True Temper steel longbow

Created for the History of Archery. A place for collectors, enthusiast, onlookers, and answers.

True Temper steel longbow

Postby Seneca Archer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:58 pm

I was at the flea market this week when a fellow who knew I was interested in old archery equipment asked me to look at a bow that was given to him years ago by a friend. He'd like some info on the bow's possible year of manufacture. Any help on age would be appreciated. Although professed to not be interested in selling he still was curious as to "value." Confessed to know knowledge of the bow's age and gave him the usual "what someone's willing to pay" value caveat. Unfortunately wasn't carrrying my camera that day.

Anyway the bow is 3 pc., looks to be about 60' assembled. Very mild R/D to the limbs. The two limbs appear to be tapered tubular steel, cut longitudinally to make a "U" shaped limb. The limbs slide into U-shaped slots on either end of the handle. The handle is pretty near circular in cross section and wrapped in cork. Two steel cable strings were served on the loop ends with wrapped leather(like a bootlace). Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

SA
Seneca Archer
5X5 Bull

Re: True Temper steel longbow

Postby Seneca Archer » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:49 pm

Found a web site where a guy claimed to have one circa 1931....any help would be appreciated.
Seneca Archer
5X5 Bull

Postby Pierre » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:23 am

Hi, i'm new here. As I've got an intrest in those metallic bows I think I can give you a few more infos about the true temper.
In 1880, a man named Georges A. badger created a patent for an invention linked to steelbows. His idea was to build a bows which cross setion would be U shaped with the round par of the U being the back of the bow. Badger didn't do anything with the patent and it was soon forgotten. Yet at the beginning of 1926 a business called F&H started building the true temper bows. The bow is short wit slight curves. It's a take down bow. The true temper bow is intresting because it was one of the first bows to be built in a plant and not in a workshop. The bow was intresting because heat or humidity wouldn't change its performances, yet it had some handshok and its cast didn't match the cast of wood bows. A few yers later F&H stopped building the bow.
I own one and it's cast is really poor especially when compared to some of the seefab swedish steel bows, yet, i've shot some wooden bows that had more handshock...
Hope it helps.
"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know."
Capt. Geoffrey T. Spaulding
Pierre
Spike Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Many metal bows in several different configurations were made during the past 130 years.

The True Temper is one of the better known metal bows of the 1920s-30s. It was made along the same lines as the fishing rods of the era with a cork handle and metal body.

The photograph below shows three True Tempers as the #2, #3 & #4 bows. Top is a tubular Seefab from Sweden that Pierre mentioned. The bottom two different models of the tubular steel Apollo bows from England.
Attachments
Metal Bows.jpg
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Pierre » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:37 pm

Seems yo'uve got the seefab tiger; This one is sweet to shoot and Actually with a FF+ string it's not at all ridiculous. I've got thow of themand I like to shoot them now and often. But I also have a longbow made by seefab and it's a beast to shoot. certainly one of the most unconfortable steel bow I was given to shoot.
"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know."
Pierre
Spike Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Pierre -

Yes, the Seefab is the Tiger model. When I got this bow it actually had one of the old stranded steel strings with the heaviest string loops that I have have ever seen on a bow.

Here are a few metal bows at the Arsenal. These all have flat metal limbs rather than the tubular limbs on the bows shown earlier.
Attachments
Metal Bows 003.jpg
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Pierre » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:17 am

And most of these limbs are aluminum whch is far more brittle than steel. In France during the late 40's and 50's we had these bows made from duralumin they are called ideal arc and they were used for target shooting.

By the way the info about the true temper is taken from "target archery" by Robert P. Elmer.
Pierre
Spike Bull

Postby Seneca Archer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:18 am

Wade & Pierre
Thanks for the info.....now if I can just find the guy's phone # to convey the info..... :)
Seneca Archer
5X5 Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:22 am

Pierre -

The bows in the first (top) photograph all have steel limbs.

The bows in the second (bottom) photograph all have aluminum limbs.

I don't recall a metal bow by the name of "Ideal Arc". Was that a bow sold just in your country or just in Europe. Can you post a photograph of one of them?

All of Dr. Elmer's books are very informative. We who are interested in old time archery and old time equipment are very fortunate that he took the time to record so much information from his era.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Pierre » Wed May 11, 2011 4:58 am

Sorry to answer that late. here is an idéal arc, the last one I got.

here it is in its box:

Idéal arc breveté SGDG (patented without warranty from the government, an old type of patent which disapeared in 1968)

C.1668: sérial number
Licence Chariou Chariou was the name of the co-inventor and the builder of the bow
1.70, length of the bow, metric system (67 inches)

Verdin, the other co inventor

the nock

the take down system, following the tradition of the continental longbows

and finally, the bow

These bows were built at the end of the 30's till the end of the 50's when the fiberglass finally overcame these metal bows...
Pierre
Spike Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Wed May 11, 2011 10:31 am

Pierre -

The very tasteful knurled metal grip area is unique as well as classy.

The entire bow is very nicely made, almost an Art Deco design.

Thank you so much for posting the photographs.

It is always interesting to see and learn about bows from other parts of the world that we seldom if ever see here in the States.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Pierre » Wed May 11, 2011 10:45 am

Wade, You'r welcome.
here is a better pic of the handle:

Among the few I own the heaviest is about 40lbs which is wayenough because when you shoot them , the handshock is here.... they creeated quite a few different designs.
Here is a picture coming from the musée de l'archerie, in Crepy en Valois, near Paris. I know at least one other design and the lowest one is not an attempt at building an aluminum yumi, it rather appears that the handel has slipped down the bow

I lowe these metallic bows they are the first attemps to industrially build bows.
Pierre
Spike Bull

Postby Wade Phillips » Wed May 11, 2011 11:08 am

Pierre -

Thank you so much for posting the photograph of the entire metal handle. It is beatiful.

Your other photographs are equally impressive.

It is interesting that they have such a close resemblence to the shape of the True Temper.

Of course the cork handle of the True Temper lacks the style and grace of your handle.
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

An aluminium bow

Postby Berny » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:55 am

Pierre, Wade et alia,
any of you recognise this bow:
No id marks on it, believed to be US made.
Berny
Spike Bull

Return to History of Archery