Havn't flung an arrow since Christmas eve

Created for the History of Archery. A place for collectors, enthusiast, onlookers, and answers.
Simon
Spike Bull
Havn't flung an arrow since Christmas eve

Post by Simon » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:38 pm

And my local range only opens first week-end of May. Winter sucks! I really miss the simple joy of shooting a bow. I pull on them every day ; I just don't let the arrow go. Talk about anticlimax!

Just wanted to share.

Simon

seboomook
4X4 Bull

Re: Havn't flung an arrow since Christmas eve

Post by seboomook » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:36 am

Hang in there Simon, spring is working your way!
Is there enough interest in your area to split cost on a local large hall for an indoor range?
That would surely help shorten the long winter nights up there above the 45 degree mark.

bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by bowdoc » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:55 am

Simon I've been shooting one of those block targets all winter and it works great ??? did I mention I've been shooting it in my kitchen and down my hall ? yes its true.I only shoot about 10 feet across my kitchen and 21 feet down the hall(pratice for Que'bec bears) but what the hell its better then not shooting at all...I'll see you real soon my brother bd

TimberlineX
Raghorn Bull

Post by TimberlineX » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:40 am

I'm with Bowdoc - gotta shoot no matter what! I have a 6-yard "range" set up in my basement home office. Big Morrell bag target that I've been pounding all winter long. A few arrows every day keeps the blues away.
If A is success in life, then A equals X plus Y plus Z. Family is X. Work in Y. And Z is bowhunting elk.

reddogge
4X4 Bull

Post by reddogge » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:51 am

Simon,
I do the same. I have a bag target with a little reading lamp shining on it in the basement workshop and get a 9 yard shot. I also keep a target outside sheltered from the wind and if the snow is not too deep can get a 25 yard shot. I can shoot from my back porch if I can get to the arrows once shot.

bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by bowdoc » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:00 am

Simon quick story sometime back a friend stopped by my place and saw me shooting in the kitchen.I was about 7 feet from the target he asked what I was doing.I told him I call that winter leauge archery helps me keep my form.
Just one other thought about shooting from 7 feet away from your target ? if you can hit a dime sized target every arrow from 7 feet please note every arrow must be in the dime sized target.You can hit a deer at 20 yards every time as well ????? ya gotta love it bd

Simon
Spike Bull

Post by Simon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:19 pm

There are several indoor archery clubs in Montréal. I have been a member for the past 5 years in the one closest to me (15 minute drive) but not this year. The price went up, the lighting went down, the space got smaller and the membership increased. This particular club shares the space with many other activities such as fencing, ping pong, judo and boxing. It's a huge space in the basement of a sport center, built for the 1976 Olympics. It gets so loud in there it's crazy. The boxing guys put their hiphop music, the judo guys scream every time they move, the stomping of the fencers and ping pong people... you get the picture? Plus the air quality is bad. I had no fun anymore so I decided I would not sign up this year.

I much prefer shooting outside, the outdoor range is fantastic. Is dates back to the 76 Olympics as well.

Yes, I could figure out a way to shoot indoors. I have before. The basement would be the only place doable. The ceiling is pretty low though. I need to kneel on one knee and slant a little more than I normally would not to hit the ceiling and the floor. Last year I made a setup down there and shot regularly. I found constantly shooting kneeling it gave me lower back pain.

Anyhow, there is no snow on the ground now and my spirits are up.

Doc. Can't wait to see you again at BQIV in LaTuque. Looking forward in shooting that Mag Takedown as well! I think I'll be there on the first week, one or two nights.

Any body from TradRag hunting bears this year in LaTuque Québec?

S.

reddogge
4X4 Bull

Post by reddogge » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:59 pm

I have to sit on a chair to shoot in the basement but that's not a bad thing. Good practice for ground blind.

Grant Young
4X4 Bull

Post by Grant Young » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:27 pm

Simon- I'll be on BearQuest again this year. I usually go the first week but I opted for the second week this year- a lot going on the first week; full house, film crew, etc. Sorry I'll miss you. I'm bringing a Bear Signature riser with me you would be welcome to try out. One of these years maybe. And don't fret, Spring is just around the corner. Grant

Simon
Spike Bull

Post by Simon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:45 pm

Grant.
You never know, I might be there on the second week. It's really hard to tell 3 months ahead of time. I'll have to figure things out with Tom too. I remember shaking hands with you in that short time at the proshop. I'll bring a few bows, not all of them like I did last year, but a few for sure...

S.

bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by bowdoc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:41 am

the second week is much better bd

Alan H
Raghorn Bull

Post by Alan H » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:28 am

Hang in there Simon. It's going to be really warm hear in Michigan so the weather shouldn't be too bad your way really soon. I’m lucky I have a full basement to shoot year long. It's just a little chillier in the winter months.....Al

VT Surf-N-Turf
5X5 Bull

Post by VT Surf-N-Turf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:35 am

Simon. Hope things have warmed up north of the border. Down here in Vermont all our snow is gone and I'm back outside shooting. For the winter I set up a 9 yard range in my basement just to keep me and the boys from going crazy. But it sure feels good to get back out to 25 yards again.
Traditional Bow Hunting: So easy a caveman can do it!