Your non-Bear collecting habits

Created for the History of Archery. A place for collectors, enthusiast, onlookers, and answers.
Seneca Archer
5X5 Bull
Your non-Bear collecting habits

Post by Seneca Archer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:56 am

Collecting old archery stuff is a fun and fascinating hobby. I've been looking at mine lately and considering de-emphasing the Bear Archery aspect in favor of a more eclectic approach. Like say having a couple top line bows from several of the well known and lesser known archery manufacturers. Or perhaps concentrating on another manufaturer/bowyer. For instance old Damon Howatt, Drake or Root bows in particular I find particularly intriguing.

Do any of you collect any specific non-Bear items? If so what & why?

Jim U

kurtbel5
5X5 Bull

Re: Your non-Bear collecting habits

Post by kurtbel5 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:37 am

I have 2 Barr Apaches, a Sky, 2 Abbott's, 2 Quinn's, a Shakespeare, 2 Pearson's, a Hoyt, and a Darton to go with the Bear's

So I guess I have started an eclectic collection already, or you could call it confused instead of eclectic

I'd like to find a Saunders Swift at some point, or a Howatt, Drake, Smithwick, Root....

It might be faster to list ones I don't want lol

As to why?? cause they are all eye candy to me.

seboomook
4X4 Bull

Post by seboomook » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:04 am

I think the Howatts would be worth collecting as a sideline. My Hi-Speed and Hunter are absolute hammers.
I like the riser shapes and wood grain as well. But then it's back to the Bears, still have "holes" to fill......

Seneca Archer
5X5 Bull

Post by Seneca Archer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:30 am

KB5 - I guess there's probably a fine line between "eclectic" and "confused" ;) --some would look at my collection now and certainly call it confused or unfocused, but I like what I like and who knows what will catch ,my eye tomorrow. saw one of your Barr Apaches on another thread and will admit it's an eye catcher enough to me to probably try to snag one if I ever see a lefty somewhere available.

Sebo -- yeah Howatts are eye catchers. Just got a vintage Howatt 36lb 66" late last year, I believe it's mid-60's or earlier, but I really like it's looks and shooting characteristics. Put one of Trap's feather rests on it and have been shooting it w/ Microflites for our winter 450 league and doing pretty well.
seboomook wrote:But then it's back to the Bears, still have "holes" to fill......
---guess that is partly why I'm thinking of deemphasizing Bear in my own collecting, there's always holes to fill. Plus lately prices have been a bit higher for Bear stuff than I personally want to pay.

Yule

reddogge
4X4 Bull

Post by reddogge » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:36 am

Yep, all of these gems reside in my collection:
Tice & Watts Spartan Hunter MkI 50#
Shakespeare Wonderbow HC300 50#
Browning Spartan 30#
Damon Howatt Super Diablo 50#
Hoyt Pro Hunter 50#

I have designs on a few more.

TimberlineX
Raghorn Bull

Post by TimberlineX » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:19 am

I’ve often thought about the old Wilson Brothers Black Widow bows. They’re neat. Or all of the top-end target recurves from 1960 to, say, 1970. That would be fascinating and pretty darn wild at times. The Ben Pearson bows from the 1940s to about 1966 don’t ever seem to get their due. Lots of fine and facinating bows from Ben Pearson.

The other weird thing I’ve thought about is Bowquivers from the earliest days to about the mid-1960s. Lots of interesting and sometimes odd bowquiver designs in that period, and it would be a nifty way to display all those old and colorful cedar and fiberglass arrows. Bowquivers would be cool.

Bill Krenz
Colorado
If A is success in life, then A equals X plus Y plus Z. Family is X. Work in Y. And Z is bowhunting elk.

Seneca Archer
5X5 Bull

Post by Seneca Archer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:02 pm

TimberlineX wrote:The Ben Pearson bows from the 1940s to about 1966 don’t ever seem to get their due. Lots of fine and facinating bows from Ben Pearson.
Bill--I would agree and to add to your thought: --it has always seemed odd to me that that there seems to be such a disparity in popularity of collectibles between Bear and Pearson. Certainly Pearson produced a wide range of bow models and changed designs & wood combinations in top models, probably more so than any other bow manufacturer not named Bear. Certainly it's understandable that Bear bows and equipment represent the pinnacle of collectibles, but I would think BP bows would have a solid following that I have just not seen in my years perusing the various traditional archery sites......

Jim U.

manybows
4X4 Bull

Post by manybows » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:13 am

I have a fondness for American semi longbows that are all bamboo no glass, in this photo top right is a John Schulz Split bamboo american longbow, next is a David Miller Split bamboo, last is a Nate Steen glass backed bamboo. I just aquired the Schulz Natural this week and consider myself lucky tp indeed, this bow was made in 1996 and has to be one of the last few he made. John had severe allergys to yew and other woods and had to stop making longbows, he was taught by Howard Hill and his bows are hard to come by and this ones a dandy shooter ib great condition. David Miller was a student of Johns Schulz and it shows his bows are also very well made and his split bamboo is a real work of art.
Attachments
Schulz, Miller, Steen 001.jpg

Craig/Fl
4X4 Bull

Post by Craig/Fl » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:44 am

Nice looking collection manybows, when it comes to longbows I too prefer the all wood ones, I'll bet they are great shooters as well.

Seneca Archer
5X5 Bull

Post by Seneca Archer » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:12 am

Manybows- That's a fine looking trio of classic American-styled longbows!

droptine59
Raghorn Bull

Post by droptine59 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:49 am

Big time on Howatt, Wing, Bear, Drake, York Constellations,/Imperials, Jack Howard , and Harold Groves.
Still love my Bear's but the comptetition is too fierce. For me, it's More fun acquiring the other stuff.

I also collect Gibson Les Paul and SG guitars

manybows
4X4 Bull

Post by manybows » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:13 pm

Heres a photo of another Schulz longbow I have coming it a grandpa model all bamboo no glass its 64" long and 56lbs.
Attachments
Schulz american longbow all bamboo
Schulz american longbow all bamboo

ishi123archer
Spike Bull

Post by ishi123archer » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:03 pm

I have to admit I love the old Bears and have many, but I collect almost anything that is vintage archery from quivers, bows, broadheads, catalogs, books and magazines. I love it all !! Scott

John D Kabisa
5X5 Bull

Post by John D Kabisa » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:17 pm

Although I do prefer to collect the old Bear stuff,every once in awhile I'll come across another makers bow that I find interesting.One in particular were the bows made by a fellow from Ohio named Emil Pikula.Emil was an old timer from back in the day.Not too long after I started collecting many years ago,I came across one of Emil's bows on e-bay.I had never heard of him at the time,heck I hardly knew who Fred Bear was back then.But when I saw the bow Ifound it very interesting and unique.I ended up getting the bow and actually did some searching and got to talk to Emil on the phone.He was pretty old at the time but very gracious to accept my phone call.We talked briefly and I described the bow I had that he had made.He told me some information about it and said I better hang onto it 'cuz he didn't make very many of them as he chuckled.
Well over the years I ended up getting rid of that bow to a friend that took an interest in it.I was leaning toward Bear bows pretty heavy by then and decided to let it go,but after seeing a couple of Emil's bows the last couple years at the Kalamazoo Expo here in Michigan I started kind of regretting getting rid of that bow.Kinda brought me back to my beginning days of collecting.I figured if I ever had a chance to pick up another one of Emil's bows that I would.Well to make a long story short,I recently came across one of Emil's bows again on e-bay.The description was vague but I could tell by the pictures it was one of Emil's bows so I bid on it and got lucky enough to win it.I just received it in the mail and thought I would post some pics for others in case anyone isn't familiar with his bows.They have a very unique look to them with a forward riser.The limbs are straight like a longbow and very narrow with fine little tips.
Maybe not the most collectible bow in the world,but after getting to talk with Emil himself many years ago and finding a replacement for the one I got rid of,to me this bow is priceless.I'll try to hang onto this one Emil.
Emil Pikula bow riser shelf other.JPG
Emil Pikula bow riser other.JPG
Emil Pikula bow riser and limb.JPG
Emil Pikula bow limb tip.JPG
Emil Pikula bow writing.JPG

reddogge
4X4 Bull

Post by reddogge » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:33 pm

Neat story John and quite a unique bow. That's kind of how I wound up with two Tice and Watts bows. My friend had one in the late 60s/early 70s and I admired it. I found one last year and a camo version a couple of weeks ago.

John D Kabisa
5X5 Bull

Post by John D Kabisa » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:41 pm

Thanks reddogge.Yup,those Pikula bows were definitely different and for me bring me back a fun time when I first started down this collecting path I've been on for over 15 years now.I've come across Emil's name in some old paperwork from some early archery tournaments back as far as the 1930's and 40's.Wish I could have spent more time chatting with him but I was so green I had no idea what to talk about with him other than the bow I had of his at the time.But as I said,he couldn't have been nicer to a stranger calling him to talk about old archery stuff.I wonder if he's still around.
I'll have to look into those Tice and Watts bows you mentioned.I've heard of them but never saw any that I can remember.

Seneca Archer
5X5 Bull

Post by Seneca Archer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:11 am

John,
That's a really unique, cool looking bow. Great story too. I think maybe if I ever see a Pikula lefty I might try to grab it.
Locally here in SW PA there was a bowyer named Ed Yakima whose "Yaki" bows were very popular in these parts. I know of a couple lefties, but neither guy is willing to part w/ them...a lefty Yaki is definitely on my "most wanted" list... :)

Jim

John D Kabisa
5X5 Bull

Post by John D Kabisa » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:11 am

Jim- That sounds like a good bow to go after for you.If I ever see one I'll send it your way.

reddogge
4X4 Bull

Post by reddogge » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:39 pm

John,
Check out Rich's site. We have a thread going on Tice and Watts now and two of Lovell Tice's daughters have chimed in. Pretty neat stuff on a not too well known bow manufacturer.

John D Kabisa
5X5 Bull

Post by John D Kabisa » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Reddogge- I will check that out.Thanks for the info.
John