Anybody no about Bruce Bourquin recurve

Created for the History of Archery. A place for collectors, enthusiast, onlookers, and answers.

Anybody no about Bruce Bourquin recurve

Postby ishi1archer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:15 pm

I picked up an old recurve at the fleamarket. It looks to be from the late 50's. Has leather wrapped handle and a bushing in handle for an old Bear quiver. It's about 65" long and has brown glass on back and white glass on belly. It's signed Bruce Bourquin on upper limb. It feels to be about 70#.

ishi1archer
Spike Bull

Re: Anybody no about Bruce Bourquin recurve

Postby Wade Phillips » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:48 pm

Judging from the shape of the riser and shelf as well as the belly glass, I would guess 1950s.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young
Wade Phillips
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Fletcher » Tue May 17, 2011 3:49 pm

As luck would have it, I was short of something to Google, so I Googled my father's name. I found Google cluttered with somebody else with his name but obviously, it wasn't him. So, I added Archery to the search: "Bruce Bourquin archery", and your message turned up.

Wade Phillips is pretty close to right. My father made his last bow in the early sixties. Bear Archery was producing excellent equipment around that time, Bruce was the Bear Rep for New Jersey and the viscinity, and it just made no sense to try to complete. In stead, he and my mother came up with the idea of an indoor archery range that would work more like a bowling alley. Instead of having a general cease fire while everyone walked to the target to retreive their arrows and mark their scores, they decided to have the targets come to the shooting line so individuals could shoot at their own rate. They took the bowling alley theme a bit farther and invented a game that in its scoring resembled bowling and range was designed and decorated to work with that. The At the time of his death in 1962, we had several leagues shooting weekly and we're doing an awful lot of teaching. I was a bit to young to step into his shoes and the 10hr/6 day weeks of business was more than my mother wanted to handle.

Incidentally, the name of the person who commissioned the bow may be on it somewhere. And I was sure he dated them as well.

The bow in your photos seems to be in extraordinary condition Congratulations!

Fletcher
Fletcher
Spike Bull

Postby FullDraw » Tue May 17, 2011 9:43 pm

Welcome to TradRag, Fletcher. Great story.
N.E. Representative Oklahoma Selfbow Society (OSS)
Member - Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Member - NWTF - Eastern Oklahoma County Strutters
Life member NRA
U.S. Army - Vietnam Veteran
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, ... Proverbs 1:7a
FullDraw
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Fletcher » Sun May 22, 2011 8:31 pm

The pleasure was mine, but thanks for the compliment and the welcome, Fulldraw.

_Fletch
Fletcher
Spike Bull

Postby bowdoc » Mon May 23, 2011 8:44 am

sure looks 50's early 60's which fits the time line for fletchers info.Cool looking bow and just from the pics the limbs do look fairly thick.Is it a reflex deflex type design when unstrung ? and now on to the indoor bowling alley archery range.In the late 50's early 60's somewhere in there.There were two bowling alley's next door to each other near our house.One was the old closed down and the other the new updated.Some times in the 1950's someone bought the old one and turned it into and indoor auto retrive targets archery range.Just as you mention it retrived the target rather then you retriving your arrows.Years ago Joe StCharles told me the name of the person or persons that used to own the auto retrive target archery ranges.And now I hear this bell ringing in my head.Would that have been Bruce ?? and ? that owned those auto retirive archery ranges ? bd
bowdoc
Royal (6X6) Bull

Postby Fletcher » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:15 pm

Wow! I'm sorry about the time it's taken me to reply. This isn't a regular stop for me and it's easy to lose track of the gazillion thinks I do on the internet.

Anyway, My folks contructed a building to house the indoor range. It was situated behind their shop on Black Horse Pike in Mt Ephraim, NJ. Ooops! Tere goes the backyard!
I'm not sure what year the project was started --maybe late 50's, but like most experiemental things, it was never really finished. For example, he revised the design of the traveling targets at least three times that I can recall, due to mechanical problems. Intitially they were on an overhead tram.

Since my last note, I've found people who still have some of Dad's Port Orford cedar arrows, in good shape. Alos found a few more bows. One was on eBay.

_Fletcher
Fletcher
Spike Bull

Postby Seneca Archer » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:20 pm

That's a really neat looking bow. I love the 50's butcher-block risers. Looks like a LH Bourquin bow will be on my wish list.....

Thanks for sharing the historical info Fletch.
Seneca Archer
5X5 Bull

Postby Horse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:42 am

Fletcher wrote:Wow! I'm sorry about the time it's taken me to reply. This isn't a regular stop for me and it's easy to lose track of the gazillion thinks I do on the internet.

Anyway, My folks contructed a building to house the indoor range. It was situated behind their shop on Black Horse Pike in Mt Ephraim, NJ. Ooops! Tere goes the backyard!
I'm not sure what year the project was started --maybe late 50's, but like most experiemental things, it was never really finished. For example, he revised the design of the traveling targets at least three times that I can recall, due to mechanical problems. Intitially they were on an overhead tram.

Since my last note, I've found people who still have some of Dad's Port Orford cedar arrows, in good shape. Alos found a few more bows. One was on eBay.

_Fletcher

Hi Fletcher
I was a regular customer at the Archery Range and shot in a few of the leagues. I remember you, you raced Mini Coopers back then around 1967 if I remember. I met Fred Bear there around that time at the range. He made a personal apperance and showed some of his hunting movies. Great time in my life.

Jim Gallagher
Horse
Horse
Spike Bull

Postby Fletcher » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:21 pm

Wow! Hi Jim.
I remember you well. Something tells me we might not recognized each other now-a-days though.<G>
Yep, I was headed toward racing Minis back then, but one day I arrived at my shop to find someone had cleaned it out - everything but the skeleton of the car. I was too short of money to even consider starting over. Racing isn't for the light of wallet, so it probably saved me a lot of money I the long run. I moved on.

Sorry about the time it's taken me to catch your note and reply, but great to hear from you. I hope you and yours are well.

Best regards,
_Fletch
Fletcher
Spike Bull

Postby Horse » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:10 pm

Good to hear from you Bruce, I'm in South Jersey for now but should be heading back to Montana soon (I hope) I drive by the range all the time, it's an appliance parts store now. I stopped in there about 15 years ago for a washer part and got talking to the kid behind the counter and was telling him all about your archery range that was there while I was waiting for my part. After about two minutes he said look I'm really not interested and walked away. Oh well lol.
Hang in there
Jim
Horse
Horse
Spike Bull

Return to History of Archery