Possible "One of a Kind Pre-1966 Bear Items"

Created for the History of Archery. A place for collectors, enthusiast, onlookers, and answers.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull
Possible "One of a Kind Pre-1966 Bear Items"

Post by Wade Phillips » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:25 am

Trap wrote:Just a suggestion....How about one of you guys start a thread showcasing possible "One of a Kinds"...

I'm amazed that things just keep popping up. What's next?

Trap
Trap came up with a great idea to start this thread..., We have changed it a bit....

Post any Pre-1966 Bear Item that you believe may be a One of a Kind, regardless of when it was found.

Be sure to post the date you acquired it...

For all 2010 One of a Kind finds, I will re-post them in this first post to keep them at the top.

Guess since I may have acquired the first possible one of a kind Bear item in 2010, I'll start off...

Found January 2010 - 56" Maple Sight Window (MSW) 1959 Kodiak, "The Little Rascal"

There are several 60" and 64" MSW known, but this is the first 56" I have seen in captivity.

2010 One of a Kind finds...

January - 56" Maple Sight Window (MSW) 1959 Kodiak

February - Hink's Bear Pocket quiver with the "Indian in Canoe" imprint
Attachments
Bought January 2010 - 56" Maple Sight Window (MSW) 1959 Kodiak, "The Little Rascal"
Bought January 2010 - 56" Maple Sight Window (MSW) 1959 Kodiak, "The Little Rascal"
Bought February 2010 by Hink - Bear Pocket quiver with the "Indian in Canoe" imprint.
Bought February 2010 by Hink - Bear Pocket quiver with the "Indian in Canoe" imprint.
Last edited by Wade Phillips on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

John D Kabisa
5X5 Bull

Re: Possible "One of a Kind Vintage Bear Items" Found in 2010

Post by John D Kabisa » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:38 am

This should be a fun thread,seeing some oddball Bear items.We may come to find out that some of the items aren't really one of a kind if a couple people post pics of similar items.I've got a few neat one of a kinds(hopefully) that I will post pics of as soon as possible.Some have already been seen in other threads but it will be nice to have all these unique items(from everyone) under one post.
I guess I will start out with some pics of my little 1963 Type I Kodiak Magnum experimental "take-apart" bow.This bow.along with a few others from R&D,came from a former Bear employee.I aquired them a few years ago.
dogleg together.JPG
dogleg apart shelf.JPG
dogleg apart coin.JPG
Last edited by John D Kabisa on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John D Kabisa
5X5 Bull

Re: Possible "One of a Kind Pre-1966 Bear Items"

Post by John D Kabisa » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:46 pm

Here's a liitle item I always found interesting.It's a scabbard quiver like most other early Bear scabbard quivers but it's got a green colored piece of leather and a green colored rubber gripper mount.The piece of leather has the running bear logo stamped into it like most others.At first I thought someone just painted the leather green after the fact but the stitching is not green so it was put on there like that.I thought maybe it was just a piece of some left over green leather from some other Bear item but I am not familiar with any other green colored leather items from Bear.Wonder what the story is on this one.
Green scabbard quiver II.JPG
Green scabbard quiver I.JPG

Dan in MI
4X4 Bull

Post by Dan in MI » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:41 pm

That 63 K-Mag look s pretty cool

John D Kabisa
5X5 Bull

Post by John D Kabisa » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:11 am

Dan- Ya that is a pretty cool bow.I believe it was one of the earlier attempts at what eventually became the three-piece take-down that we are all familiar with that has the latches.Inside the joint it's marked Groves Pat.pend.

Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Wade Phillips » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:44 pm

The 1955 Experimental Pinned Bear Razorhead is regarded by collectors as one the Top Ten All Time Collectible Broadheads.

This is the only Un-Pinned Ferrule, Pinned Bear Razorhead that I am aware of in existence.

Other Pinned Bears have a deep punch mark below the tip of the ferrule that helps secure the ferrule to the blade.

This head was undoubtedly made like this intentionally.

I acquired this head about 15 years ago through the son of one of the most recognizable names ever associated with Bear Archery.

Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Wade Phillips » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:52 pm

This is a factory original Bear Northwoods Hair-On Steerhide in excellent condition. It has a little fancier top than the standard Northwoods, but has the same back panel, straps, zipper, broadhead pockets, and boar bristles as the standard mid 1940s Northwoods. This is the only Hair-on Steerhide that I have ever seen or heard of in existence.

I've seen a couple of Hair-On Deerhide Northwoods too. But because at least two of the Deerhide are known, they don't quality as a one of a kind. I got this one from John Grumley. It was owned by the same fellow who had the Snake Skin Back Deerslayer T/D, which come to think of it now, would also be a one of a kind known.
Attachments
Quiver 007.jpg

TimberlineX
Raghorn Bull

Post by TimberlineX » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:45 am

Wade, Trap and others,

Have you ever seen a Bear Kodiak K-4 with BLACK glass on the belly and back of the limbs?

The bow is marked K-4, 55# and 12886. It's right hand with the typical static tips and measures approximately 61 inches tip to tip unstrung. The limbs are approximately 1.25 inches wide at the fadeout. There are no decals of any sort. Well-worn leather grip. Bowquiver insert. It appears to be 1952 to 1953 vintage, although the BLACK limb glass seems a mystery.

So, a BLACK Knight K4? Explanations?
If A is success in life, then A equals X plus Y plus Z. Family is X. Work in Y. And Z is bowhunting elk.

Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Wade Phillips » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:21 am

Bill - I have a 1952 Static Kodiak K-4 with the normal blond glass on the belly, but 1955/1956 dark brown glass on the back. Have also seen another one with 1955/1956 glass of another color that had me stumped until I acquired mine several years ago. Yours would be the third that I have heard of with 1955/1956 glass if that is what it has, on at least one side.

I believe I have explained my K-4 in an old thread on another site. I know at least one person on this forum has seen my brown glass back K-4 and was totally stumped as to how it happen until I explained.

We'll see if anyone remembers reading the old thread. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Would have to examine your black glass K-4 bow in person to say exactly the same is true for it as mine.

Bill, I'd have to say yours is the only black glass K-4 that I have heard of. Perhaps it is a one of a kind.

TimberlineX
Raghorn Bull

Post by TimberlineX » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:40 am

Wade Phillips wrote:Bill - I have a 1952 Static Kodiak K-4 with the normal blond glass on the belly, but 1955/1956 dark brown glass on the back. Have also seen another one with 1955/1956 glass of another color that had me stumped until I acquired mine several years ago. Yours would be the third that I have heard of with 1955/1956 glass if that is what it has, on at least one side.

I believe I have explained my K-4 in an old thread on another site. I know at least one person on this forum has seen my brown glass back K-4 and was totally stumped as to how it happen until I explained.

We'll see if anyone remembers reading the old thread. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Would have to examine your black glass K-4 bow in person to say exactly the same is true for it as mine.

Bill, I'd have to say yours is the only black glass K-4 that I have heard of. Perhaps it is a one of a kind.
Wade,

I'll photograph the bow and will post here with those photos shortly.

I'm also eager to hear your explanation of your strange-glass 1952/1956 K4.

So much to learn...
If A is success in life, then A equals X plus Y plus Z. Family is X. Work in Y. And Z is bowhunting elk.

John D Kabisa
5X5 Bull

Post by John D Kabisa » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:21 am

Here is another possible one-of-a-kind.It's a 1958 Kodiak,LH marked 50#@ 29" and 62".I don't believe any Kodiak was ever offered in 62" other than the early static tip K-2.This bow also has a tennis racket grip on it with the strip of leather being wrapped around the handle like a tennis racket.Oddly enough,years ago I had aquired a 56" 1958 Kodiak from a former Bear employee and it too had the same type grip wrapping on it.Unfortunately I sold the bow and the new owner removed the grip not thinking it was original which I thought too,and he re-wrapped the grip with a more original looking wrap.I did get the bow back from him long before I aquired this one.Wish now he had left the "original"tennis racket grip on that 56" er.Would have matched this one.
One other odd thing about this bow and my 56" er is that neither of them has the dark laminate strip running through the riser as most other 58 Kodiaks have.I don't have another 58 Kodiak to post a picture of for comparison but I thought that was interesting too.Kind of bland looking without it.
58 Kodiak serial number.JPG
58 Kodiak white glass decal.JPG
58 Kodiak shelf.JPG
58 Kodiak other side.JPG

Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Wade Phillips » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:26 am

Bill -

You may be able to figure this one out for your yourself. Think outside the box.

1952 K-4 with Brown glass back and Blond glass belly.

John - You can't tell him because I already told you...
Attachments
K-4 002.jpg
K-4 003.jpg

Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Wade Phillips » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:36 am

John - Is it just the angle of your photographs or is the riser an in-between a 1957 and 1958. Looks too long to be either a 57 tapered belly or a 58 sow belly.

What does the entire profile look like, a cured mid-limb 57 or straight mid limb 58?

Without the dark riser trim lamiantion, it looks strange.

This is not the bow you had the first time I visited your home, is it?

Must have been the other one you mentioned.

TimberlineX
Raghorn Bull

Post by TimberlineX » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:14 pm

Wade Phillips wrote:Bill -

You may be able to figure this one out for your yourself. Think outside the box.

John - You can't tell him because I already told you...
I'm traveling and don't have the bow in hand today. But I have thought about Fred's scrounger mentality (from time to time Bear Archery did simply use the materials at hand). I thought about paint over the glass (doesn't look like it, as I remember). I thought about a repair job (unlikely). I thought about a lunch-box special (possible). I thought about a prototype (also possible). I thought about a special order (maybe). I thought about the glass color changing with age (but to black?). I thought about someone at Bear making up a bow in about 1956 on a 1953 form for whatever reason (stranger things happened at Bear). I thought about...hell I got a headache, put the bow in a closet and forget about it for about five years.

John D Kabisa
5X5 Bull

Post by John D Kabisa » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:30 pm

Wade- I'm not sure how I would describe the riser of this bow.It does look rather large but similar in shape to the 56" 1958 Kodiak pictured.For comparison,the 62" 1958 Kodiak is on the top in the pictures,a 60"1957 Kodiak is center,and the 56" 1958 Kodiak is on the bottom.The 56" Kodiak is the one you most likely saw here at my house.I just got the 62" Kodiak not too long ago.They do look rather dull without the dark accent stripe.
58 Kodiak all three other side.JPG
58 Kodiak all three shelf side.JPG

Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Wade Phillips » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Bill - The brown glass back 1952 K-4 had the back glass replaced in 1956. Slightly visiable is the eveidence in the seam between the limb lamination and the brown glass. Real proof is the 1956 silk screen and the replacement leather grip is a 1956 Kodiak leather grip...

The fellow was a friend of Fred's. Not sure that type of repair would have been done for just anyone as it was probably less work to give them a new bow.

Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Wade Phillips » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:42 pm

John - The profile of the limbs look more like a 1957 than a 1958. You will have to bring those bows to Compton for us to look over and compare to standard 1958s. They definitely look different without the accent trim. Cool bows.

TimberlineX
Raghorn Bull

Post by TimberlineX » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:58 pm

Wade Phillips wrote:Bill - The brown glass back 1952 K-4 had the back glass replaced in 1956. Slightly visiable is the eveidence in the seam between the limb lamination and the brown glass. Real proof is the 1956 silk screen and the replacement leather grip is a 1956 Kodiak leather grip...The fellow was a friend of Fred's. Not sure that type of repair would have been done for just anyone as it was probably less work to give them a new bow.
"Hmmmmm, elementary," said Watson, "Now that you point out all the clues."

However, my bow has black glass on both the back and the belly and, I think, through the riser seam. Gotta get home and photograph that bow from end to end for you Bear sleuths.

Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Wade Phillips » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:20 pm

Bill - Hey, every question is easy when you know the answer.

It took me quite awhile to figure it out with the bow in my hand. After I figured it out, I talked to the surviving son of the owner and found about about his dad and Fred being friends.

Will be interesting to see what the grip and Bear Logos are on your black glass K-4.

TimberlineX
Raghorn Bull

Post by TimberlineX » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:06 pm

Ok, here we go…..the maybe one-of-a-kind Bear K-4 “Black Knight.”

As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, I have in my collection a most unusual Bear Archery K-4 bow. It’s right handed, features the typical static limb tips and is marked K-4, 55# and 12886. Unfortunately, no decals or silk screens of any kind exist on this bow. At first glance, the bow appears to be from the 1952 to 1953 era. The extraordinary thing, however, is that it has BLACK glass on both its belly and back. I’ve never seen another K-4 like it.

When viewed side-by-side with a 1952 Bear K-4 (left) and a 1953 Bear K4 (middle), it (the bow on the far right) appears quite normal.

In fact, based on the shark-like shape of the rear of the arrow-rest area it would seem to be quite like a 1953 Bear K-4.

But now let’s look at that unusual limb-glass color. As we angle all three bows to the camera, the striking difference in limb-glass color emerges. Again, the bow on the left is a 1952 K-4 with its typical blond glass. The middle bow is a 1953 K-4 with its burnt orange limb glass. The bow in question, on the far right, clearly exhibits its unusual black glass on both its belly and back.

Here’s a close-up look at the bow’s static limb tips from both the back and belly sides. Once again the abnormal black glass is clearly evident.

To be as descriptive as possible, I will add that the limb glass on this bow appears to be what I would call near-black. In very bright light it almost appears to have a deep, dark olive hue to it. That black glass goes right down through the riser.

The bow is equipped with a period-correct bowquiver bushing and everything seems to have been well used all those years ago. The worn leather grip and leather rest pad appear to be original.

The other interesting comparison I wanted to make was to contrast the black limb glass on this odd K-4 (the top bow shown in the photo below) with the brown limb glass on a 1955 Bear Kodiak (the 2nd bow down from the top), a 1956 Bear Kodiak (the 3rd bow down from the top) and a 1957 Bear Kodiak (the bottom bow in this photo).

Admittedly, trying to photograph bows to show differences in limb-glass color is a tricky deal. Angles and different light can appear to alter colors, as can the computer screen on which the images are viewed. But rest assured that there is a significant difference between the olive-hued black glass on this strange K-4 and the reddish-hued dark brown glass of even the 1957 Kodiak. In person that color difference is quite apparent.

So, what do we have here? Any guesses or information on what this bow is or how it came about?

It appears to me that we have a mystery.

Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Wade Phillips » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:20 pm

Bill - Great photographs as always.

Wow - That 1952 is a great looking bow, that grip is in great shape. Glass looks perfect... ;)

My first thought in seeing the "Black Knight" was like you mentioned, that it looks like the grip shape on many 1953 Kodiaks.

The leather looks original 1953 shape too and is well worn like it was original to the bow.

Do you think the serial number and lettering is original? From what I can see it is certainly looks like the Bear lettering.

Any trace of evidence that any of the three water transfer decals were ever on the black glass?

TimberlineX
Raghorn Bull

Post by TimberlineX » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:27 am

Wade – Here’s a shot of the serial numbers and lettering on the 1952 K-4 (left), 1953 K-4 (middle) and the K-4 with black glass (right). The writing does appear quite consistent across all three bows.

I can find no definitive indications of decals having once been present on the black-glass bow. That doesn’t mean they weren’t there once. It just means I can’t find clear signs of that existence. There is one extremely faint indication that a small decal of some sort MAY have existed approximately 4 inches below the bottom of the leather grip on the back side of the lower limb. That is the area where the “Pat Applied For” decal was typically applied on earlier bows. However, the mark on this bow (see the photo below) is horizontal across the limb and not vertical as is the usual case with that decal. That seems odd…but then again so does black glass. Who knows?

So where does that leave us. Any guesses on this most unusual K-4?

seboomook
4X4 Bull

Post by seboomook » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:13 am

Reading Matt Dickersons writeup on Kodiaks describes the static tips through '53 (all lengths) as "numbered in one series up to about 30,000".
Is this reliable for dating? And does this number range fit the years in your collections? If so, it seems the "black Knight" falls into the 1953 range.
My '50 and '51 are in the under 2000, 2 1952's @ high 7000, and a '53 1n 14000 range
Brad

wadde
4X4 Bull

Post by wadde » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:36 pm

How about a vintage Bear pencil and score card holder? I had a dealer card with a dozen of these on it and gave most away to buddys at the archery club. Might have sold the card and remaining few on ebay years ago. Kept one for myself. Leather, attaches to your belt, has calf hair leather on front and pocket for pencil and clip for score card. Marked: Bear on the front.
Attachments
SANY4245.JPG

John D Kabisa
5X5 Bull

Post by John D Kabisa » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:40 pm

Here's another one of my favorite possible one-of-a-kind Bear Archery items.I aquired this one in a trade many years ago.It is still in it's original box,unused.Guess what it is?Wade,no help from you,as I believe you already know.
B&W Nimrod box.jpg

John D Kabisa
5X5 Bull

Post by John D Kabisa » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:48 pm

Alright,here's a picture of it outside the box.It's a black & white Nimrod quiver.So far I have yet to see another one of these.Very unique looking but not sure I like it as much as the brown &tan or maroon & tan colored Nimrods.Not quite sure what this one would be used for either.Hunting? Target?Another Bear oddball for sure.
B&W Nimrod Quiver front with box.jpg
Here's the back.
B&W Nimrod Quiver back.jpg
As you can see the quiver is pretty much in unused condition.The fellow I got it from said he asked Frank Scott about it and he remembered when they made it but I don't know the history behind it.Wish ol' Frank was still around to ask.
B&W Nimrod Quiver inside.jpg
Has all the features of a standard Nimrod,even the running bear logo.
B&W Nimrod Quiver logo.jpg

John D Kabisa
5X5 Bull

Post by John D Kabisa » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:28 am

I am really enjoying this thread and hoped there would be some more posts on here,but since there haven't been any lately I figured I would post up again.And since I'm in quiver mode,I will add this one.It's a 1955 Rover center of the back quiver.It has a suede pouch on the front with a snap closure just as shown on page 13 of the 1955 Bear catalog(see pic).After 1955,the Rover grew a zippered pouch in place of the suede snap pouch,as shown in the picture from the 1956 Bear catalog.
Wade has seen this quiver and we both agreed it has got to be one of the ugliest,plain-Jane quivers Bear ever made.Probably why they changed it the following year and probably why no others have been seen as of yet.
Here's the quiver:
Rover Quiver.jpg
Here is a scan of page 13 of the 1955 Bear catalog showing the new Rover:
Rover Quiver 1955 catalog.jpg
And here is a scan of the Rover in the 1956 Bear catalog:
Rover Quiver 1956 catalog.jpg

John D Kabisa
5X5 Bull

Post by John D Kabisa » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:16 am

Bill, The black glass on your Kodiak and the way you describe it reminds me of a Grizzly I once owned.Probably from around 1956 or 1957 if I remember correctly.It was one of my very first Bear bows I ever got when I started collecting many years ago.I have seen other Grizzlys with this same color glass also that when held in the light the glass appeared to have a greenish color to it.I don't currently have any Grizzly's with the black glass to compare.

John D Kabisa
5X5 Bull

Post by John D Kabisa » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:48 am

Here's another odd-ball one-of-a-kind pre ' 66 Bear bow.This bow has a glass color inconsistent with what is normally found on one for this year,similar to Bill's Kodiak.The bow is a 1959 Grizzly.It has most all of the features normally found on a '59 Grizzly.The double chevron below the grip,rosewood sight window,black and white micata tip overlays,62" length,pea green glass on the back.But then you look at the belly glass and it's not the normal burnt orange color as found on most other '59 or '60 Grizzly's and Kodiak's but a light tan color glass.The bow also has no coin which is odd but I have seen other '59 Bear bows with no coin.Wonder why the tan glass and not the usual burnt orange.
Alright,I'm just about running out of my one-of-a-kind pre '66 Bear stuff.Somebody(Wade) dig through your stuff and start posting some pics.Anybody??
59 Grizzly riser shelf side.JPG
59 Grizzly riser other side.jpg
59 Grizzly riser front.JPG
59 Grizzly serial number.JPG
59 Grizzly patent decal.jpg
59 Grizzly sight window.jpg

Stickbow98
4X4 Bull

Post by Stickbow98 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:11 pm

Possibly not "Pre-66" (I'm not sure of when the actual photo was taken) but it definetly is a "One of a Kind".

A still from a scene in the Fred Bear Film "The Good Earth", was later used as the cover photo for the 1978 Catalog cover:

I have the original 8"x10" Color negative of this photo. Shown here (cropped) for detail, it is difficult to photograph well.

Perhaps someone w/better eyes than me can tell by Fred's bow, what year the pic might have been taken.

>>--Ron--<>