Happy Birthday Papa Bear

Created for the History of Archery. A place for collectors, enthusiast, onlookers, and answers.
Trap
5X5 Bull
Happy Birthday Papa Bear

Post by Trap » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:39 am

Happy Birthday Fred Bear.

Thank You Sir for being a lifelong Pioneer for Archery and for all of your wonderful products we've come to love, collect, and shoot.

Your legend lives on, as it should.
fbear01.jpg
Trap
"There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace." Aldo Leopold

seboomook
4X4 Bull

Re: Happy Birthday Papa Bear

Post by seboomook » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:49 am

Well said Trap
His memory and influence lives in us all.

bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by bowdoc » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:53 am

great thinking Trap bd
Attachments
fred3 001.JPG

Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Wade Phillips » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:27 am

Trapl, Wonderful thread...

Happy Birthday Fred Bear

Those of us who were fortunate enough to have met you, we will never forget you and your firm handshake. Many of us still hunt with your vintage tackle, and continue to admire your inventiveness. Those of us who have worked to document your equipment, are appreciate of the opportunity to help preserve many of your personal and historical items for posterity. Those of us who have visited your final resting-place, have those peaceful memories of you that are forever etched in our minds.

Photograph of some of Fred Bear’s personal broadheads and arrows. Included are Fred’s first broadhead 1932, the broadhead he used to take his first deer with in 1935, his oldest known completely intact big game hunting arrow, the arrow he used to kill his fallow deer, a Bear Giant Razorhead that he took on his successful Polar Bear hunt.

This Fred Bear display will at the Nebraska Bowhunters Association Banquet this weekend. It is greatly expanded from the photograph below and now includes Fred’s 1945 Moose Arrow, photographs of all seven of his one-time world record big game animals as well as many other rare Fred Bear items. It’s been an honor and a privilege to have acquired these items, created this display and documented each of these items, and to be able to share the display with others.

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

John D Kabisa
5X5 Bull

Post by John D Kabisa » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:43 am

Happy Birthday Fred from Michigan.Thanks for everything.Here is a picture of the invitation sent out to those who were so fortunate to have been invited to Fred's 80th birthday.The card is signed by Fred on the front.The two leather name tags were given to all who were invited.These two belonged to two of Fred's former employees and friends.Fred would have been 108 years old today.
Fred Bear's birthday card.jpg
Here is a picture of the inside of the card with the menu for the birthday dinner named after some of Fred's famous hunts he went on.The inside of this card was also signed by astronaut Joe Engle who was a friend of Fred's too.
Fred Bear's birthday card inside.jpg
Here's a close-up of the custom made name tags.Fred's famous little stickbowman is there:
Fred Bear's birthday name tag close.JPG
And here's a better picture of that nights dinner menu:
Fred Bear's birthday card inside II.jpg

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:05 am

Happy Birthday!!!

Here are the pictures I keep on my desktop that I have to look at every now and again.
FBear.jpg
FBear4.jpg
Fred Bear 5.JPG
fred bear camp.JPG
Fred Bear deer harvest.JPG
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

bowhunterfrompast
5X5 Bull

Post by bowhunterfrompast » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:59 am

Happy Birthday Fred Bear.
1EABF0B057.jpg
1EABF0B057.jpg (42.94KiB)Viewed 3462 times
Last edited by bowhunterfrompast on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick
Broadhead Collector
Have a great hunt!

Backwoods
4X4 Bull

Post by Backwoods » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:18 am

I knew there was something very special about Fred. We were born 4 days apart.... oh, and 59 years.

Great man and a great thread. We owe a lot of our sport to the Mr. Bear.
64" Red Fox Longbow
53# @ 28"

.54 Cal. Lyman Trade rifle.

Grant Young
4X4 Bull

Post by Grant Young » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:27 am

If I ever meant it, God Bless, and thanks so much Mr. B. Thanks for the posts guys. Great remembrance for a "good man." Grant

TimberlineX
Raghorn Bull

Post by TimberlineX » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:53 am

Happy Birthday Fred!

Your craggy, lined face and example have been a lifelong inspiration.

You would be simply amazed and probably amused to see how your bows, particularly all the old Kodiaks, have endured. Yesterday I received a 1960 Kodiak in the mail, and last evening, in spite of the dark, cold and blowing snow, I just had to shoot it under the lights in the backyard. I thought of you with every arrow, and smiled.

It was a pleasure to have known you, and I apologize again for the time our kids (then little) climbed all over you in the back of the car when we picked you up at the airport. As always, you showed incredible patience. Maybe you should be a bowhunter!

All the best,

Bill Krenz
Colorado
If A is success in life, then A equals X plus Y plus Z. Family is X. Work in Y. And Z is bowhunting elk.

reddogge
4X4 Bull

Post by reddogge » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:52 pm

Happy birthday Mr. Bear. I was honored to have killed my first deer in 1969 using 5 of your products, a '67 Grizzly, Bear Micro-Flight arrows, 8 arrow bow quiver, glove, armguard. I'm sure that would have brought a smile to your face. It did mine.

Stickbow98
4X4 Bull

Post by Stickbow98 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:07 pm

Happy Birthday Fred....
You broke the trails that all of us follow to this day, yet sometimes I wonder if any of us can really gauge the impact you have had on all of our lives?
Your spirit seems to grow stronger in me constantly, and has enriched me in so many ways...from the places I go and people I meet, to the items I collect and history I learn about. Feeling a part of the Fred Bear-inspired families of bowhunter's and collector's is a special place to be, and for that and everything else I will always be thankful....

Happy Hunting,
>>--Ron--<>
Attachments
The Good Earth.jpg

portugeejn
4X4 Bull

Post by portugeejn » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:17 pm

Happy Birthday! Shot an old Bear Grizzly with an old Bear arrow today to celebrate. I am really glad that he was good at what he did. And thanks to all for posting some of my favorite archery pictures.

RonP
Last edited by portugeejn on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4runr
4X4 Bull

Post by 4runr » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:31 pm

Just came up from shooting my Grizzly! Happy Birthday Fred!

Thanks Trap for a very good thread!
Kenny

Showing my "Collector" ignorance, one post at a time.

Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Wade Phillips » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:37 pm

On Fred's birthday, I missed loading this sign that was hijacked at Fred's 100th Birthday Celebration... Being at the Arsenal, sure beats having it tossed in the dumpster...
Attachments
Fred Bears 100 Birthday Celebration Sign.JPG

Grant Young
4X4 Bull

Post by Grant Young » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:46 am

Wade- Good catch. I'm starting to think that the tile of "Happy Scrounger" should be passed to you. Amazing. Grant

Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Wade Phillips » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:01 am

Grant -

I believe that all of us "Crazy Collectors" have some of Glenn's "Happy Scrounger" blood running through our veins.