Mowrey muzzle loader

Traditional Muzzleloaders, Flintlocks, Pistols, front stuffer kits, etc.

Mowrey muzzle loader

Postby redfred on Wed May 13, 2009 11:50 pm

Anybody know about Mowrey Muzzle loaders? I bought a Bicentennial Special Model 606 50 caliber (made in 1976) at a garage sale years ago. It was made in Olney, TX, but the factory closed long ago. I need to get it repaired, so if anyone knows a gunsmith in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that works on muzzle loaders, I'd appreciate a tip.
I've never owned a muzzle loader before. How do I find out what loads to use? The gun came with a few round lead balls, but I notice in the stores, most ammo is the saboted bullets. I assume that's an improved design. Will those work in my gun?
Any tips you can share on learning to use the gun would be appreciated. Thanks, Fred

redfred
Spike Bull

Re: Mowrey muzzle loader

Postby Captchee on Thu May 14, 2009 8:19 am

mowery is a fairly simple design .
depending on what parts you need , most any actual gunsmith can make it for you .

as to shooting and loads . pick you up a lyman BP loading manuel , and whatch e-bay for one of Fadelas , books . both are a good place to start .
as to sabots . no they are not an improvment . what they are is a design for a faster twist more modern muzzleloading rifle . the trend there is for higher, vaster volocities exseeding 2200 fps .
basicly shooting a sub caliber round , thus you need a sabot to take up the space
this is where the corlock and jacketed rounds also come into play . soft lead begins to break up at right around 2200 fps ,

so the first think i would tell you , is get the books .
but in the main time you need to find out the twist of your barrels rifling . this can be done by using your cleanning jag , with a tight patch . mark the RR just as you start it in the bore . when it makes a full revolution mark it again . if you reach the breech before it makes a full revalution , mark the RR when it hits the bore .
using the above method , one can figure out the twist .

the rate of twist is important becouse it will then dictated the loads and projectiles you can use
Such treaties may be alright for men who are too old to hunt or fight. As for me, I have my young warriors about me. We will hold our land."
- Tsi'yu-gunsini ,Chief Dragging Canoe, Chickamauga Tsalagi (Cherokee) 1775

Captchee
Global Moderator

Re: Mowrey muzzle loader

Postby redfred on Thu May 14, 2009 11:13 pm

Thanks for the great info. I'll get the books and start studying.

redfred
Spike Bull

Return to Traditional Muzzleloaders