...Kit guns..........

What's on your mind? Discuss anything 'off topic.' Fishing, Camping, Hobbies, etc.

...Kit guns..........

Postby hawgslayer on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:49 pm

:?

I need some opinions and or first hand knowledge here gents concerning kit guns. I'm looking at a "Traditions" St.Louis Hawken percussion kit. It has adj sights, 28" barrel, 1in 48" twist, 44"s overall length and weighs in at 6.5#s for $365.00.
The price isn't my concern. It's how safe are these kit guns to shoot and how is the accuracy :?:
The other rifle is a Lyman Deerstalker .54 already put together for $450.00.
Your thoughts and opinions and first hand knowledge will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray........... ;)
CVA Hawken .58
Investarms Flinter .54
T/C Renegade .54
T/C PA Hunter .50
T/C New Englander .50

Semper Fi.........

hawgslayer
4X4 Bull

Re: ...Kit guns..........

Postby Winter Hawk on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:09 pm

I have built two, a CVA Mountain Rifle in 1986 and a Deer Creek Rifle (read, CVA Mountain Rifle parts) and both were good to use. I also have a T-C New Englander shotgun which was a kit someone else put together and it is a real dandy! The kits are good to get your feet wet, then go on to some of the "real" kits offered by Track of the Wolf, Chambers, Pecatonica etc. I haven't had the funds to go to that point yet, but my Deer Creek does me just fine.

~Kees~

Winter Hawk
5X5 Bull

Postby hawkthrower on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:10 am

Kit guns are a very good way to get up to speed with black powder shooting. KIt's are a relatively inexpensive way to begin to learn something about building and shooting. However do not think a kit will be all you need to build from scratch. There are many tools and skills needed to accomplish a full build even from parts that a kit will not provide lessons for. That said I have built many kits over the years and with care and patience the kits have produced very handsome, accurate weapons. I am very proud to have the opportunity to carry items i have invested my time and care in on hunts. I practice with them regularly and my work has encouraged others to try thier hands at building kits too. So in a way building and shooting the kits I have finished is also promoting and preserving the tradition.

Hawgslayer either of the rifles you mention if in good working order with good bores are an excellent place to start.
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher

hawkthrower
5X5 Bull

Postby hawgslayer on Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:51 am

:D

Thanks gents for your replies. I may try and put together a Great Plains down the road. I may call on you guys for additional help or info if I go down that road.

Thanks again,
Ray.............. :applaud: :applaud:
CVA Hawken .58
Investarms Flinter .54
T/C Renegade .54
T/C PA Hunter .50
T/C New Englander .50

Semper Fi.........

hawgslayer
4X4 Bull

Postby greenmountain on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:22 pm

There are a few advantages to kit guns. 1. price. 2. you get a good understanding of what is important when you fit hardware to a stock just so.3. Pride of accomplishment. In my opinion if you buy a kit solely to save money it is not a great choice. Unless you want to put the time into fitting just right don't buy one. I have a few kit guns and they all show off my unique preferences. They are good shooters too.
Native Vermonter and proud to be a sportsman

greenmountain
4X4 Bull

Postby Whitewolf on Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:10 pm

I built a flintlock kit a few years ago. Actually, quite a few years ago. One of the great things about putting together your own from a kit, is you can make it your own. I wanted something that would be similar to a Kentucky Long Rifle. I wanted to look like a working mans rifle, but a working man who had an itty bit of money to spare. I lightened up the stock (when I first got it, you couldn't even see the thimbles from the side. Now they shine). I inset a moon, hunters star and comet. Added a nose piece, worked on the trigger guard and took the blue off the barrel and browned it. I made it 'mine'. These are just some ideas for you to ponder.
One stick, one string. What more does a guy need? Oh yeah, and something that makes LOTS of smoke when you pull the trigger!

Whitewolf
5X5 Bull

Postby georgestepo on Mon May 19, 2014 8:29 am

I don't get the idea of the Kit Gun. It's basically a light weight 22LR revolver. Supposedly, fisherman keeps one in their tacklebox, hikers and campers has theirs in the backpack. But what would they use the plinking round for?

Last edited by georgestepo on Tue May 20, 2014 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

georgestepo
Spike Bull

Postby Winter Hawk on Mon May 19, 2014 10:47 am

georgestepo wrote:I don't get the idea of the Kit Gun. It's basically a light weight 22LR revolver. Supposedly, fisherman keeps one in their tacklebox, hikers and campers has theirs in the backpack. But what would they use the plinking round for?

Wrong type of "kit gun". We are discussing a kit you buy to build your own muzzle loading gun. Basically you get all the parts, then you get to inlet them, finish everything and assemble the gun.

~WH~

Winter Hawk
5X5 Bull

Postby hawkthrower on Mon May 19, 2014 6:54 pm

Sorry Winter Hawk, I kinda have to agree with Georgestepo - if your going to carry a gun in your kit, a .22 is about half too small.....
I prefer my .44! :lol:

but I don't think you can build a rifle out of a knapsack! For some reason the parts just don't seem to screw together :eek: :rolf:
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher

hawkthrower
5X5 Bull

Postby campcook on Fri May 23, 2014 11:10 pm

To answer your original question I've finished kits from both companies and I think Lyman produces a better quality kit. Hope you didn't already buy the CVA. Alex

campcook
Royal (6X6) Bull

Return to TradRag Den - General Discussion