Jukar Spain 45 Cal. pistol

Traditional Muzzleloaders, Flintlocks, Pistols, front stuffer kits, etc.

Jukar Spain 45 Cal. pistol

Postby C.J. Pearson on Mon May 23, 2011 9:00 pm

A friend of mine gave me a 45 cal. Jukar Spain side lock pistol. Des anyone know anything about them?

C.J. Pearson
Spike Bull

Re: Jukar Spain 45 Cal. pistol

Postby Captchee on Tue May 24, 2011 6:32 am

yep , i know alot about them . . they were mainly produced in Spain the mid to late 1970's . production halted when Jukar took over production for CVA.
they are rather cheep . but they can make nice pieces and reasonable shooters .
here is a link to the tutorial that i did a year or so ago on a little 45 cal ,Jukar that had seen its better days
http://www.tradrag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=506
Such treaties may be alright for men who are too old to hunt or fight. As for me, I have my young warriors about me. We will hold our land."
- Tsi'yu-gunsini

Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby hanshi on Tue May 24, 2011 9:36 am

Just read through the tutorial, capt, and it is EXCELLENT! What an amazing job you did. I need a small pistol so I guess I'll be on the lookout for a used cheapo to redo. :applaud:
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

hanshi
5X5 Bull

Postby C.J. Pearson on Tue May 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Man Capt. that is beautiful. Looks like I have alot of options. Thanks for responding
Last edited by C.J. Pearson on Tue May 24, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C.J. Pearson
Spike Bull

Postby Captchee on Tue May 24, 2011 7:41 pm

they are alot of fun to play around with . the stock wood normaly isnt good enough to do a whole lot with .
but they can be much nicer then what you start with if you do alittle work .
Such treaties may be alright for men who are too old to hunt or fight. As for me, I have my young warriors about me. We will hold our land."
- Tsi'yu-gunsini

Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby C.J. Pearson on Tue May 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Yea this one had some terrible runs in the finish. There are file marks all over the wood. I took the whole thing apart and started sanding the stock this evening. I have used leather dye for years on arrows and a few self bows I have built. I was very glad to see you mentioned that in your build along. The finish that is on the stock now is almost a yellow varnish. Kind of anxious to get it off there.
I don't know if I'm ready to try all the engraving but then again I am planning on building me a flint lock so this would be good to practice on.
Thanks for all the help Capt. I'm sure I'll be in touch with you to gain some knowledge.

C.J. Pearson
Spike Bull

Postby Captchee on Wed May 25, 2011 7:02 am

any time , ill be glad to help all i can
- Tsi'yu-gunsini

Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby Jaymo on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:26 pm

Captchee, how much would you charge to do to my Jukar Colonial pistol what you did for roaring bull's Jukar?
Mine looks just like his, except that mine is in excellent condition. Appears to have been fired very little.

Jaymo
Spike Bull

Postby Captchee on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:16 am

first i would remind you that no mater what i do , your still only going to have a Jukar pistol . by having me do the work your going to end up with more invested in the pistol then what the monitary value will ever be .
the one i did for Roaring bull was part of a a trade . so time and labor wasnt something that was a concern for him . or for that mater myself as it was part of a bargin that we struck .
now that being said , it depends on what you want done .
if its just re shaping , finishing and such 100.00 + shipping
if you want me to restock it in a diffrent wood . do the inlays and such , then it depends on what im doing and what i have to make .

i also need to let you know that right now im working on a couple very high end pieces . one of which i have to have finished in the next month and the others started right after . the first "a La page Pistol " has taken me 6 months and i exspect the rifle to take just as long . so unless something were to change , which i dont exspect , i will have to spend 100% of my consentration on those pieces first
- Tsi'yu-gunsini

Captchee
Global Moderator

Postby Jaymo on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:26 pm

Not looking to sell it. Just want it to look a lot better than it did from the factory, which you certainly accomplished with RB's Jukar.
I won't want it restocked. I liked the thinning/reshaping and inlay work you did to it. I'd like for mine to also have an inlay on the butt, visually similar to the butt cap on the Pedersoli Navy Moll.
I'd also like to get rid of the 2 brass washers under the lockplate bolts on the left side. I'd rather have a retaining plate.

lI may go ahead and start working on it myself. The washers wouldn't bother me much, if they were inlaid, but they're just wide cones that bear against the surface of the stock.
I can make new brass washers from some 1/8" brass sheet I have, and counterbore the screw holes, so they end up being sanded flush with the stock.
I'll probably file/sand/repolish the TG, so it looks better than stock. I may make shims for the trigger, to get rid of that side-to-side slop that bugs me.
I want to make a new ramrod from brass, with imitation ivory tips.

I need to know where to find patterns for sideplates, and inlays. Preferably free

What I'd really like to do is inlet a cap box into the butt, like I saw on an old original BP pistol. Maybe even have a poured pewter inlay surrounding it.

I also have a TC Renegade that I think could use an iron Hawken-style cap box or patch box. Or both. I'd like for it to have a trapdoor buttplate for caps, and a patch box on the side of the butt. It would be nice if I didn't have to carry my patches and caps separately when hunting with it.

BTW, where do you get your pewter?

Jaymo
Spike Bull

Postby Captchee on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:21 am

understood .
first Pedersoli Navy Moll always reminded me of nothing more then a spoon used as an inlay .
so you could use a nice sterling silver spoon of the right size or take some sheet brass , anneal it . Then form it to shape and inlet it to the pommel

As to patterns for inlays . Inlays can be what ever you want . The most common shapes though can be seen in any muzzle loading builders catalog . Same goes for your side plate .
If you want to get rid of those washers . Then look around and find you a photo of a side plate you like . Then just scale it to your pistol and cut it from sheet brass . 1/8 is thick enough for that .
Track of the Wolf has a lot of photos of their inlays as does muzzleloader builder supply . Just look through their online catalog .
The other thing you can do is do a Google search for muzzle loading pistol or dueling pistols . Then click on the photo tab for that search .
Take close note of the originals because a lot of these will be hits from auction websites that have guns up for auction . Simply go through the photos . That way you will see a lot of different inlays . Where they were used on the guns and what shapes were used on the different grades of guns .
You also may very well find an original gun that you like better . If so you might consider using your parts to make a semblance of that original piece .
Use your imagination . You will be surprised at what you can do if you just put your mind to it and pay attention to the details .
If you do go that route . Save all the photos of that gun you can find . That way you can use them for reference

As to pewter . I buy pewter when ever I run across it . Most times yards sales auctions and such .
Those big novelty belt buckles are normally all pewter under the plating . Some are brass or bronze but most pewter. Watch for cups , plates , candle sticks and such . But if you see a signature and the words English pewter , you best research alittle before you melt it down or you may find out later that you just destroyed a 50-100 dollar collectable to make an inlay or nose cap .
Recently I bought a set of mugs. Paid 5.00 for the set of 5 .
Came home an tossed them out in the melting bucket . A couple months ago I was getting ready to melt them down when I notice markings on the bottoms . So I did a quick internet search and fount out that each cup was worth about 45.00 each . Needless to say , they aren’t going to get melted down
- Tsi'yu-gunsini

Captchee
Global Moderator

Return to Traditional Muzzleloaders