Broadheads

Created for the History of Archery. A place for collectors, enthusiast, onlookers, and answers.

Broadheads

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:49 am

I found this bunch of broadheads and various points, at a local Archery Shop. Some interesting heads, that I didn't have in the collection already.

018.JPG

These are the ID's, that I came up with. I'm not sure of the Stemmler Deer Slayer ID.
broadhead mix.jpg
Last edited by bowhunterfrompast on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Re: Broadheads

Postby Wade Phillips » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:10 am

Rick - Most of your IDs are pretty accurate.

The Panther IV is actually a Smith Panther IV. There are a set of Loc-On blades that attach the punched out axillary blades. If you don't have a set of Loc-On blades, I have some extras.

Although similar, the head you have identified as a Stemmler Deerslayer, looks like a modern handmade head, not a Stemmler Deerslayer.

The head you have identified as Bear field point, may have been sold by Bear at one point, but was actually patented and sold by another company, in the late 1940s if I remember off the top of my head without checking.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Craig/Fl » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:49 pm

Would you know the history of the trade points, I've made a few different types to hunt with over the years and I'm always interested in learning more about them.
Craig/Fl
4X4 Bull

Postby Trap » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:18 pm

Nice finds there Rick
"There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace." Aldo Leopold
Trap
5X5 Bull

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:38 pm

Wade..thanks for the info, I appreciate any help with ID'ing broadheads.

I do not have a set of Loc-On blades for the Smith Panther IV, thanks.

My search continues for the real identity of the Stemmler, look-a-like, and the field point with the threaded end.

Craig/Fl...I don't know the history of the trade points, picked them up with the others, just because I didn't have them. Would be interesting to know.

Trap...thanks, collecting broadheads is like a box of chocolates, I never know what I'm getting :rolf: But, I am learning.
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 am

Craig - Both of the Trade Points are shown in "Traditional Broadheads 1871-2007 Identification Guide" as two of the over 1,000 actual size broadhead photographs of heads from this period. There are four of the Ellis Trade Points shown o page 37, all were made in the 1990s. Sorry but I do not have any extras of them.

The Silver Tip Trade Point was made in 2000 and an actual size photograph is shown on page 88 of "Traditional Broadheads 1871-2007 Identification Guide".

If you are a collector and you don't own one of these books, contact me. TradRag members can have them for half price.

Would also be interested in one of each of your Trade Points, that you mentioned, if you have any for sale or trade.

Rick - This is a real 1930s Stemmler Deerslayer. As you can see, it is noticeably different than your handmade head.

The Smith Loc-On Blades were sold in small boxes and included a single page of instructions. Will send you a set of Smith Loc-On Blades for your Panther IV. Refresh my memory, you are in Blue Springs?

I'll think of the name of the screw tip field point here shortly, as soon as my brain re-boots.
Attachments
Snow 014.jpg
Snow 015.jpg
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Craig...I believe he had a few more of the trade points, I will check it out. If you are interested, we could do some trading.

If anyone else is interested in any of the broadheads, I think he had more. I will check on those.

Wade...I knew the head looked different than the Stemmler Deerslayer, mainly because of the pin and materials. Didn't know if it was a newer version (?). Will be interesting to find out what it is.

005.JPG

Stemmler #1208.000 Deerslayer  c. 1936.jpg

Yes, I live in Blue Springs, MO. I will email you my address.
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Postby Trap » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:44 pm

Rick, I'm interested in a couple of those heads

-Fleetwood small game
-Smith Panther IV
-modern hand made head

If you can check to see if they are available I'd appreciate it.

Daryl
"There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace." Aldo Leopold
Trap
5X5 Bull

Postby Craig/Fl » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 pm

Wade, thanks for posting the info on the heads, it's very hard to find any info on trade points, even my traditional bowyers bibles don't discuss them, lots of stone point coverage though. The slotted one looked familiar, I remember seeing some for sale several years back. The only trade points I have are my homemade ones, not much collector value there LOL, but I'd be happy to send you one.
Bowhunterfrompast, I'd be interested in any trade points you may come across, the only thing I have to trade of interest is some of the Bear gray carbon steel screw ins and of course I could also buy them.
Craig/Fl
4X4 Bull

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:52 pm

Craig...I was thinking of tradeing for your handmade points.
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:20 pm

Trap...I called Mike, he will be at the UBM Festival. Will bring his box of traders.
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Craig/Fl wrote:... The only trade points I have are my homemade ones, not much collector value there LOL, but I'd be happy to send you one....

Craig - I just checked my bucket of extra broadheads and found one of the Silver Tip trade heads. It is one that is painted black. Some are a silver color and I see that the one Rick has in the photograph appears to be raw steel. Would be happy to send it to you if you want it. Unfortunately, it is the only extra trade head that I could find. Please PM my your mailing address and I will get it in the mail to you tomorrow.

Thanks so much for the offer to send me one of your homemade trade points. I would enjoy having one. Will PM you my mailing address.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:19 pm

Wade...the Loc-On blades arrived today...Thanks!

These little add-ons are neat, here's a couple pics. They were really easy to put on.

007.JPG

006.JPG
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:35 pm

Raghorn sent me an email with the ID of my mystery point, that I had inaccurately identified as a Bear field point. Thanks Ron!

Last edited by bowhunterfrompast on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Postby footedshaft » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:54 pm

I have that exact pinned homemade looking head that somewhat resembles the Stemmler Deerslayer. Lamont
footedshaft
Spike Bull

Postby Jon Stewart » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:43 pm

Wade. I have been told that I have a couple Stemmler, Red Fox, tanged heads, New York, 1936. Do you have any of those and if so post a photo?

Thanks

Jon
Jon Stewart
Spike Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:49 pm

Lamont - If I remember correctly, our old friend Mike Horton had some the last time I saw him. What am I talking about, old, heck he is younger than we are.

Jon - Three Stemmler Red Fox. Two on right are originally attached to old Stemmler arrows.
Attachments
Stemmler 007.jpg
Last edited by Wade Phillips on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby footedshaft » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:47 pm

Wade, If I remember correctly that is where I got it. I believe he told me it came from a shop in Kansas City. Lamont
footedshaft
Spike Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:53 pm

Rick - This afternoon while looking up dates for the bow fishing reels, I just noticed this Easy-Out listing in the 1951 Bear Catalog, page 9... Understandable why you called it a Bear in your earlier post. I need to find that patent for you. Late 1940s is still stick in my head for the application date.

Did Raghorn give you a date for the advertisement?
Attachments
EASY-OUT.JPG
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:53 pm

Lamont....I got that broadhead from Mike Horton, I don't know anything else about it. I will have to call Mike, and see if I can find out some history.

Wade....I did not get a date with the info.
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Postby raghorn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:16 pm

Jon,
You didn't believe the photo I sent you was a Red Fox?
raghorn
Raghorn Bull

Postby JavelinaHink » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Jon, :?: :o ;) that's 8-) I would of told you I didn't know after you sent me the head, that's if I didn't. But like I said it will go to a scout or some kid starting a collection, Thanks... Hink ;)
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.
JavelinaHink
4X4 Bull

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:37 pm

Just talked to Mike Horton, he found this broadhead in a box of others, that he picked up from Oklahoma. The only thing that he knows, it's homemade.

Unknown bought from Mike Horton.jpg
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:34 am

This Little Shaver 2 blade Sloped Shoulder arrived in the mail today. Rarest of all the Little Shavers. The shoulder begginning to slope upward immediately at the edge of the ferrule easily identifies it.

This is one of the earliest replaceable blade heads that accepted a full size single edge injector blade. The outside shape of these razor blades was consistent between various manufcturers; however, the cut out in the center varied. Razor blades are held into position by friction fit of a slot formed in the broadhead blades. The broadheads are laminated together from identical pieces of metal and each finished blade consists of two layers of metal. Parts were spot-welded and the finish is generally a deep black. The circular cut out in the center of the broadhead blades provides a space for fingers to grasp the razor blades during installation and removal.

All of the above information was taken from "Broadheads 1871 - 1971" by Wade Phillips.

Last edited by bowhunterfrompast on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:55 am

Rick - Years ago, the Sloped Shoulder Little Shaver was a rare head, but has become more common in recent years.

The 2-blade .55" Sq Back model is far more common and is easliy recognized from the Sloped Shoulder model.

A couple of years ago, Bill Hinkley discovered that there are actaully two different Sq Back models. The one listed as ABCC #0790.000 is 100gr without razor blades and is made from .013" thick metal. There is also another model made from .018" thick metal that weights 136 gr without razor blades.

Thought you and others would want to know to keep you eyes open for the heavier weight model. If you check the ones you have, you may discovered you have both weights.

After Bill's discovery, I found both weights in my trader box, and did not even realize they were there.

We need more guys checking these old heads and discovering these differences in weight, length, width, etc.

Every year there are more old heads discovered that were under our noses for years, and none of us were paying close enough attention to realize they were in existence before.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:35 pm

Wade...appreciate the info, and I thought, I had all the Little Shavers. All three of my #0790.000, weigh 100gr, and the search goes on :D .
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:23 am

Rick - Looked through my extra Little Shavers and only had 100 gr.

If you are collecting broadheads, the search will go on for the rest of your life...

Here are two extra Ben Pearson 6x7 Skeleton Ferrule Broadheads stamped PATENT PENDING on their original 1938 Ben Pearson Arrows that I discovered this evening in an old Ben Pearson arrow box. Bottom head is in better condition and bottom arrow has near perfect feathers. Arrows have self nock with fiber insert and the normal 1939-1939 Ben Pearson cresting.

Haven't tried to clean them up at all.
Attachments
BP 6x7 Aro 002.jpg
BP 6x7 Aro 003.jpg
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Trap » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:55 am

Very Cool, Trap
Trap
5X5 Bull

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:13 am

Wade Phillips wrote:Rick - Looked through my extra Little Shavers and only had 100 gr.

If you are collecting broadheads, the search will go on for the rest of your life...

Here are two extra Ben Pearson 6x7 Skeleton Ferrule Broadheads stamped PATENT PENDING on their original 1938 Ben Pearson Arrows that I discovered this evening in an old Ben Pearson arrow box. Bottom head is in better condition and bottom arrow has near perfect feathers. Arrows have self nock with fiber insert and the normal 1939-1939 Ben Pearson cresting.

Haven't tried to clean them up at all.

Those would be a great addition, in any collection, especially the near perfect conditioned arrow and head :o .
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Postby bowhunterfrompast » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:53 pm

I received a surprise in the mail last week :D Thanks Ron.

From left to right:
Black Copperhead Ripper 3 Notch 1965
2 Ultra Accurate Arrow Tip small game blunts
Ultra Accurate Arrow Tip small game broadhead "The Bird Hammer"
Magnum II 1976
016.JPG

Top - Ben Pearson arrow with a 1947 Ben Pearson 4x4 barbed broadhead.
Bot - 1980 Shear Advantage arrow/broadhead.
013.JPG
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!
bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Next

Return to History of Archery