Traditional Fire Piston | 3Rivers

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.
TradRag
Site Admin
Traditional Fire Piston | 3Rivers

Post by TradRag » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:08 pm

Designed after the fire pistons developed in Indonesia, this ingenious device makes camping, hunting, or hiking an authentic traditional experience! Simply place a small amount of tinder in the piston cavity, insert the piston into the cylinder, and strike the piston with your palm. Friction does the rest, causing a spark that can then be used to ignite a campfire.

Comes with piston, cylinder, char cloth, and detailed instructions. Don't leave for your next outdoor expedition without it!
Has anybody tried this? Seems a bit costly when compared to a magnesium striker. Your input on this..?
Fire Piston
Fire Piston
FirePiston.jpg (7.46KiB)Viewed 7466 times
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

trad-hunter
4X4 Bull

Re: Traditional Fire Piston | 3Rivers

Post by trad-hunter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:07 pm

What is the price of it? I have seen others like this work and it is pretty amazing.
In God We Trust
Black Widow Tackle Pro Staff Member http://blackwidowtackle.com
->>>---------------->
www.pocketpower.org/284166

TradRag
Site Admin

Post by TradRag » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:17 pm

They are asking $60 for it.
"Ne Desit Virtus" ("Let Valor Not Fail")
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Charter Member
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma Member
PBS Associate Member
Founder of TradRag.com

trad-hunter
4X4 Bull

Post by trad-hunter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:20 pm

Yea thats kind of steep!
In God We Trust
->>>---------------->

trad-hunter
4X4 Bull

Post by trad-hunter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:21 pm

You can probably make one for little of nothing.
In God We Trust
->>>---------------->

Full Quiver
Royal (6X6) Bull

Post by Full Quiver » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:24 pm

I've tried to make one out of a brass pipe & cap, but could not make it work. I probably did not have it sealed tight enough, takes a lot of compression to make the air hot. I just set it aside & will get back to it someday. I like the idea & if I calculated in all the time I spent gathering materials, doing the research, building it, & then trying to make it work, buying one might be the cheaper way! :roll:
Donnie Wilson
Charter Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Member Compton Traditional Bowhunters

born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Post by born2hunt » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:03 pm

That's a nice looking unit, for sure. I have used a similar piston and they work great, if you can keep all moisture out of it. No matter what you carry, when it comes to fire making, be redundant and think, "How will this work when things are really wet, including the fuel I'm trying to start?""What if I fell in the water?". Then practice with whatever you decide to carry BEFORE you head to the woods.

I will say, there are alot of ways to start a fire that don't cost $60.

A small magnifying glass is cheaper and can get wet.
9 volt battery and steel wool or cotton balls soaked in kerosene/parafin with a flint striker work well, as does the Magnesium striker mentioned above. Carry a candle too.

Everybody should learn to make and use a Fire-set (wood bow type) just in case you get separated from your matches and Bic lighter or these other devices.

Ken

born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Post by born2hunt » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:17 pm

http://www.onagocag.com/index.html

The above link is to a very informative site that covers things such as firemaking (including indepth fire piston), flint knapping, buckskinning and other interesting items.

It should be a "Must Read" for anybody interested in traditional/primitive crafts.

Ken

JuanR
4X4 Bull

Post by JuanR » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:06 pm

I started one out of bamboo -need to get back on it- been set aside for awhile.

William Three Coons
Raghorn Bull

Post by William Three Coons » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:06 pm

It is worth all of the 60 bucks as it is make of some fancy burl wood and is precision made, which it must be to work. Anyone can make one who can drill a hole and ream it smooth, then fit the piston. Many of this type use neoprene seals (O rings) I have seen them, but don't own one as to me these are a novelty.

I even have access to the touchwood tinder these use, which catches spark as is with flint and steel. I own several flint and steel sets and 2 bow drills for fire and drilling holes. Each one can do both chores.

Once I had so much flint I gave it away, but one guy took it all and the snapping turtle dish all of it was in.

I had a sign saying free flint, which as i saw it ment take one if you wanted, but i didn't mean all of it and the dish too!

I wouldn't give you 2 cents for a magnesium bar either, as to me it is as much a novelty as any. I would never have it when I needed it and it could wear out, and or get lost. If I had one it would get lost before I used it 2 times.

adkmountainken
Spike Bull

Post by adkmountainken » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:25 pm

i'm sure the $60 is becouse it is such a fine piece as it really is made well. you could find one cheaper just not as good looking. as for the tinder you can get it from birch trees just google it or i have a TON of it.

born2hunt
5X5 Bull

Post by born2hunt » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:16 pm

adkmountainken wrote:i'm sure the $60 is becouse it is such a fine piece as it really is made well. you could find one cheaper just not as good looking.
I don't know, I did a Google search and all I found were $60 and up.

Raincrow
4X4 Bull

Post by Raincrow » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:42 pm

One of the knappers who comes to OJAM shows how to start a fire with sticks. The main purpose is creating the ember. This device works on the same principle, but only takes one strike and the piston must be tight enough to create pressure which creates an ember.

I've always wanted to try one, but I'd like to see it demo'd before I spend $60.00

Terry
Terry Newman
Oklahoma Selfbow Society Founding Member
Editor - "Drawknife" ( OSS Newsletter)
2014 Selfbow Hall of Fame inductee

Jared
Spike Bull

Post by Jared » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:02 pm

Backwoodsman magazine had an article, how to make one for around 10 bucks a few months ago. Used copper tubing, so it wasn't so pretty but supposedly worked well. Haven't made one myself yet but the following issues had letters from folks who were happy with them.

They are a bit of a novelty, but do work, and I'm of the opinion that you can't know too many ways to start fire.

Double Tee
4X4 Bull

Post by Double Tee » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:25 am

There is a web site(can't think of it now?)that has all kinds,fancy and even one that was pen sized for your pocket (metal) I think they even had kits to make your own.If it comes to mind I'll post.It is sure enough neat but,I think in a pinch there are better ways to start a fire that would be more dependable? (still want one though!)
John Quillin

toddsmith
Spike Bull

Post by toddsmith » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:20 pm

Fire pistons are actually VERY reliable AND compact. So if you have one with you, especially in extreme cold, you can get a spark when even lighters don't work. Check out Wildersol.com. They have a ton of them and great information on the benefits. todd smith

toddsmith
Spike Bull

Post by toddsmith » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:45 pm

The 3Rivers price should be about right.

Try this one. Lots of good information there.
http://www.wildersol.com/

toddsmith

Moogusida
Spike Bull

Post by Moogusida » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:12 pm

Yes, it's a very important thing to have in your bin when your matches got moist and you have to make a bonfire. I will buy this thing for sure.
hunting god

daniel.liss
4X4 Bull

Post by daniel.liss » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:45 pm

Hey airborne dont they teach you how to make fire using privates!!!! lol it seems legit but I use magnesium never failed me and I always have a knife on me anyways it seems the more that they come out with for easier living in the woods the heavier our packs get. I have a mystery ranch over load and it seems to always get filled to the brim no matter how light i wish it was. if it wasn't for the pack I would never be able to handle it! the Ole Alice pack dont cut it anymore
Professional Predator
Train, Learn, Become
facebook.com/whatnatureintendedusfor

robert n leeper
5X5 Bull

Post by robert n leeper » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:58 pm

i prefer my flint and steel ?magnesium to anything else ive seen or tried. it works rain or shine i dont have to worry about moisture or anything. a patch of cotton a drop of hand sanitizer and ive got a fire :campfire:
Joseph had a coat of many colors, mine are green brown tan and gray
member: Team hornaday
depthcharge559@gmail.com
powderkeg@blogger.com

Smithhammer
Spike Bull

Post by Smithhammer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:32 am

I've never used a piston, but am I missing some big advantage that a piston has over a simple magnesium stick? Pistons seem more finicky and way more expensive, which I could understand if they were also way more effective, but are they?

Whitewolf
5X5 Bull

Post by Whitewolf » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:26 pm

Personaly, I'm a fan of waterproof matches. ;)
One stick, one string. What more does a guy need? Oh yeah, and something that makes LOTS of smoke when you pull the trigger!