Let's do some bear coins

Created for the History of Archery. A place for collectors, enthusiast, onlookers, and answers.

Re: Let's do some bear coins

Postby seboomook » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Hoof
Could you put up a closeup pic of the brass coin in your K special?
I'm lifting the pics from this thread for a separate folder
Thanks, Brad
seboomook
4X4 Bull

Postby Hoof » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:57 pm

seboomook wrote:Hoof
Could you put up a closeup pic of the brass coin in your K special?
I'm lifting the pics from this thread for a separate folder
Thanks, Brad

Would be happy to Brad, I dont have the exposure to the number of bows most of you have seen. But it dosent look like copper to me, it has a more golden tone to it and not the reddish I've seen on the others? I'm open to more expert opinion's too If anybody want's to contribute their's.... ;) Hope this help's

Close-up right after I cleaned most the tarnish off, it was cold black when I got it. ( Didn't think to take a picture of it then?)
Two different views at diffent distances.
Pic of another KS I had restored and clean-up.
Hoof
Raghorn Bull

Postby seboomook » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:05 pm

Thanks, thats a good picture.
It does have a "brassy" look compared to the nickel, and it's definitely not copper.

Edit: After looking at your before and after pic, I am unsure of the assumption of copper on my 59-60 bows.
And Wade has already tried to teach us not to "assume"
seboomook
4X4 Bull

Postby Hoof » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:22 pm

I just posted the pic from another Kodiak Special that is a copper coin no question just for comparison. like I said it was only my unknowledgable opinion, but side by side it doesent look the same.
Your right Wade would have some very valuable input on it, this bow is my Golden Rosewood bow I mentioned to Wade sometime back about the black trim that I hadnt seen before. Maybe I can pull the coin and take it to a Jewelry store and let them inspect it see what they say?
Hoof
Raghorn Bull

Postby seboomook » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:39 pm

It is interesting to see what they looked like new. But personally I think the aged patina looks just as good.
I wouldnt pull it just to check the type metal, There might be a non destructive test they can do. Or maybe an expert eye could tell.
seboomook
4X4 Bull

Postby Dan in MI » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:31 am

I still think it is copper. It still has that reddish tint. Polished copper doesn't look the same as aged or even slightly aged. Look at brand new pennies versus slightly aged or really aged. Plus the Bear coins may not be 100% copper they may be an alloy.
Dan in MI
4X4 Bull

Postby bowdoc » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:15 am

they all look good to me but to date a Bear bow by the coin ??????? you just never know.bd
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Hoof » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:49 pm

Doc I wasnt really thinking about the bows date really just thought the color looked off and not like my other coins. I've never read the article mention by Brad, but it maybe just an off colored copper I guess. Either way that Golden Rosewood riser is sweet...
Hoof
Raghorn Bull

Postby bowdoc » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:17 am

oh yeah believe it or not bear did change coins somewhere in 1959-ish the coins are all struck the same however they were two different alloy's used.Here's a crappy pic of several of the same year coins but different materials and a different polish used to shine the coins can also cause a little color change.bd
Attachments
coins 009.JPG
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:38 am

Doc -

You have to tell us the story about your coin that is broken in half.

Did someone use a sledge hammer and chisel to remove it from the bow?
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby bowdoc » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:02 am

believe it or not Wade that coin is made out of bondo.The guy made a casting of an original coin in plaster let that harden up and then removed the original coin.He forced bondo into the mold he made let it dry then broke away the plaster leaving the bondo coin behind.He painted it with testers copper color model car paint and yes I broke it digging it out of a 59 KS.Yes I saved it and have the other half somewhere.The main reason I saved it was because that was the first after market coin I ever saw and there was a lesson to be learned from it as well.Slow down a little and enjoy the view rather then going 100 miles an hour all the time.Restoring old bows is like making good wine it takes time don't get in a hurry.....You should have seen the look on my face when that friggen thing broke in half while I was picking at it.Holy smokes I almost crap myself that day.bd
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby bowdoc » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:22 am

here's a little better pic of flat struck coins.bd
Attachments
mocoins 012.JPG
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Missaukee » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:23 am

This is in reference to the pewter coin. I have often wondered what made it black, paint? Oxidation?

Regardless of the cause, the real question is whether or not they were black when they were new. I believe the answer is yes. The best evidence I have found is in the 1961 Bear Video, "The Oldest Game." Chuck Kroll's coin on his 1962 Kodiak Magnum is obviously black, but not all black. I am sure others can attest that the outer ring and edges of the bear are not black, it is more of a wash.
Missaukee
Raghorn Bull

Previous

Return to History of Archery