case - William VanVorst's tackle that he used to take Michigan's first deer in their first B&A Season, 1937 license, carcass coupon, back tag, handmade yew longbow, arrow, broadhead, back quiver, 1937 antlers, photographs, and local newspaper clippings and Outdoor Life Magazine article about Michigan’s 1937 Bow and Arrow Deer season, known as “The First Season”.
Bottom Right Red Bow Cases - 1940s Bear Grumley Bows
Bottom Right Red Arrow Cases - 1870s to 1930s wood arrows.

Bottom Red Bow Cases - More 1940 Bear Grumley Bows
Bottom Red Bow Case at Far End - Glenn St. Charles Baleen Bows and St. Charles Thunderbirds
Bottom Red Arrow Cases - 1920s-1950s wooden arrows, Bitzenburger Display, ABCC Display. Traders

1870s to 1930s Arrows

Below - Horizontal Top - Glenn St. Charles Thunderbirds and Baleen bows
Below - Horizontal Bottom Case - William Van Vorst Bows, 1930s Michigan
Below - Left Bottom Bitzenberger items
Below - Right Bottom - Complete collection of ABCC Name Badges & ABCC Belt Buckles, ABCC Commemorative Arrows & Broadheads, ABCC Anniversary Pins, and other ABCC memorabilia.

Bitzenburger... Henry Bitzenburger's personal Yew T/D, "Old Lion Killer". Henry used this bow to kill the cougar in photograph. Bow is signed by Henry and other bowmen who accompanied him on the trip...

Below, Self Yew Bows made by some well known old-time Northwest Bowyers, Gilman Keasy, Cascade, Earl Grubbs, Homer Prouty, Kore Duryee, Damon Howatt.

Below - Bear Leather Hunting Quivers 1933-1971

Below Far Rack - 1870s to 1930s Wooden Bows
Below Center Rack - 1870s to 1950s Arrows
Below Near Rack - 1930s to 1940s Wooden Bows

Below Near Rack - 1955 to 1958 Bear Kodiaks
Below Center Rack - 1950 to 1954 Bear Kodiaks

Last edited by Wade Phillips on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:59 am, edited 7 times in total.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:08 am

WOW !
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Wade Phillips » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:09 am

A few individual displays that can not be clearly seen in the photographs taken from a distance....

Ace...

Bear... Includes many of Fred Bear's personal arrows including his oldest known big game hunting arrows and one of his kill arrows, Nels Grumley's personal arrows, first broadhead with insert blade that killed an animal, Fred's first broadhead that he hand made, Bear Giant, all known variations of the Pinned Bear, etc...

Ben Pearson...

Twelve cases of 1871-1971 Broadheads not on arrows...

Fish Points... Old photograph needs to be retaken... Case is one from the famous Eccleston Broadhead Collection. After broadheads were removed, I took the case completely apart and totally refurbished it, then used for fish points. Display needs to be expanded.

Some unorganized cord wood

Seven pairs of dowels

Three pairs of dowels

Six more pairs of dowels on an unfinished wall (need to get to work)

A box of misc bows...

Last edited by Wade Phillips on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:58 am, edited 7 times in total.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:26 am

Wade whats the bow riser wood in the picture above the red handled bow behind the brown tube?

The one with the green glass on the belly
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Postby Wade Phillips » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:59 pm

Greywolf - The bow is a Cliff Coe Wolverine Hunter. I believe the riser wood is some type of Walnut. The riser is laminated from two pieces of wood, 60/40.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby oldpaths » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:45 pm

Oh my goodness!!! that is awesome!!!!!!
Jeremiah 6:16
oldpaths
4X4 Bull

Postby Bill Tait » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:28 pm

I'm having a hard time breathing....!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Bill Tait
Spike Bull

Postby Blackstick » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:36 am

Wow! When you told me there were some serious Bear collectors on this site, I had no idea.
Blackstick
Spike Bull

Postby Tom Kidwell » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:57 am

The word "Impressive" is simply not good enough to describe your collection, and the contribution you have made to archery in gathering such a collection. Undoubtably, the work of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Tom
Life Member - Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Member
Tom Kidwell
Raghorn Bull

Postby TradRag » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:48 am

WOW... I would love to walk around in there some day. Do you charge admission? :P That is amazing and at the same time a bit overwhelming. I see a road trip north some day. Where in Nebraska?
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby turkey522 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:59 am

Very nice collection Wade.
turkey522
Raghorn Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:15 am

Bryan – We are in Omaha. Traditional bowmen are always welcome here. There is never any charge for visitors (but if your name if Bowdoc, you may be frisked before you leave) :rolf:

If you are really interested in collecting old archery tackle, plan to spend at least a day or two. We have lots of room and can always find an extra bed, cot or couch for you to sleep on. I've driven to Oklahoma many times and it's not that far to most places from here.

Tom – Yes it has been a lifetime of hoarding, organizing, trading, buying, selling, documenting, researching, and searching for old archery tackle. Still have most of our tackle from when we started in archery in 1958. It has been great fun.

Blackstick – Lots of guys are collecting Bear items these days. Each person has their own area or period of interest in collecting. Although I have many archery collecting interests besides Bear items, my interest in Bear equipment is from the early 1930s to the mid 1960s. There are so many different types of Bear items to collect, nobody could ever dream to collect them all.

Bill – Sometimes, I have a hard time breathing too, especially when I am carrying some of these displays up or down the stairs to take out to show… Going down the stairs is much easier.

Oldpaths – You can see a lot more in person than you can see in my very amateurish photographs.

Turkey522 - Thanks. Will try to get some additional photographs in the next day or so when I finish getting one of my biggest messes cleaned up along one wall not shown yet. Working on display that I started on this morning, so best get back to it before I forget what I was doing (that seems to be a more frequent problem with each passing year)...
Last edited by Wade Phillips on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:39 am

Wade,

What a fantastic collection!

Bryan...That would be a great road trip.
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Postby kurtbel5 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi Wade
Someday I will take you upon that offer.
Do you have bibs or are people responsible for their own drool??
kurtbel5
5X5 Bull

Postby Trap » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:20 pm

If I ever show up I'm bringing my 3 kids. They love running around through hallways and jumping on and over stuff. That'll keep you on your toes and create a nice diversion. :P

Very impressive, Trap

Oh and I'll provide my own bib. The thought of wearing someone else's slobbers around my neck would detract from the whole experience.
"There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace." Aldo Leopold
Trap
5X5 Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:37 pm

Rick - You can't be that far away living in Missouri...

Kurt - The invitation is open anytime, jut let me know.

Trap - If you bring your 3 girls, I may have to install a metal detector at the front door... You should leave them at home and bring your bows.

Long day today, but pretty well finished up the display that I started this morning. Also got most of that north west wall back together enough to take a photograph or two. The green case at left was the project of the day.... Some of this tackle has been shown before but now most of it is in one place... It is all William VanVorst's equipment.

The left side of the green case has William VanVorsts 1937 archery tackle that he used to take the first deer in Mighigan's first Bow & Arrow season in 1937... The display has VanVorst’s 1937 license, carcass coupon, back tag, handmade yew longbow, arrow, broadhead, back quiver, 1937 antlers, photographs, and local newspaper clippings and Outdoor Life Magazine article about Michigan’s 1937 Bow and Arrow Deer season, known as “The First Season”. Only three deer were taken during that season, Nels Grumley and Leo Lang took the other two. The right side has other bows made by VanVorst and photographs and Newspaper clippings about him from 1939. After taking the first B&A license deer, he became a well known celebrity among Michigan sportsmen .

In 1937 Michigan held its first special Bow and Arrow only deer season from November 1-14. Previously, bowmen could hunt deer only during Michigan’s regular firearm deer season. The 1937 archery only season was open exclusively for two counties, Losco and Newaygo. The 1937 license cost $2.25 and permitted a bowman to take one bear and one male deer with antlers extending not less than three inches above the skull. On October 11, 1937, Resident License #262 was purchased by William VanVorst of Lowell, Michigan. It was one of only 186 that were issued in 1937.

On November 6, 1937 William VanVorst took the first deer of this special season with a single arrow. Like many bowmen of the 1930s era, VanVorst handmade his own tackle including his self yew bow. VanVorst’s tackle is well documented in photographs from the 1937 hunt. The broadhead VanVorst used features a sloped shoulder blade with an easily sharpened convex cutting edge. The slotted blade is soldered to a tapered ferrule making it one of the earliest tapered ferrule heads produced for US sport hunting.

The head on the broken arrow above the antlers is the actual broadhead on the arrow that VanVorst used to take his 1937 deer. VanVorst inscribed the broken wooden arrow, “Wm VanVorst, Lowell, Mich, 11-6-37, Biteley, Mich, License #262, Spike Horn, 126#.” Although the exact number of these broadheads that were produced is not known, only five are presently known to be in the possession of collectors.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:57 pm

Posted the photograph above in the correct order by editing the second post. Also edited that post with this photograph of the rest of that wall to the corner where the Bear Leather Quiver Display begins...

Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Cody Roiter » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:23 pm

Wade.. the more you post the more I want to come out someday I am in hopes next summer.. Wade I just cant think how cool it would be to have a bastment full of old archery history like you... I know it took blood, money and a hell of a lot of hard work... And I also wanted to say thanks so much Wade for the past years of Help you have gave me.. I dont think I would be into as much as without the help of you and the others... Guys I am raising my glass to all of you..

Thank you guys for the past years Help....

Cody L. Roiter
Michigan.;..
>>>------------>
Cody Roiter
Cody Roiter
5X5 Bull

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:52 pm

Wade..according to map quest, I am just 3 hours, 14 minutes and 48 seconds from your door step :rolf:

I live pretty close to some of your relation. I'm in Blue Springs and I think you said they lived in Independence. Give me a shout when your down in this area.
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Postby TradRag » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:00 pm

bowhunterfrompast wrote:Wade..according to map quest, I am just 3 hours, 14 minutes and 48 seconds from your door step :rolf:

I live pretty close to some of your relation. I'm in Blue Springs and I think you said they lived in Independence. Give me a shout when your down in this area.

I am 8 hrs. and some change.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com
TradRag
Site Admin

Postby Whitewolf » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:04 pm

Wade-
What a fantastic collection! And organized to boot! I've gotta ask. Do you have any idea how many bows, arrows, heads and quivers you have? I gotta go back up and look at the pics again!
One stick, one string. What more does a guy need? Oh yeah, and something that makes LOTS of smoke when you pull the trigger!
Whitewolf
5X5 Bull

Postby xring » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:43 pm

That's an impressive collection. So Wade, got any Groves spitfires hanging around?
Black Widow PSA III 57@28
Black Widow PSA X 52@28
Groves Spitfire Mag III 48@28
Toelke Whip 52@28
Deutsch Drahthaar
xring
4X4 Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:32 am

Cody, Rick & Bryan - Now that you have your MapQuest files printed out, let me know when you are heading our way.

Whitewolf - Things may appear to be organized in the photographs, but under or behind many of the displays I've hidden a lot of unorganized stuff. Also have not shown photographs of the piles of disorganization. Last time I counted bows there were over 750, it's likely somewhere around 800 now. Last time I counted heads was a couple of years ago, it was over 5,000. Thousands of arrows, in boxes, only about 400 in displays, over 100 different Bear Leather Hunting Quivers but many are not in the display.

xring wrote:... got any Groves spitfires hanging around?

xring - I don't really collect target bows, but do have a Groves Spitfire Target.

I kept it because Groves unique 2-piece angled takedown system is one of the simplest takedowns ever. Groves' clever design is tops on my list for screw apart takedowns because it can turn an eye catching old traditional bow into a takedown. When the bow is assembled, most people don't even realize the bow is a takedown.
Attachments
Groves.jpg
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Okie » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:08 am

Man, that is one awesome collection. Thanks for sharing. You may need to build a motel outside of your house for all of us that want to come see it. :D
John Holman
www.bearcreekselfbows.com
Founding Member- Oklahoma Selfbow Society
"Preserving the Heritage of Primitive Archery"
>>>>>>------------------------------------->
Okie
Global Moderator

Postby Wade Phillips » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:37 pm

John - Glad you like the photographs. We have a Motel 8 about a half a mile away as the crow flies.

Is that you on the back of that Elk ??? Or is that photograph doctored up?
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Okie » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:14 pm

LOL!! I couldn't even find an elk this year... let alone get on one. :rolf:
Motel sounds good. I see a road trip in the near future.
John Holman
www.bearcreekselfbows.com
Founding Member- Oklahoma Selfbow Society
"Preserving the Heritage of Primitive Archery"
>>>>>>------------------------------------->
Okie
Global Moderator

Postby Wade Phillips » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:43 pm

Just added to above photographs...

A few individual displays that can not be seen in the photographs taken from a distance....

Ace...

Bear... Includes many of Fred Bear's personal arrows including his oldest known big game hunting arrows and one of his kill arrows, Nels Grumley's personal arrows, first broadhead with insert blade that killed an animal, Fred's first broadhead that he hand made, Bear Giant, all known variations of the Pinned Bear, etc...

Ben Pearson...

Bitzenburger...

Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Next

Return to History of Archery