Fred Bear’s Personal Bows

Created for the History of Archery. A place for collectors, enthusiast, onlookers, and answers.

Fred Bear’s Personal Bows

Postby Wade Phillips » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:49 pm

Some of Fred Bear's Personal Hunting Bows

Poster of Five of Fred’s Personal bows...

Top to bottom, 1959 Kodiak, 1966 Kodiak, Exp Latch T/D, 1964 Kodiak, 1963 Kodiak Dogleg

The Happy Scrounger... On display in the Pope & Young Club / St. Charles Museum

Fred Bear shooting his Snake Skin Back Grumley Deerslayer...

Fred Bear's Grumley Deerslayer, (bow on left), originally contained in the Eccleston Collection...
Attachments
Grumley 006.jpg
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Re: Fred Bear’s Personal Bows

Postby Raineman » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:05 pm

Brazilian Rosewood '65???

Someone please come pick me up off the floor, because I just fainted.

What I would give to just hold that bow.

WOW!
Raineman
Raghorn Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:12 pm

Jim -

Yes, I believe "The Happy Scrounger" is the coolest 1965 Kodiak I have ever seen. The Brazilian Rosewood is outstanding.

Just a shame it is not in the poster with the 63, 64 and 66 Kodiaks.
Last edited by Wade Phillips on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby JavelinaHink » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:45 pm

Thanks for sharing Wade........nice, Hink :mrgreen:
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.
JavelinaHink
4X4 Bull

Postby Wolf Among Dogs » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:14 pm

very cool stuff !
~ If you arent helping to preserve the wilderness , youre helping to destroy it. ~
~Longbows forever!~
Wolf Among Dogs
Raghorn Bull

Postby mooseman1967 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:26 am

Getting to see your collection and pics was awsome!!!
Thanks again, Dave

P.S.
I'm still thinking about that pic with the bear hanging on the back of the motercycle.
mooseman1967
4X4 Bull

Postby bowdoc » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:06 am

I kind of think its more 1964 with gray limbs and overlays and then with a 1965 brarizilian rosewood riser.That is for sure one of the coolest bows around.Jim seeing that bow in person is worth the trip to the P&Y.Fact is you should put that on your bucket list to see that one.bowdoc
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Raineman » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:51 am

Why do they call it the "Happy Scrounger"?
Raineman
Raghorn Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:18 am

Jim - Guess I should have told a brief background behind the name when I posted the photograph.

When Glenn visited the Bear factory, he always took time to look around for things that might be historically important that he might be able to hijack to take back to Seattle with him. In a trash barrel in the back Glenn found the bow and took it to Fred who signed it "To Glenn St. Charles The Happy Scrounger"...

On October, 2, 2004, the day the Pope and Young Club / St. Charles Museum officially opened it doors, there was a big grand opening. Glenn and Joe St. Charles were both there. After the formal ceremonies and the ribbon cutting at the doors, everyone went into the museum display room to look at everything.

After a few hours, Joe and I were standing in front of the display case with several bows that included "The Happy Scrounger", which was tuned with the inscription in the sight window facing downward so the inscription could not be seen. Actually the side opposite the sight window probably has prettier grain then the side in the photo above. Glenn pulled up between us in his powered wheelchair, and joined in the conversation. We just happened to be talking about the "The Happy Scrounger" and Glenn told us the familiar and always entertaining story about how he found the bow and how Fred signed it to him.

Glenn asked were "The Happy Scrounger" was, we told him right in this case in front of us that we were leaning on. When he looked at it, he couldn't believe the inscription was turned downward. He insisted that we turn bow around so everyone could see it. It was a very busy day at the museum with all the people there. Kevin and Glenn Hisey were really busy with all the guests, and it took quite a while to locate the key to fit that case. While we were waiting for the key, every couple of minutes, Glenn would ask where that key was and tell us we needed to get the bow turned over so everyone could see the inscription. Finally the case was unlocked and we got the bow flipped over so the inscription was visible. Glenn settled down and became very happy when he was finally able to see inscription from his old friend.

We should all be thankful that Glenn was far sighted enough to save "The Happy Scrounger" and all the other artifacts that he has preserved over the years.
Last edited by Wade Phillips on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby JavelinaHink » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:08 am

Neat story Wade. 8-) I would like to make that trip next year to see all that history again.......Hink
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.
JavelinaHink
4X4 Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:12 am

Bill -

Why don't you just come here first for a few days, then we can go up to P&Y together from here. It is only about 5 hours away from my place.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby JavelinaHink » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:35 am

Wade......sounds like a plan....just have work out the time.........hmm" lets see........Hink :idea:
JavelinaHink
4X4 Bull

Postby Cody Roiter » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:59 am

Thanks Wade, For posting Mr.Bear bows.. I have never seen anything like the Exp Latch T/D.. Very cool.. Also would that 1966 Kodiak with the white glass be the bow that Fred used on his Polar Bear hunt ?........

Great photos,

Cody
>>>------------>
Cody Roiter
Cody Roiter
5X5 Bull

Postby reddogge » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:17 am

Wade,
Is "The Happy Scrounger" '65 unshootable and that's why it went into the trash?
reddogge
4X4 Bull

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:19 am

Wade...great story about the "The Happy Scrounger".

Bucket list:

Pope and Young museum
Fred Bear museum
ABCC gatherings
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Postby bowdoc » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:51 am

I believe she's rock solid and could be shot I personaly packed the bow when it was shipped from Seattle and she looked great then.I believe it being in the barrel may have had more to do with Fred shooting regular over the counter models rather then a custom no one else could get.bowdoc
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:55 am

Cody -

That Exp Latch T/D is a cool bow. The mechanism to remove the limbs works something like a the lever of a double barrel shotgun.

The 1966 Kodiak is the bow that Fred Killed his Polar bear with in 1966. The limbs really are not white glass, they are just painted white. If you look closely at the enlargements, you can see the white paint over spray on the laminations and riser.
Last edited by Wade Phillips on Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:01 pm

reddogge wrote:Wade,
Is "The Happy Scrounger" '65 unshootable and that's why it went into the trash?

I really don't know if "The Happy Scrounger" is shootable or not. Guess I wasn't thinking when we flipped that bow over, I should have checked it over a little closer. Never came to mine to string it and shoot it as I'm right handed. ;)

I really didn't notice any damage to the bow that was obvious. But then, when you are in the presence of that bow, it is hard to even take your eyes off that riser and look at the other parts of the bow.

If Doc checked it over and says it rock solid, that is good enough for me.

Undoubtedly Doc has repaired more old bows then most guys have seen.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:20 pm

bowdoc wrote:I believe she's rock solid and could be shot I personaly packed the bow when it was shipped from Seattle ...

Doc - Given that you were the guy who packed up "The Happy Scrounger", I'm surprised that it got shipped to Minnesota, rather than to your shop. :rolf:

Just joking of course.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby bowdoc » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:39 pm

To tell you the truth that was a sad day in my archery life right there moving P&Y.On the other hand I was happy to think some folks who could never make the trip west for what ever reason may never see the scrounger in person.Its new location would make it far more accessable to everyone who wanted to visit the musium so it was for the better.Bitter sweet you might say.I was a customer of NWA since about 1969 and I gotta tell ya seeing the musium grow into the massive dispaly of archery history is a story in itself.Glenn and Joe always buying selling trading and yes scrounging to fit the pieces together.If you can ever make the trip you should just do it.That is the SIGHTS SOUNDS & SMELLS of ARCHERY right there my friends.bowdoc
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:06 pm

Doc - I know exactly what you are talking about, that sad but still happy feeling .

In February 2002, I spent a week in Seattle taking photographs of broadheads that the Museum had, that I did not have in my personal collection in preparation for printing the first edition of "Broadheads 1871-1971 Identification and Rarity Guide". One of the best weeks ever for me. Every evening we watched original film footage of the first Little Delta hunt in 1957, the year before Fred first hunted there with Glenn and the others. Watching reel after reel after reel of that 1957 film footage was unbelievable, but having Glenn right there as the narrator was beyond words. Being able to ask Glenn questions about the footage and the hunt and having him answer the questions was just too cool.

The last afternoon I was there Joe bought out several old blankets and asked me if I would help him. We began to take the misc recurves off the racks in the center of the big room and wrap them in the blankets. I asked Joe why we were wrapping up the bows and he said that they were going to be in the first shipment of stuff to Minnesota.

It wasn't until then that it really hit me, that it was the last time I'd see the museum intact in Seattle. The rest of the afternoon and evening was pretty sad knowing the special times spent there could never be relived, except in my memories.

I was at the new location of the Museum in Minnesota a few times before it opened, the day it opened and have visited it several times since it opened. It is a great place, the people are wonderful and there is more room than at Seattle. Different walls, different sounds and different smells than when it was at Northwest Archery. But same great artifacts to enjoy seeing.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:38 pm

Cody -

Here is a close up of some of the over spray on Fred's 1966 Kodiak....

If you enlarge the photograph, you can see the over spray clearly...

Note there are no limb laminations visible to the left of the glass overlays as they are covered with white paint.
Attachments
aros 002.jpg
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby bowdoc » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:49 pm

Holy balls man that was a gut wrencher at first but once we understood it was for the better of archery.The problem now is I miss the darn place so much I need to go and get a look at the new musium.
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Cody Roiter » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:02 pm

Wade Phillips wrote:Cody -

Here is a close up of some of the over spray on Fred's 1966 Kodiak....

If you enlarge the photograph, you can see the over spray clearly...

Note there are no limb laminations visible to the left of the glass overlays as they are covered with white paint.

Thanks for the close up Mr. Philips....
>>>------------>
Cody Roiter
Cody Roiter
5X5 Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:48 pm

Doc - I heard the old site of Northwest Archery has some new eating establishment on it. Is that ture?

Do you go by that way to check it out?
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby bowdoc » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:07 am

Oh yes Wade about 10 of them fine eateries on that sight.The whole 5 plus acers Glenn owned is a strip mall now.I drive by there several times a week all 3 of our kids live that same direction.bd
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Grant Young » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:52 am

I'm trying to post my first archived pictures here and I hope it works. Since I'm kind of a tweak, I asked Moose to send me some close-up pics of the modifications Fred applied to his last takedown handle. If I can't post them here right now, I'll get it figured out and post them as soon as work will allow. Grant
Fred 2.jpg
Grant Young
4X4 Bull

Postby Grant Young » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:53 am

From the back-
Fred.jpg
Grant Young
4X4 Bull

Postby Grant Young » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:57 am

And now the dimensions if I can make them work
Bow Size.jpg
Grant Young
4X4 Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:22 pm

Digging around through some old photographs today and found this one of the coin side of "The Happy Scrounger"... Took it the day the Museum opened while we waiting for the key to the case so we could flip the bow over to see Fred's inscription to Glenn in the sight window... the photograph in the first post was taken on a trip to the Museum the following year.

Doc - A little better view of more of the riser. You probably see why I called it a 1965 Kodiak...
Attachments
HAPPY-S.JPG
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Next

Return to History of Archery