Fred Bear’s Personal Bows

Created for the History of Archery. A place for collectors, enthusiast, onlookers, and answers.

Re: Fred Bear’s Personal Bows

Postby Missaukee » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:59 am

The camo T/D I speak of is the one that would also be in the Little Delta Book. It is in color in the Nebraskaland article, it is actually brown and the photo shows good detail. I never knew Glenn St. Charles shot a compound! I will have to get the Little Delta book. Check it out.

Also, I should check again, but I am convinced the handle in "History of the Bow and Arrow" does not have a signature. Interesting. In reality, I think there are somewhere around 10 or so pictures (I haven't added them up yet) of Fred and Whitetails (different deer), and he shot about 40 of them. Who knows what types of bows or how many he went through, probably a lot! I generally assume the pictures we see used are those that show fairly standard equipment, not so much of the prototype stuff.
Missaukee
Raghorn Bull

Postby Grant Young » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:03 am

Missauke- Bill Krenz was a Vice President of Bear Archery in the 90s and he told me an interesting story. He said he found a barrel of Mr. Bear's old bows back in the warehouse and took some of them and cleaned them up and hung them on his office wall. Of course, they were all heavily modified in regard to the grip and lack of a shooting shelf. He asked Frank Scott why they weren't in the museum and Frank responded; "Oh no, Mr. Bear didn't want anyone to see his bows because they were different and he (Fred) didn't want the public take issue with the difference." That's why you never see pictures of Bear's bows taken up close from the shelf side in any of the published pictures until much later in his life after Walter Kidde Co. purchased Bear from Victor and the market had become dominated by compound bows. I guess he figured by then that it couldn't hurt anything, LOL. i would personally pay a good sum of money just to examine the bows that were left that Bill found, much less the entire lineup. I saw one of his bows early in my life and it had a great deal to do with the way I ended up shooting and the mmodifications done to my own bows. Of course I was only around twelve years old and he was the only genuine bowhunter that I was aware of and I figured it was the "secret"-of course it isn't but I still shoot that way forty four years later,lol. Neat bows and a very influential man. Grant
Grant Young
4X4 Bull

Postby bowdoc » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:20 am

OK I'am going to be the odd duck here (as always) I ai'nt in any why shape or form buying into the story of Fred Bear signing the bow to himself no way.That even sounds to goofy to be true and why would Fred Bear sign a bow to himself ? what he got borded on a hunt and said wow I'll just sign this bow to myself ? no way and whom ever started that rumor should be drummed out of collecting forever,It does not even make since to me......sorry guys bd
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Grant Young » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:54 am

http://www.fredbear-online.com/frankscott/ http://www.fredbear-online.com/frankscott/ Sorry Bowdaddy but the bow is pretty well documented- The two urls I listed will take you to two good pictures of the bow; One is of Frank Scott holding it and the other was taken at Grousehaven. It's also featured in Lattimer's book and Charlie Kroll's biography of Fred Bear. He ( Fred) apparently thought it was funny. The inscription reads Happy Hunting Fred Bear in block letters and then his signature in cursive script and the date -1972. Bear loaned the bow to Fred Wallace of "Bowhunter" magazine when he was at Grousehaven, Wallace killed two deer with the bow and wrote a pretty good article on the event. He makes reference to the incription as well. Really no question about if he did it; only question is how many of these bows did he use. Its not the same bow he shot the water buffalo with and it isn't the same bow he's using in the early takedown advertisements because the glass on the belly of the riser on that one stopped short of the latches like it does on the C risers. This bow also appears to be a lighter color than the one shown in some photos as well as the one that is in the short ad skit that follows some of the films- the one where he is teaching a young boy to shoot. Those inconsistencies are what caused the question. BTW- I thought the signed bow was a little weird myself but people who knew him seem to think it was compatible with his sense of humor. After all- he'd signed thousands for people he didn't really know; why not sign one to himself, I guess. When you have time check those sites out and I'll try to color copy some of the pictures and text and send them out to you. Talk soon, GY
Grant Young
4X4 Bull

Postby Grant Young » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:37 am

For anyone who may be interested, this is a link to Fred Wallace's article on the Free Library. Pretty good. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/One+Day+a ... a057104873 One of the things that makes me suspect at least two of these modified StyleI risers is the contrast that Wallace has to say about the shelf of the inscribed bow ( he says that it could be shot off the shelf) and what Charlie Lamb said about Bear's bow when he got to handle and even shoot it in 1974 or '75 on a bear hunt in Canada. Check out the Tradgang link I'm posting here also- pictures show that there is clearly no inscription in the sight window and the date is well beyond the 1972 date of the inscribed bow. Also,the wood is difinitely darker and has a more flamed grain. I'm not sure what the point of all this is except that I have a shade more time on my hands at the office this morning. I'll hush now. http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 6;t=000001 Grant
Grant Young
4X4 Bull

Postby bowdoc » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:53 pm

looks more to me like Fred signed it once and then Sherley or Frank signed it.....Fred printed his name until the Fred Bear signuture line came along sometime in the late 1970's early 80's hummmmmmmmmmm bd
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:03 am

This may help everyone understand exactly the bow being discussed.

A photograph of the 1993 Pat Marino print "The Gentle Woodsman", which includes the image of Fred's T/D...
Attachments
Fred Bear's TD.jpg
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:09 am

For comparison

Another TD that Fred signed 15 years after 1972, to John Grumley...
Attachments
Fred Bear TD Signed to John Grumley.jpg
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby lure100 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:22 pm

anyone have fred bears A handle take down or know the serial # of the bow he hunted with? beautiful bows Wade!!
lure100
Spike Bull

Postby DarbyGloss » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:54 am

Wade Phillips wrote:Doc - Sounds like a good plan. You and Hink could meet here first then we could head up to the Museum.

It may take me a couple months of preparation for you guys, to make sure everything is nailed down securely. I've been looking at a new detector for the door that picks up wood and leather as well as metal... :rolf:

It seems installing a metal detector for the door is a good way for security.
DarbyGloss
Spike Bull

Previous

Return to History of Archery