Bear Archery Bow Book, Who is going to write it?

Created for the History of Archery. A place for collectors, enthusiast, onlookers, and answers.

Bear Archery Bow Book, Who is going to write it?

Postby Missaukee » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:55 am

I have read Rich Lopez's interview with the late Al Reader many times. Every time, I get sad when I read of his plans to write a book on Bear bows. It seems time is running out for such a venture. It is a huge task. But as Bear employees, and collectors pass away I feel a sense of urgency. Who is going to write it?

If not a book at least a document of all that is known. I do not know who is who out there, but I see on the collector forums that Bowdoc, Wade Phillips and Rich Lopez among others seem to be very knowledgible.

Maybe a book isn't necessary, we have the catalogs. I guess the interesting stuff is the many oddities that occur. There are many collectibles that don't have much literature about them.

I am offering encouragement and whatever help a 25 yr old Graduate Student can offer. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Missaukee on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Missaukee
Raghorn Bull

Re: Bear Archery Bow Book, Who is going to write it?

Postby bowdoc » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:50 am

I personaly have about 6-7 ledgers of Bear bow serial numbers and about about 6-7 ledgers of field notes on Bear bows.I've interviewed many many retired Bear workers and its very diffucult to sort out the facts because everyone has a different story about Fred and how things worked at Bear Archery.Lunch box bows were few and far between and really may have been more stories then truth.But to be able to write it accurite would be diffecult.I worked on lots of Al's custom bows and spoke with him nearly once a week before his untimly passing we talked for many hrs on how and what to write but just never got it together bd
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Grant Young » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:32 am

I agree; we really don't have time to burn anymore. I've spoken to Wade briefly on this subject and I hope that something materializes. I feel that there is an opportunity here to create both a valuable piece of reference material as well as an entertaining and informative history. I certainly hope it materializes. GY
Grant Young
4X4 Bull

Postby Missaukee » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:43 am

Good input. I will be away from the internet for a week, and I hope collectors and fans alike continue to discuss. I am excited to see any input over the coming week.
Missaukee
Raghorn Bull

Postby Ardent Archer » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:03 pm

Incredible...I was googling the web to see where my new book "Bear Archery Traditional Bows: A Chronologiical History" was being posted and ran across this old thread from about 5 1/2 years ago.

I waited for years for Al Reader (or somebody) to write this book that both Al himself and Joe St. Charles said was needed many years ago. When we lost Al, reality struck me and 6 years later I commited. Attempting to describe 40+ bow models over the span of 66 years with the many variable changes set the bar awfully high (maybe way too high). But it's done.

I found out that some of the photos donated to me for the book came already mislabeled by the donors and had to replace 6 out of 615 photos (not too bad). Also made a few correcitons to the tables. Had some excellent help fromn wade Phillips himself. He is a fountain of information! I recently submitted these corrections with the publisher so in about 3-4 weeks the revised run will be
out....
Ardent Archer
Spike Bull

Postby Winter Hawk » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:37 pm

Winter Hawk
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Greywolf » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:49 am

That will make for some interesting reading

Mahalo
You never get a second chance to make a first good shot Greywolf

Skype name
mark-in-hawaii
Greywolf
Global Moderator

Return to History of Archery