Fred Bear’s Personal Bows

Created for the History of Archery. A place for collectors, enthusiast, onlookers, and answers.

Re: Fred Bear’s Personal Bows

Postby reddogge » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:41 pm

Birdseye or Spalted that is a very unique bow.
reddogge
4X4 Bull

Postby bowdoc » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:15 am

I'll get some close ups later this morning of the birdseye and or spalted quilted fiddelback whatever it is.I am running well behind after the holiday and the worse thing of all I'am just getting over the flu and my wife is just now coming down with it.Holy smokes you might want to try and avoid getting that chit.bd
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:09 am

Doc - Take care of yourself. Drink lots of non caffeinated liquids, get plenty of rest and don't be worrying about those old bows. You could just package them all up and mail them to me so you are not worrying over them... ;)

Looking forward to seeing your birdseye, spalted, spotted, quilted, quilted, fiddelback, patterened, incandescent raindrop in the dust, photographs when you post them.
Last edited by Wade Phillips on Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby bowdoc » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:39 pm

thanks Wade I'am feeling better today for sure.I took some pics of Bugsy I found rather interesting.See ya all real soon.
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby bowdoc » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:04 am

Pics soon
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Seneca Archer » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:53 am

Is there any pictorial or anecdotal evidence that Fred ever hunted with a Kodiak Magnum??

Or, for that matter, any bow besides a Kodiak or Bear T/D?
Seneca Archer
5X5 Bull

Postby bowdoc » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:42 pm

sorry about not getting these pics up sooner.If any one is interested here is the Happy Scrounger's brother and a 1965 Kodiak the Scrounger most have been the proto for the 1965 Kodiak check of these pics.
Attachments
bugsy 001.JPG
Last edited by bowdoc on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby bowdoc » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:43 pm

and then
Attachments
bugsy 003.JPG
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby bowdoc » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:44 pm

and then and then...
Attachments
bugsy 004.JPG
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby bowdoc » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:45 pm

and.......
Attachments
bugsy 006.JPG
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby bowdoc » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:46 pm

and the riser...
Attachments
bugsy 008.JPG
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:39 pm

Seneca Archer wrote:Is there any pictorial or anecdotal evidence that Fred ever hunted with a Kodiak Magnum??

Or, for that matter, any bow besides a Kodiak or Bear T/D?

Don't recall seeing Fred with a Kodiak Magnum in this hand while hunting.

Lots of hunting photographs of Fred with Grumley bows and Super Kodiaks.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:41 pm

Doc - Cool bow. Great wood. I'll bet it looks even better in person.

Photographs just can't catch the true beauty of most wood.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:03 pm

Doc...what a great looking bow, love the grain and color.
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:06 pm

Doc - Forgot to ask you about the Rabbit Coin in the bow.... Bugbsy???

Who made that coin?
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby reddogge » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:06 am

Two beautiful bows. Were you wearing your safety harness while on the chair doc?
reddogge
4X4 Bull

Postby bowdoc » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:03 am

Wade thats atuually an Indian head nickle in bugsy.
Attachments
bugsy 013.JPG
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:01 pm

Doc - Boy did I miss that one. The way the photo is it looks like a cotton tail squatted down with the bottom of the rabbit being the bottom of the coin that way the coin is oriented in the photograph.

Didn't even realize it was an Indian with nose pointed upward the way the photograph is facing.

Never realized that Indian image was dual purpose.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby droptine59 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:59 pm

Great stuff guys. Doc is that an actual Bear bow or aftermarket replica?, Outstanding
droptine59
Raghorn Bull

Postby shick » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:44 am

Great information fellows. A pleasure to see bows of significance. Thanks
Shick
shick
Spike Bull

Postby Hoof » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:03 pm

Neat stuff and great reading... thanks guys for posting up and sharing history and pics. That Busgy bow is AWESOME Doc :shock: ! Next good vacation the P&Y museum will be on my travel route.
Hoof
Raghorn Bull

Postby Sticknstring+ » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:55 pm

Wow. That's beautiful! I'd love to see that Birdseye Super K next to the birdseye Tamerlane the wood looks very similar.
Sticknstring+
Spike Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Doc-

Finally got around to taking this photograph of the Happy Scrounger a couple of weeks ago.

Below and above are risers of a 1964 and 1965 Kodiak for comparison.
Attachments
Happy Scrounger with 64 & 65 Kodiaks.JPG
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby JavelinaHink » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:52 am

Wade....Fred's Bows with a Compass, that are NOT your standard Bear Compass like the ones used on the '54 KII. This one has a raised curved magnified lens. See the attached pictures. There are bows that have the curved lens compass like this one, two of Fred's personal Hunting bows that are in the Springfield Museum. A curved compass is on his 1959 Kodiak he took Brownies in Alaska with, and his 1963 Kodiak he took the Tiger with.

Does anyone know of any other bows that have the compass with the dome lens ? Hink 8-)
Attachments
Comp5[1].jpg
Comp6[1].jpg
DSCN0969.JPG
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.
JavelinaHink
4X4 Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:30 pm

Bill -

Cool compass collection.

The dome acts as magnifier. Sure bets caring a magnifying glass to read your compass.

Are you going to have Grant put that one into a shooting glove for you?

All you need now is a broken one and one that doesn't work to complete the set.

I just happen to have a broken one and one that doesn't work, if you are interested in a trade....

:roll:
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Missaukee » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:17 am

I know this is old, but I have a few things to add.

The all black super K was supposed to be photographed in the fall of 1966 while in Nebraska. I get that from the December, 2006 NEBRASKAland issue, that I picked up by chance while in NE at that time. There are also photos of him, presumably in 1976 (in NE) with a camo painted wood handled T/D, with a raised button medallion. This appears to be the same bow as a photo of him shows him shooting when the plant moved to Gainesville.

Though not reliable, the catalogs describe the Polar Bear and lion bow as having been shot with a Super K. Could it have been the same form? Fred also says he shot his Polar bear with a super K. Who knows.

There were, on other sights, questions as to the number of wood handle T/D's he used. From my research he used at least three. The famous one signed to himself in 1972, the above mentioned camo painted one, and in the history of the bow and arrow video he is holding a wood handle without the signature, also without the latch bears (presumably fallen off). He also used a magnesium handle, probably only for field testing?

I would be very curious to know what the camo painted t/d looks like. Could it have been a blue stripe? Maybe.

It is also interesting to note that he doesn't always look like Fred Bear in the non-publicity photos. Camo feathers, bows, and different hats.
Missaukee
Raghorn Bull

Postby Grant Young » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:39 pm

I've noticed some of these as well, Missauke. There is a picture of Mr. B that's gone around a few of the sites of Fred and the last deer he shot in Michigan- the bow he is holding is somewhat darker than the autographed model that Moose Rancich owns and the shelf is lower and narrower-more like the "Scrounger." Of course, some of this could be caused by the angle of the camera and available light but I'm pretty comfortable with the idea that its a different bow. I believe its the same one that is in the photo on the back cover of the '77 catalogue. The only one I've seen that I thought might be camoed is the one in the pictures taken at Dick Mauch's place in Nebraska and later published in "Bows on the Little Delta." The photos are black and white, however and I couldn't be sure. Glad you pointed it out. The bow that Moose owns-if it is indeed a different bow- is the one Mr. Bear took to Grousehaven and frequently loaned to guys like Fred Wallace of Bowhunter magazine and Jim Doughtery- both were left handed. That shelf is left high enough that it could be shot off the shelf with a little adjustment on the shooter's part and the remaining ledge is 1/2 inch wide, according to Moose who was kind enough to send me the specs and measurements. These are only hunches on my part. I would also point out that although the inscription on the site window isn't visible in the film you mentioned the ivory medallion that he replaced the coin with is and so is the threaded brass bushing on the off side of the sight window that is present in Mooses bow as well-for what purpose, I don't know. I'd point out also that the dyes used in the futurewood can leach out or lighten over time exposed to sunlight. Also, ambient light can cause the shading to appear lighter or darker. Another small feature of the two bows -if they are two different bows- is the contour of the grip. Each bow is a modified StyleI B riser- slimmer through the palm swell and around the heel area than the pr
Grant Young
4X4 Bull

Postby Grant Young » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:58 pm

Sorry about that- writing too much- as I was saying slimmer all around than the production models but lacking the scalloped area on the finger side of the grip which is what causes the S shape common in later models. If they are different bows they are very similar in dimensions. Although the inscription isn't apparent in the film the clossy finish and the oblique angle of the camera to the bow could have obscured it. That's why I can only suspect different risers and wouldn't be comfortable saying for sure on the basis of a few photos.
In regard to the Black Super Kodiak prototype on the cover of the first edition of the "Arher's Bible," numerous ads, and The Nebraskan ( I have a copy as well), again we can't say for sure because one of the distinctive features of the first version he's seen with is the wide, squared off lower overlay on the back side of the riser. That bow also did not have the cut-in section at the lower limb fade out that was a feature of the production Super Kodiaks and different from the '65 and '66 Kodiaks. It also isn't present on the Polar bear bow. Bill Krenz asked me awhile back if I had ever seen a "hero" picture of Fred with a Super Kodiak and I have not-at least that I could see enough of the bow to be sure. There is a photo of Fred and a large bull moose taken in '66 that Easton used on an early 80s arrow catalogue and selection chart that features that picture as well as photos of Gayle Martin, Larry Jones, Jim Doughtery and Midge Dandridge. The captions list bow models, weights, and arrow. Fred's states, Bear Super Kodiak, 65#, and Magnum 320 arrows. The bow itself is lying atop the Moose and the angle of the photo is directly facing the limb tip with no profile. Interesting stuff. Even the handle of the Alskan compound he tried to shoot briefly had vitually no shelf. His bows simply weren't stock models. Sorry to have written so much. Grant Young
Grant Young
4X4 Bull

Postby goosebuster » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:17 pm

Grant, Please do`nt be sorry for writing too much. Love to read all I can about Bear T/D`s
goosebuster
Raghorn Bull

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:22 am

goosebuster wrote:Grant, Please do`nt be sorry for writing too much. Love to read all I can about Bear T/D`s

I'm with goosebuster, love reading everything about these old bows.
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

PreviousNext

Return to History of Archery