Fred Bear Kodiak Special 1965

Created for the History of Archery. A place for collectors, enthusiast, onlookers, and answers.

Fred Bear Kodiak Special 1965

Postby Any1there? » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:03 am

I wonder if anyone can help me. I've already posted in the wrong area and was directed here. I have a bow that is a 1965 Kodiak Special. Where the serial number usually is, the word "Display" is painted on with the 66" 40#. Since I'm only new to dating a few bows I'm selling on Ebay, does anyone know or care why the word display is on this particular bow? Does it make it more "special?" Just wondering. Thanks to anyone who has an answer.
Any1there?
Spike Bull

Re: Fred Bear Kodiak Special 1965

Postby Any1there? » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Actually we have a 1964. The grip is rounded and smooth, not squared off. Still don't know why it would say Display instead of a serial number. If anyone knows, that would be great. Thanks!
Any1there?
Spike Bull

Re: Fred Bear Kodiak Special 1965

Postby wadde » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:11 pm

The bow was given to a dealer to display it. Sometimes they had a bear arrow tacked to them as part of the display. You will see two small holes if it had an arrow as part of the display. As far as I know they were shootable bows that bear marked for the dealers to display in their shops. They are collectable as they are less common than other bows of the same years.
wadde
4X4 Bull

Return to History of Archery